Wage bill?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The booze hound

Wage bill?

Post by The booze hound »

I wonder what our wage bill is in relation to teams like Leeds, Warrington, Saints and Salford. I'd guess Leeds are up to or close to the salary cap and us and Wire have reduced our respective wage bills from last year. Salfords must have sky rocketed with quite a few big name players in their twighlight years, ie Morley, Meli etc.
cpwigan

Re: Wage bill?

Post by cpwigan »

All those clubs incl Salford spend virtually the full cap. Wigan certainly in past seasons under IL have left approx 100,000 in the cap as a contingency to allow mid season signings etc.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:All those clubs incl Salford spend virtually the full cap. Wigan certainly in past seasons under IL have left approx 100,000 in the cap as a contingency to allow mid season signings etc.
If Wire are spending full cap, they have managed it very badly indeed. And considering change in personnel this year, I'd say we have a lot more than £100,000 slack in ours. Certainly must be enough for any signing that comes up and upgrade existing contracts. Budgie's must be on the cards?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Don't know why this was in the the Rumour Mill :conf:

Moved to main Warriors forum :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Why spend more if you think you have have a squad capable of getting success.

If you find that you are not getting the success, then you spend in order to improve it.

Simple business logic!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Why spend more if you think you have have a squad capable of getting success.

If you find that you are not getting the success, then you spend in order to improve it.

Simple business logic!
And a poor way to run a professional sports club.

If there is a chance to improve the squad you take it. Otherwise someone else will and before you know it that squad you thought was capable of getting success isn't.

Remember we have always done this. Mike Ford was a very good scrum half but Andy Gregory was better. Apply your simple business logic logic and we would have never signed Andy Gregory and who knows if we would have been as successful.

Replacing good players with better ones if the opportunity arises is (or should be) what we expect to see.

You also don't want to wait until you are not getting success as that in itself represents failure.

If you want to apply some business logic as well, signing top class players generates interest, sponsorship opportunities and puts bums on seats generating revenue.

In short the club should always assume it can improve the squad and never be complacent enough to think it can ever stop trying to do that.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

What you say Dave makes good sense. The adage don't fix it till it's broken is generally applied, however to progress will ever be made if you stic too this rule of thumb.
It's called progress as you say and is irrefutable if you want to go forward in sport or technology.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wandering Warrior wrote:What you say Dave makes good sense. The adage don't fix it till it's broken is generally applied, however to progress will ever be made if you stic too this rule of thumb.
It's called progress as you say and is irrefutable if you want to go forward in sport or technology.
Wire had the adage do not fix it until its broken and the wheels came off for them. They have kept a few players longer than they should have Morley, Briers, Hodgson etc.

Over the last 2 seasons players have been available but Wire were not open to letting an aging player go and take a calculated risk. In the last 2 years we have replaced our 6,7 with decent players and signed Taylor and Bateman replacing quality with quality. Though short term losing Hansen for me is a big blow but Bateman will be a better player in a year or 2.

As previously highlighted you can not stay still and expect to be the best in any sport. Whilst i am not happy at the rate of changes we do we seem to be doing it with a bit of thought and a bit of luck.

I do think its wise to stay under the cap with the thought of a contract extension or quality cover becoming available.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wandering Warrior wrote:What you say Dave makes good sense. The adage don't fix it till it's broken is generally applied, however to progress will ever be made if you stic too this rule of thumb.
Yes. We won a Challenge Cup in 1985 with a young 18 year old Mike Ford who you might have thought had a long future at the club but we signed Gregory and of course Clarke and McInnes were replaced as coaches.

You could hardly call that CC win a failure but the club felt if could improve certain players and staff and so did so despite the success.

It certainly didn't adopt the attitude of it wasn't broken so don't fix it.

In the same way we replaced Ford back then if a better 7 became along now than Smith I can't see why we would not replace him. (Not having a pop at Smith BTW, just using scrum half as an example).

The club will always look to its own production line as well and I have thought for a while it was deliberate not to give Smith and Green long term deals with a view to the young half backs taking over but even if that is the plan, were a better prospect to become available I'd expect the club to go for them.
xbrettkennyx

Post by xbrettkennyx »

DaveO wrote:
Yes. We won a Challenge Cup in 1985 with a young 18 year old Mike Ford who you might have thought had a long future at the club but we signed Gregory and of course Clarke and McInnes were replaced as coaches.

You could hardly call that CC win a failure but the club felt if could improve certain players and staff and so did so despite the success.

It certainly didn't adopt the attitude of it wasn't broken so don't fix it.

In the same way we replaced Ford back then if a better 7 became along now than Smith I can't see why we would not replace him. (Not having a pop at Smith BTW, just using scrum half as an example).

The club will always look to its own production line as well and I have thought for a while it was deliberate not to give Smith and Green long term deals with a view to the young half backs taking over but even if that is the plan, were a better prospect to become available I'd expect the club to go for them.
You are correct in your history, HOWEVER, that was in the days when RL was "on the up".

There was no Communist Cap to drag down aspiration, RU was not professional so no chance of player drain to that code and the currency situation meant that the the very top flight Aussies often guested in England.

Nowdays you can reverse every single one of the points I have made above.

There really is no "penalty" for employing average players. They gradual errosion of quality within RL will mean they are rarely found out.

Look at the Wigan squad even as recently as 4 years ago, compare it to the squad today and tell me where on earth the money from the wage savings has gone.
[/u]