Best overseas signing, biggest overseas flop?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Best overseas signing, biggest overseas flop?

Post by cpwigan »

Clubman wise you cannot look beyond Westy IMO; Captain, Coach, the man who presented more prizes / attended more openings / events than was seemingly possible.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Dave o, good call with mr botica as best union convert. Surely his stats put him down as a great. But for pure impact and flair in every game he played, Inga took my breath away. I remember Wigan v Australia at Central Park and he caused their full test team no end of problems and scored one hell of a try down the left flank with a dummy, cheeky chip over, gathered it under pressure and grounded the ball like it was national pie day.
I'm still convinced we'd have beat them swines if they didn't get away with consistent off-side for the last twenty minutes when we was peppering their line.
xbrettkennyx

Post by xbrettkennyx »

Overseas - Graeme West - did more for the club than any other I can think of

Worst - Moran, not only was he dire on the pitch, he was worse off it

RU convert- I would go with Frano
pieeater

Post by pieeater »

R.U Convert. Billy B
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

xbrettkennyx wrote:Overseas - Graeme West - did more for the club than any other I can think of

Worst - Moran, not only was he dire on the pitch, he was worse off it

RU convert- I would go with Frano
Billy was a RU convert!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The booze hound wrote:Dave o, good call with mr botica as best union convert. Surely his stats put him down as a great. But for pure impact and flair in every game he played, Inga took my breath away. I remember Wigan v Australia at Central Park and he caused their full test team no end of problems and scored one hell of a try down the left flank with a dummy, cheeky chip over, gathered it under pressure and grounded the ball like it was national pie day.
I'm still convinced we'd have beat them swines if they didn't get away with consistent off-side for the last twenty minutes when we was peppering their line.
I was there for that game as well. Superb try from Inga and I also felt we were unlucky not to win that game.
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Nobody has mentioned Steve 'The Zip Zip Man' Ella as one of the best Stand Offs we signed for the following 1985/86 season after Kenny.

Outstanding player and I will always remember him ripping Leeds apart at Headingley when we won 28-6.
Yes,agree but not here long enough So my choice would be Best Dean Bell and George Carmont. Worst. Can't recall his name but he was brought back by Murphy to play in Ch. Cup. I don't mean Cannon. Whelley you or Kitt might remember :)
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Too young to have seen Billy Boston so it has to be Dean Bell for me.
Deano was a leader with the heart of a lion, a true legend.
George Carmont and Paddy are a close 2nd and 3rd and not necessarily in that order.
George is a player I would have liked to have seen at Wigan from a younger age and for a longer period of time and Pat just got better as he matured.
We are blessed to have seen such talent at our club and all 3 were true gentlemen to boot.
bertina

Post by bertina »

devon jim 1 wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Nobody has mentioned Steve 'The Zip Zip Man' Ella as one of the best Stand Offs we signed for the following 1985/86 season after Kenny.

Outstanding player and I will always remember him ripping Leeds apart at Headingley when we won 28-6.
Yes,agree but not here long enough So my choice would be Best Dean Bell and George Carmont. Worst. Can't recall his name but he was brought back by Murphy to play in Ch. Cup. I don't mean Cannon. Whelley you or Kitt might remember :)
I think you mean Kerry hemsley. Hopeless !!
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

bertina wrote:[quote=devon
I
think you mean Kerry hemsley. Hopeless !!
No, Bertina, I didn't but I get Your Drift. I think his long hair got in his eyes :lol: I think he came over with Kerry possibly from Balmain. It'll bug me now until I remember his name. While I'm at it- shame on me for not including Pat in best overseas signing.My excuse is I think of him has one of our own. come to think of it thats an even igger compliment I think :lol: Just read CP's post re- Phil Blake He may have come from South Sydney about time of Blake. Maybe not :angry: