Season Ticket

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Season Ticket

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I know a lot of people feel like you arent a "real fan" if you dont have a season ticket and some will buy one without question as part of being a fan of the club. Im not hoping to discuss either of those points, that statement is just to show that i understand that there will always be a baseline of season ticket sales.

Moving forward though i cannot see how the club hope to sustain season ticket sales or grow them. This year has gone a long way to confirm that the season has become meaningless and even the new structure is a bit of an unknown whether that can revive anything from the ashes.

Add to that that nearly every game seems to be part of an "offer" of some variety either via group on or the club undermining the cost of a season ticket a lot of these offers coming in the "big games". so you can pick the few big games if you like and more often than not get them at cut down prices

Add to that Wigan have all but said "we will not bother signing a "star" in future we will rely on youth, that means there is no player who will be a "get bums in seats" player, like for example if inglis signed the amount of people who would come not just from our fans but the visiting fans literally just to see him play

So other than the die hards who will always buy one without question what is the draw for a season ticket anymore?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kaii

Re: Season Ticket

Post by Kaii »

Tbh as a season ticket holder these offers available are annoying, now it's just not the tickets. On offer now is a members only polo shirt for £10, went up to the till and was asked to show my season ticket (which I though was a bit cool) then a minute later someone produces their loyal 18 card and got one to. They gave these cards out to everyone who attending with a free tickets at the Huddersfield match.
So what exactly is the benefit of a season ticket when you can get tickets cheap and carry around a unloyal 18 card which has the perks of someone who goes every match.
What is more annoying is that when the renewal come up I'll renew it straight away :(
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Kaii wrote:Tbh as a season ticket holder these offers available are annoying, now it's just not the tickets. On offer now is a members only polo shirt for £10, went up to the till and was asked to show my season ticket (which I though was a bit cool) then a minute later someone produces their loyal 18 card and got one to. They gave these cards out to everyone who attending with a free tickets at the Huddersfield match.
So what exactly is the benefit of a season ticket when you can get tickets cheap and carry around a unloyal 18 card which has the perks of someone who goes every match.
What is more annoying is that when the renewal come up I'll renew it straight away :(
Exactly my point Kaii, i cannot get a season ticket because of work commitments im part of a short on call rota so i cannot guarantee my availability i could quite possible miss 60-70% of matches if i did.

i dont feel however i miss out i managed to get to the saints game for £10 - and ive also managed a few other games this season and probably not spent over £30 yet but i have a loyal 18 card like you say
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Being a true and loyal Wigan supporter, irrespective of any success, winning trophies or the cost for most.

Like it says in our song, 'Cherry & White, its in our Blood'.

In my case, Ancient as well!
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

This season I've been lucky work wise and not including playoffs I'll of been 28 matches, only missing wire, Leeds & Catalan away but next season I could be in the same boat missing a big percentage of the matches through work. The fixture changes also don't help
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I presume the split competition next year may put people off season tickets? It has as yet to my knowledge not been explained how the system is going to work in relation to season tickets.

The main reason I used to buy a season ticket was to attend (alliance / academy) matches free but now I no longer can (I watch them on Wigan TV anyhow now) and for priority to big FINAL games but even that is no longer the case as tickets are sold reduced (big reductions) well beforehand.
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

cpwigan wrote:I presume the split competition next year may put people off season tickets? It has as yet to my knowledge not been explained how the system is going to work in relation to season tickets.

The main reason I used to buy a season ticket was to attend (alliance / academy) matches free but now I no longer can (I watch them on Wigan TV anyhow now) and for priority to big FINAL games but even that is no longer the case as tickets are sold reduced (big reductions) well beforehand.
there wont be much to change as the new system still has:

"A. The 12 Super League clubs play each other twice, home and away, during the regular season (22 fixtures)"

So effectively (minus the 2 home fixtures for missing teams) we will play the same ? or am i missing something ?
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
AlanF

Post by AlanF »

Buying a season ticket for myself is more a matter of convenience than anything else, I go to all the home and most away games so it makes sense. Especially now I qualify for senior rates (one of the few advantages of being old). Otherwise I think season tickets may losing some appeal, as stated by others they were worth it for priority tickets and under 19's but nowadays you really don't need this option.
I was going to buy a book called "The Power of Positive Thinking", and then I thought: What good would that do?
markill

Post by markill »

Re. Next season its a reasonable question for us to be asking isn't it. In my opinion the season ticket holders should get a 14 game season and then if we get an extra game season ticket holders hould have it for free. Other fans would have to pay, but they could extend an offer of lower prices to members or whatever.

Re. feeling ripped off or too many games being on offer. I totally get the sentiment of people feeling this, though it doesn't upset me myself. I assume that we still get a reduction overall (though I've never done the maths if a non-season ticket holder attended all the games on the best avaiable 'on the day' price). I personally really like the scrum ticket we get with our season ticket, as some of my family/friends are casual fans but not full-time supporters. It gets them to more games, and has led to some getting seaosn tickets & shirts or just coming to more other games. I don't begrudge that they've only paid a fiver for the same game that my seaosn ticket deal effectively cost me £14 (or whatever it is), just the same as I don't when someone gets a group on deal or a workplace freebie.

What the club is really doing for me is acknowledging that there are some people like WF1985 who can't go to all games, there are others that donm't want to go to all games, but that doens't mean they don't want to show their 'loyalty' to the club in otherways, like getting a membership that still extends some benefiots their way and still encourages them to spend even further in the club shop etc.

The club are also noticing that special events or occasions, or just games between big teams, are more likely to be attended by someone who is maybe not yet a fan but might be interested. Big games with a built up atmosphere and 'special feel' to them are more likely to bring these people back so the club market them accordingly.

The club will certianly have to continue to be clever and inventive with their pricing and marketing strategies going forward but I think our club has been a few steps ahead of some others in this regard anyway.

Like I say, just my view. I can see why others with other viewpoints or circumstances might see it differently on this one for sure.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Some superb points raised here. I held a ST up to and including 2012 after which renewing became an expense which had to go. Circs have now improved and I was planning to buy one next year especially as I shall also qualify for 'senior' status.

However, on reading this thread, I'm having a rethink. I enjoy watching Super League and if Wigan have a home game against the likes of say London when Saints v Leeds is on TV, I'd swerve the Wigan game and watch the match in the pub.

Presumably others are thinking along the same lines?