Positives from today?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Positives from today?

Post by southportcdm »

I was hoping that several players would take the opportunity to make a big impression today against Hunslet but several missed their chance. I realise that the game was won early on and that players lost their focus in the second half but some of them should have been desperate to put in a good performance to impress the coach.

What do the rest of you think?

Dan Sarginson did enough to get the centre spot over Gelling against Leeds. I still worry about his defence but I think that he looked keen today whilst Gelling probably missed his chance.

Jack Hughes continues to be frustrating. He looks as though he has all the tools to become a top second rower but doesn't seem to be improving

John Bateman - very impressed with him so far this year and has nothing to prove to Waney but missed his chance to play well at 13 (did seem to pick up an arm/hand injury. We're all hoping that he my one day replace Sean but only time will tell if 13 is his best position. It isn't at present.

Ryan Sutton - plenty of promise for the future, a good start to his first team career but can't be expected to play every match for a couple more years.

Sam Powell - O.K. after a long lay off but at present I'd choose George Williams as the back up for Mickey mac

Ryan Hampshire - why wasn't he given more game time? Matty Bowen didn't need the game

P.S. Tony Clubb is so much better at prop we should only play him in the back row in emergencies
ian.birchall

Re: Positives from today?

Post by ian.birchall »

southportcdm wrote:I was hoping that several players would take the opportunity to make a big impression today against Hunslet but several missed their chance. I realise that the game was won early on and that players lost their focus in the second half but some of them should have been desperate to put in a good performance to impress the coach.

What do the rest of you think?

Dan Sarginson did enough to get the centre spot over Gelling against Leeds. I still worry about his defence but I think that he looked keen today whilst Gelling probably missed his chance.

Jack Hughes continues to be frustrating. He looks as though he has all the tools to become a top second rower but doesn't seem to be improving

John Bateman - very impressed with him so far this year and has nothing to prove to Waney but missed his chance to play well at 13 (did seem to pick up an arm/hand injury. We're all hoping that he my one day replace Sean but only time will tell if 13 is his best position. It isn't at present.

Ryan Sutton - plenty of promise for the future, a good start to his first team career but can't be expected to play every match for a couple more years.

Sam Powell - O.K. after a long lay off but at present I'd choose George Williams as the back up for Mickey mac

Ryan Hampshire - why wasn't he given more game time? Matty Bowen didn't need the game

P.S. Tony Clubb is so much better at prop we should only play him in the back row in emergencies
Elsewhere I gave Gelling and Hughes 2/10 each, both very poor, the young lad at prop looks promising but the biggest shock was seeing Manfredi for the first time this season, he looks six inches taller and 2 stone heavier than last seasons version. No longer too small for the first team.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Just realised I missed off Manfredi. He's doing O.K. but is he ready to play against Leeds or do we put Sarginson back on the wing and Gelling at centre? I suppose as we have two games against them in quick succession, we could try both.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I thought we were pretty woeful in the 2nd half to be honest. One man rugby and quite a few unforced errors.

Nothing like the clinical way we played v Bradford.

We didn't look like a team so I think it was hard for anyone to impress because it was a lot of one man stuff. Some of the players you mention like Gelling were not being given quality ball to work with.

Bowen did need the game time or his match fitness would have been affected and so he had to play IMO but they could have have put Hampshire on at 6 given the way things went. An ideal opportunity to see how he went there but unfortunately it looks like he is already down as Sam T Mk II and I think this is a mistake.

Sarginson showed some nifty footwork at times but I have my doubts for some reason I can't quite fathom. He seems to have to try too hard rather than it be natural like it is for Burgess.

Crosby went well and Manfredi also looked good.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Immediately after the draw, I made 2 preductions. 1) We would not score 100 and 2) Hunslet would not be nilled. The game against North Wales indicated that Wane is not seeking total humiliation over a Championship One team, particularly Hunslet with whom we share a proud memory of an occasion nearly 50 years ago.

For me, the game bore this out. 42-0 after 30 minutes was enough to place the game out of their reach. No way was a team like Hunslet capable of restricting us to 12 points for the next 50 minutes. If you don't believe this, ask Bradford!

Wigan are in the next round without injuries and both teams came away from the game with their dignity intact.

Result!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:Immediately after the draw, I made 2 preductions. 1) We would not score 100 and 2) Hunslet would not be nilled. The game against North Wales indicated that Wane is not seeking total humiliation over a Championship One team, particularly Hunslet with whom we share a proud memory of an occasion nearly 50 years ago.

For me, the game bore this out. 42-0 after 30 minutes was enough to place the game out of their reach. No way was a team like Hunslet capable of restricting us to 12 points for the next 50 minutes. If you don't believe this, ask Bradford!

Wigan are in the next round without injuries and both teams came away from the game with their dignity intact.

Result!
The only reason we didn't match the Bradford score was our execution in the 2nd half was poor. Not because we didn't want to humiliate Hunslet. Smith passing the ball into touch and the numerous other unforced errors we made were not some kind of choreographed game plan designed to be nice to the opposition.

michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

The only positives I thought we gained today was that we are in the next round of the cup and we didnt pick up any extra injuries.
Our second half performance was quite poor and now I have serious doubts of Gellings place in the squad and Jack Hughes needs to up his game.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:Immediately after the draw, I made 2 preductions. 1) We would not score 100 and 2) Hunslet would not be nilled. The game against North Wales indicated that Wane is not seeking total humiliation over a Championship One team, particularly Hunslet with whom we share a proud memory of an occasion nearly 50 years ago.

Result!

The only reason we didn't match the Bradford score was our execution in the 2nd half was poor. Not because we didn't want to humiliate Hunslet. Smith passing the ball into touch and the numerous other unforced errors we made were not some kind of choreographed game plan designed to be nice to the opposition.
How do you know?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Result!

How do you know?
Dave my 3rd prediction would have been your reaction to my explanation.

I got that spot on as well!
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

Sounded like a frustrating second half. Do you think we needed a tougher game before Leeds?

SAINTS ARE OUT!..

:eusa3: :eusa3: