Re: Moi moi for 2015

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Wiganer Ted wrote:We've already signed Tauati so why would be bring in Moi Moi who would be a 2nd player of the same style?
False rumour to me.
If Taylor, Dudson and Pettybourne go, that's if we lose all three, there is still a formidable line up of props.
Flower, Clubb, Crosby, Tauati, J Tomkins and Greenwood.
Could also add as back up next year Hopkins, Lever and Austin. That's six props, that's if all three above go, plus Sutton who is also rumoured to have left/or be leaving.
The rumour re Moi Moi surely has to be wrong.
Clubb, Crosby, Greenwood, Hopkins, Lever, Austin formidable ? These are an assortment of mostly untried and inexperienced youngsters.Of course there is potential there but formidable they are not.I am not suggesting we should sign Moi Moi but even at 33 he is a far better player than Jordan James, and I never dreamed we would sign him
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:We've already signed Tauati so why would be bring in Moi Moi who would be a 2nd player of the same style?
False rumour to me.
If Taylor, Dudson and Pettybourne go, that's if we lose all three, there is still a formidable line up of props.
Flower, Clubb, Crosby, Tauati, J Tomkins and Greenwood.
J Tomkins is going to be a very busy man next season.

Last week Wane was telling us he had been signed to play in the back row.

This week Wane has mentioned he can play in the centres as part of the PR spin surrounding Goulding leaving the club

And now you have him as a prop, a position he has never played in. A formidable one as well.

A set of props comprising of Flower, Clubb, Crosby, Tauati, and Greenwood is not formidable but adding Moi Moi won't make it so either.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Rumours are MOI MOI in , James, Scott taylor and pettybourne will go along with goulding.

in the meantime talks with some promising 20s players are stalling due to the club not recognising there worth.

Not a Rumour "wire" are ready to jump in with a big contract for 1 very promising player from the 20s
How worrying. Perhaps certain individuals on here will be able to put a positive spin on the promising youngsters and Taylor being tracked by other clubs?
Is it me or am I imagining that the departure of the crown jewels from our club are at the expense of bolstering a football club?
I live in Oxford and, having spoken to a number of Oxford United fans, it seems like much the same story there. I don't think any of the money from Wigan is going directly to them, although I could be wrong.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The reason I put Joel in at prop is that he hasn't played any Rugby since last November and will be a long way short of playing 60 mins or so in the 2nd row.
There's no chance of him playing 80 mins at centre and succeeding.
So the 15-20 first half and the same in the second will be all he can manage. He's around 6'5" and 17 stone, the right size for a prop of today.
A front row of Joel, Flower, Clubb, Crosby, Pettybourne and Greenwood I believe is formidable. Most certainly when compered to the front rows of Wire, Leeds and Saints.
We might not like it with all the arrivals and departures but it's happening and we have to see the club's reasoning.
Wire have Asotasi who's useless according to Wire fans.
They have Wood who is injured and way past his best.
Saints have Mose who's apparently had his best game against us, with 8 carries. They have LMS, say no more!
Leeds have Peacock who's incredible and Leuluai who in 2015 will play their final season's Rugby.
Of those I named, none are over 30, they are young, mobile, skillful and forceful.
When coached by Waney they look pretty formidable to me.
The back up lads are just that, the term didn't apply to them as my post said they were back up.
After all, difference of opinion is what forums are for!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:The reason I put Joel in at prop is that he hasn't played any Rugby since last November and will be a long way short of playing 60 mins or so in the 2nd row.
So the 15-20 first half and the same in the second will be all he can manage. He's around 6'5" and 17 stone, the right size for a prop of today.
A front row of Joel, Flower, Clubb, Crosby, Pettybourne and Greenwood I believe is formidable. Most certainly when compered to the front rows of Wire, Leeds and Saints.
We might not like it with all the arrivals and departures but it's happening and we have to see the club's reasoning.
Saints have Mose who's apparently had his best game against us, with 8 carries. They have LMS, say no more!
Leeds have Peacock who's incredible and Leuluai who in 2015 will play their final season's Rugby.
Of those I named, none are over 30, they are young, mobile, skillful and forceful.
The back up lads are just that, the term didn't apply to them as my post said they were back up.
JT may be lacking match fitness for 2nd row but he's never going to play prop.

That leaves Flower, Clubb, Crosby, Pettybourne and Greenwood and that will scare no one (if we assume Taylor is off). Hard workers but no player who really hurts the opposition such as Ashton Sims Wire have just signed.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

DaveO wrote:
Wiganer Ted wrote:The reason I put Joel in at prop is that he hasn't played any Rugby since last November and will be a long way short of playing 60 mins or so in the 2nd row.

That leaves Flower, Clubb, Crosby, Pettybourne and Greenwood and that will scare no one (if we assume Taylor is off). Hard workers but no player who really hurts the opposition such as Ashton Sims Wire have just signed.
Pongia is the last skull rattling prop we've had if I'm not mistaken?
Certainly none of those mentioned would cause squeeky bums. The best pairing I can remember are Cowie and Skerrett, a right pair of animals, and Platty could handle himself.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Pongia is the last skull rattling prop we've had if I'm not mistaken?
Certainly none of those mentioned would cause squeeky bums. The best pairing I can remember are Cowie and Skerrett, a right pair of animals, and Platty could handle himself.
Lima was a handful at times. I think Flower and Crosby are good players but at the moment are a notch below Taylor and can be bullied when they operate are our front row together.

We can't have four monster props but I think had we signed Sims and keep Taylor we'd have a pack the envy of any side in the competition.

Sims, Taylor, Flower and Crosby would be just so much more intimidating than Flower, Crosby, Clubb and Eddie.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It always amused me when we had Barry Mac for a season as prop with Cowie. They were very rarely on the field together as everyone knew if it all kicked off we would be down to 11 by the time the ref had sorted things out.
I still think Barry Mac enhanced his reputation no end after the bust up in the Aussie match.

Perhaps Joel will be used as the filler at 13 when Lockers doesn't play. He has the size, skill and pace for a 13 so maybe he's the prop/13 that Flower does now!
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Think we need to get this Joel at prop idea out of our heads!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Why do we need to get Joel at prop out of our heads.
It's my opinion, nothing more.
We'll find out anyway when he plays.