LOGAN TOMKINS

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
menpond

Re: LOGAN TOMKINS

Post by menpond »

Well get rid of him then ,and find?develope a proper second rower. We had the same problem with Mick Cassidy. Bits of furniture.
mp
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

menpond wrote:Well get rid of him then ,and find?develope a proper second rower.

We had the same problem with Mick Cassidy. Bits of furniture.
Are you for real??

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Pharabus

Post by Pharabus »

josie andrews wrote:
menpond wrote:Well get rid of him then ,and find?develope a proper second rower.

We had the same problem with Mick Cassidy. Bits of furniture.
Are you for real??

based on the inconsistent posting style, I would guess not ;)
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Im not convinced - i think he needs at least a yard of pace to be effective. Either that or bulk up at the moment i feel like he is a little too small to be a mickey mac style hooker and not fast enough to be a burrow/clark style hooker.

He is a good player and i feel like he does belong in superleague but maybe not at the sharp end
He does need to be quicker off the mark to be a top hooker but, having said that, Waney doesn't coach scooting from dummy half so I am not sure how valuable putting on a yard of pace would be in our team!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Im not convinced - i think he needs at least a yard of pace to be effective. Either that or bulk up at the moment i feel like he is a little too small to be a mickey mac style hooker and not fast enough to be a burrow/clark style hooker.

He is a good player and i feel like he does belong in superleague but maybe not at the sharp end
He does need to be quicker off the mark to be a top hooker but, having said that, Waney doesn't coach scooting from dummy half so I am not sure how valuable putting on a yard of pace would be in our team!
A very valid point, however i still feel like regardless of whether its coached all good "modern" hookers can exploit lazy square markers.

The upside for Logan is Mickey Mac managed to do it, when he first came in he had real difficulty breaking the square markers when he did choose to scoot, he added short burst speed and now does it effectively from time to time.

It also still provides benifit even if you dont "scoot" in the strictest of the sense. If you can come out of the play of the ball at an angle at enough pace to break that first and second marker you then force the defensive line to begin to compress, they have to come in to deal with the threat. We have very dangerous 2nd row runners who can hit these gaps. In essence though if you as the hooker can commit the first 2 players to moving in left or right of the ruck before you pass to the 6 or 7 you have already gone a long way to giving your team the upper hand on that play. It all relies on you being fast enough to move away from those square markers though.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:

A very valid point, however i still feel like regardless of whether its coached all good "modern" hookers can exploit lazy square markers.

The upside for Logan is Mickey Mac managed to do it, when he first came in he had real difficulty breaking the square markers when he did choose to scoot, he added short burst speed and now does it effectively from time to time.

It also still provides benifit even if you dont "scoot" in the strictest of the sense. If you can come out of the play of the ball at an angle at enough pace to break that first and second marker you then force the defensive line to begin to compress, they have to come in to deal with the threat. We have very dangerous 2nd row runners who can hit these gaps. In essence though if you as the hooker can commit the first 2 players to moving in left or right of the ruck before you pass to the 6 or 7 you have already gone a long way to giving your team the upper hand on that play. It all relies on you being fast enough to move away from those square markers though.
I agree with both of you. Logan should be searching out the very best athletic coaches to try to find that extra 1/2 yard/zip.

I just hope the option is in Wigan's favour not the players. I like mentioned above can see him out on loan again unless Mac gets injured.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Menpond is a wind up IMO
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:

Totally agree, it's a weapon that we do not use enough. Williams has shown us how taking on the line can be so effective. I am one of the old school - I would like to see our forwards pound the opposition and create space for our backs to operate in. If we are to see the best of Williams and Hampshire over the next few years then our forwards are going to have to a lot more work running close to the ruck area as well as our hooker running more from the play the ball.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Scooting hookers are really a no brainer. If Lunt is playing against a team you know you have to stay tight when his team are near your try line. If Clark or even Higham are playing against a team you know you have to stay tight whenever their teams have the ball. Both scenarios force the other teams to hold, even condense giving their half backs extra time and space as mentioned above.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

cpwigan wrote:Scooting hookers are really a no brainer. If Lunt is playing against a team you know you have to stay tight when his team are near your try line. If Clark or even Higham are playing against a team you know you have to stay tight whenever their teams have the ball. Both scenarios force the other teams to hold, even condense giving their half backs extra time and space as mentioned above.

not a bad comment CP i agree with ya
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White