J Tomkin's signs with immediate effect

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: J Tomkin's signs with immediate effect

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Half a bottle of vodka talking here but so what.

Were all entitled to our opinions.

I was very vocal on broken contracts when he p155ed off to yawnion for easy money so nothing changes here.

Back to wigan joel.
Why are you returning to Wigan, was union too tough, are you just homesick or is it more money you're after.
Lets just hope you're willing to see out you're contract to the full this time and we don't have to sell good players to get your signature under the salary cap.
Personally I think Daz Goulding is a far better centre, we're not weak in the second row, we are massively strong on the wings, all positions you have played so why are you returning.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Half a bottle of vodka talking here but so what.

I was very vocal on broken contracts when he p155ed off to yawnion for easy money so nothing changes here.

Back to wigan joel.
Why are you returning to Wigan, was union too tough, are you just homesick or is it more money you're after.
Lets just hope you're willing to see out you're contract to the full this time and we don't have to sell good players to get your signature under the salary cap.
Personally I think Daz Goulding is a far better centre, we're not weak in the second row, we are massively strong on the wings, all positions you have played so why are you returning.
He's come back for less money PM. And I'm glad he's come home, he always said he would come back if he could :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
So was I but the club has to agree. What I didn't do though is slag his ability as a player off (not suggesting you did by the way) just because he left in order to justify what the club did in agreeing to his move as others do readily.

Ity is amazing how crap some players become when they leave isn't it!

And also being realistic whatever the wrongs of it (there were no rights!) I simply see this as strengthening the side in an area it needs it given we sold you know who to Salford.

I'd rather he had not left at all. I'd still prefer us to have a choice of back row of Faz, Joel T, H and Lockers with Bateman being spelled more than he has been but three out of the four of Faz, Joel T, H and Lockers is better than just Faz and Lockers.
Personally I think Daz Goulding is a far better centre, we're not weak in the second row,...
I think we are which is why I blew a gasket over H being sold. Bateman is a great player in the making but Clubb is no 2nd row close to the standard of Joel or H and if Faz is out we struggle.
we are massively strong on the wings, all positions you have played so why are you returning.
The interview on GMR I caught on the way home he said he felt he is a better RL player than an RU player. He'd sampled the lifestyle and other code playing for England but felt it was right to return and was grateful to be able to do so.
Panchitta Marra

josie andrews wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Half a bottle of vodka talking here but so what.

Back to wigan joel.
He's come back for less money PM. And I'm glad he's come home, he always said he would come back if he could :)
Josie,
You know me and I was gutted when he left 3 years ago and without coming to blows CP and I had a real fallout regarding the value of contracts which I value massively having to sign them with my work.
If Tomkins wanted to always come home why did he leave in the first place. I know the answer to that and it's money, so I am sceptical about his return.
I think we have better within at less cost, hence Daz being shipped off or offered insultary contract renewals.

:D
Panchitta Marra

DaveO wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
So was I but the club has to agree. What I didn't do though is slag his ability as a player off (not suggesting you did by the way) just because he left in order to justify what the club did in agreeing to his move as others do readily.

Ity is amazing how crap some players become when they leave isn't it!

And also being realistic whatever the wrongs of it (there were no rights!) I simply see this as strengthening the side in an area it needs it given we sold you know who to Salford.

I'd rather he had not left at all. I'd still prefer us to have a choice of back row of Faz, Joel T, H and Lockers with Bateman being spelled more than he has been but three out of the four of Faz, Joel T, H and Lockers is better than just Faz and Lockers.
Personally I think Daz Goulding is a far better centre, we're not weak in the second row,...
I think we are which is why I blew a gasket over H being sold. Bateman is a great player in the making but Clubb is no 2nd row close to the standard of Joel or H and if Faz is out we struggle.
we are massively strong on the wings, all positions you have played so why are you returning.
The interview on GMR I caught on the way home he said he felt he is a better RL player than an RU player. He'd sampled the lifestyle and other code playing for England but felt it was right to return and was grateful to be able to do so.
I must learn to split responses like you do.

I dont think I have slated Tomkins ability, although I do recollect maybe calling him lazy in our semi grand final defeat to saints on the season he left.
My gripe was his dumping out of his contract but that's a failing of mine, it's just how I see it.
I think Bateman is a big signing for Wigan and see his maturing with Faz, Hughes, lockers and mcilorum as being pivotal at the back end of the scrum.
Like you I was a big H fan but I think he was sold for good money at the right time for Wigan, he is not replicating his previous form at Salford to suggest any different.
I wonder how much cap space this big signing is taking up in lieu of players supposedly moving on. Taylor and Goulding coming to mind.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote: I dont think I have slated Tomkins ability, although I do recollect maybe calling him lazy in our semi grand final defeat to saints on the season he left.
My gripe was his dumping out of his contract but that's a failing of mine, it's just how I see it.
I think Bateman is a big signing for Wigan and see his maturing with Faz, Hughes, lockers and mcilorum as being pivotal at the back end of the scrum.
Like you I was a big H fan but I think he was sold for good money at the right time for Wigan, he is not replicating his previous form at Salford to suggest any different.
I don't think H not replicating his previous form is any surprise now he is not at Wigan. It's been often the case when players leave Wigan they don't look so good but lesser payers improve when they arrive. Is that a coincidence? Not to me.

If H re-signed tomorrow his Salford form would not worry me because class is permanent, form is temporary.

I am with you on the contract issue. I hate it when contacts end early but my glass is at least half full tonight as I think we need J T, at least in part because we sold H!
OJ

Post by OJ »

Was thinking afterwards it could have gone horribly wrong, can you imagine if it had been say Dennis Moran (sorry Dennis you're a nice bloke and all that but you weren't good for Wigan) and the new signing had come out to a stunned silence instead of the cheer that went up for Joel? :o

Anyone know how come he has been released mid season? I'm delighted he can play for us right away but it does seem a bit strange
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Mace

Post by Mace »

OJ wrote:
Anyone know how come he has been released mid season? I'm delighted he can play for us right away but it does seem a bit strange
The rugby union season is over now
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

OJ wrote:Was thinking afterwards it could have gone horribly wrong, can you imagine if it had been say Dennis Moran (sorry Dennis you're a nice bloke and all that but you weren't good for Wigan) and the new signing had come out to a stunned silence instead of the cheer that went up for Joel? :o

OJ Moran wasn't a nice bloke at all ,hence why he left Wigan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

platt-warrior wrote:let's now wait for WW to put his negative spin on it.☺
You need to take your blinkers off if you think I am the one with the negative spin about our club on this website.

As for what the thread is actually about, the signing of one of our prodigal sons Joel is great news and I only hope that in due course, his brother Sam also follows and perhaps even Logan seeing how good he is playing at Salford now that he is getting more game time there.

And like Mike says, I see Joel being groomed as the eventual replacement for Sean when he retires.

Like I have said before, Wigan don't just plan for today but five year's hence.