Squad for Saturday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Squad for Saturday

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors head coach Shaun Wane welcomes back Ben Flower, Dan Sarginson, Liam Farrell and McIlorum to his squad to face Castleford Tigers in the quarter finals of the Tetley's Challenge Cup on Saturday.

The returning quartet replaces Darrell Goulding, Scott Taylor, Sam Powell and Connor Farrell following last week's defeat to Huddersfield Giants.

Both Farrell and Flower have been missing with ankle injuries since early May but Wane has no concerns about including them in Saturdays knock out tie.

Speaking to the Wigan Observer earlier this week he said,

"This game is a must-win for us, it's do or die and I want my best team on the pitch.

"I've no worries about those two players if they're okay to play. They're athletes, they've been working hard in training, and although they haven't played in a while they know what to do.

"The adrenaline and emotions of the game will carry them through - it's a case of mind over matter."

Wigan Warriors 19 Man Squad

John Bateman, Matt Bowen, Joe Burgess, Greg Burke, Dom Crosby, Gil Dudson, Liam Farrell, Ben Flower, Anthony Gelling, Ryan Hampshire, Jack Hughes, Jordan James, Dom Manfredi, Michael McIlorum, Sean O'Loughlin, Dan Sarginson, Matty Smith, Ryan Sutton, George Williams

Referee - Richard Silverwood / Video Referee - Ben Thaler

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... v9dIyY8.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Re: Squad for Saturday

Post by southportcdm »

With Sam Powell out it looks as though Hampshire will get his chance at stand off. I know that many of us have high hopes of him in this position and this will be a big test. I understand that Waney sees Ryan as a fullback at present but am I the only one who thinks he could have been given a couple more matches at 6 before this weekend just in case of situations like this? Having said that Ryan has played 6 all of his career so he may well feel more comfortable at 6 than at 1 in such a big game. Best of luck to the lads, it's going to be interesting.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

I'd be surprised if it was wasn't Williams starting at 6 with Hampshire on the bench. That's probably the safer bet due to experience gained already in the first team.

Hampshire to come on for MM with Williams moving to 9 if MM needs a rest in the last 20
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

NO Taylor

now the rumour really thickens
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

McIlorum ready for Tigers showdown

Wigan Warriors hooker Micky McIlorum insists his team are ready to take on high-flying Castleford Tigers in the quarter-final of the Tetley’s Challenge Cup at DW Stadium on Saturday (2.30pm).

In what is anticipated to be one of the games of the season so far, McIlorum believes Wigan will use the disappointment of losing to Huddersfield Gants in their last match as motivation to progress in the Cup.

“We are going into the game off the back of a bad result,” said McIlorum. “But we will turn that around into a positive and make sure it makes us even more determined to win on Saturday.”

Castleford beat the Warriors 36-31 in Round 4 of the Super League but McIlorum is hoping it will be his team who are celebrating when the whistle blows at the end of the game on Saturday.

“Castleford are obviously doing really well this season and they showed that when they got the win earlier on in the year,” said McIlorum.

“I’m sure they will be up for the game but so are we, we are ready and prepared to get to the semi-final.”

With a history of success in Rugby League’s oldest and most prestigious competition, McIlorum acknowledges that there is a lot of pressure on the holders, but is hoping they will be retaining the Challenge Cup in their trophy cabinet.

“Wigan have a lot of history in the Challenge Cup and we want to win it again this year, we proved we could do the double last year and we want to that again this year,” he said.

“I’ve won the Challenge Cup twice both of which have been special and I definitely want to repeat those experiences.

“One of the reasons you play for Wigan Warriors is to be involved in the big games like this and I am sure Saturday will be a great day in the Challenge Cup. I’m sure the Cas fans will be making plenty of noise so we need our fans to be even louder to create a great atmosphere and hopefully we will get the win for them.”

Tickets for the Wigan Warriors v Castleford Tigers Tetley’s Challenge Cup quarter-final tie at the DW Stadium on Saturday June 7 (2.30pm) can be purchased from as little as £16 for adults, £10 for concessions and £5 for juniors (discounts available for members until Friday June 6).

Tickets for the 2014 Tetley’s Challenge Cup final at Wembley Stadium on Saturday August 23 cost from as little as £22 and can be purchased by calling the 24-hour Rugby League Ticket Hotline on 0844 856 1113 or by visiting www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/30 ... -showdown?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

I said some weeks ago that Goulding was dropped to the bench after telling the club he was leaving. This is after never being dropped by Wane and after having a good game against Hull away. Scott Taylor has been one of our best forwards this season and is suddenly dropped too, after increasing speculation about him leaving. Co-incidence? I dont think so.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Mmmm, the thick plottens - wouldn't want either of them to leave but it is beginning to look like there may be some substance to the constant rumours. Hope it's more a case of them both having slight injuries rather than anything else also hope it's a good game with no controversy but a huge potential banana skin

All sounds ominously quiet in the local paper over in Cas with nothing much more being said in their local paper than the names of the squad
http://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpre ... -1-6657665
Published on the 05 June 2014 8:16

Castleford Tigers head coach Daryl Powell has named his 19-man squad for Saturday’s Tetley’s Challenge Cup quarter-final against Wigan Warriors at the DW Stadium (kick-off 2.30pm).

Centre Michael Channing misses out after picking up a groin injury in last Sunday’s game against Hull KR, but Ashley Gibson returns and Lee Jewitt is included after a back injury kept him out of the side against Rovers.

While the Warriors have won the last four cup meetings between the two sides, Castleford have won the last two Super League meetings and did beat Wigan in the quarter-finals on the way to winning the trophy in 1986.

Castleford Tigers’ full 19-man squad v Wigan Warriors is:

2. Kirk Dixon

3. Michael Shenton

4. Jake Webster

6. Luke Dorn

7. Marc Sneyd

8. Andy Lynch

9. Adam Milner

10. Craig Huby

11. Grant Millington

12. Weller Hauraki

14. Daryl Clark

16. Oliver Holmes

18. Frankie Mariano

19. Scott Wheeldon

20. Jamie Ellis

21. Ashley Gibson

24. James Clare

26. Liam Finn

32. Lee Jewitt
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dobby wrote:I said some weeks ago that Goulding was dropped to the bench after telling the club he was leaving. This is after never being dropped by Wane and after having a good game against Hull away. Scott Taylor has been one of our best forwards this season and is suddenly dropped too, after increasing speculation about him leaving. Co-incidence? I dont think so.
If it is not a coincidence it's pretty poor. While we might think Taylor is being stupid if he wants to leave and it would be surprising if Goulding past up a testimonial, if that is what is happening depriving the team of two talented players because they are leaving for a big cup game is stupid.

With Leeds it's business as usual with JJB despite him going to Salford. All very professional.

So I'd hope they are out due to injury not because they have put Wane's nose out of joint.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Not entirely true Dave. IIRC JJB was dropped for the majority of the first half of the season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Well, it's all conjecture, so blaming the club seems harsh to me.
Goulding hasn't been as effective as Sarg and Gelling. Maybe it's because Josh hasn't been playing and he will come back into his own when he's back.
Taylor's effectiveness has dropped off a cliff the last couple of weeks, perhaps because of injury, perhaps because of other distractions. He's world class on form, but I'd back our coaching staff to make the right call on this one.