joe burgess

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bill.inger

Re: joe burgess

Post by bill.inger »

The strange thing is that Leeds, Saints, and Warrington, those three in particular don't lose players to the Aussie clubs and they do bring good young lads through the system. We know lads like Hardaker have got that bit extra but there's never mention of an approach by an Aussie club. Is there more to it that only Wigan players are attracted to Australia, and if Joe Burgess says that the money is not the root cause of wanting to re-locate, then there may well be a problem at the top for Wigan.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:
gillysmyhero wrote:Ian Lenegan and Kris Radlinski said that with Joe Burgess it wasn't about the money it was about him wanting to live the Sydney lifestyle.
I am sure he will be on peanuts....
...and a pint of Fosters while enjoying the Sydney lifestyle!!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

bill.inger wrote:The strange thing is that Leeds, Saints, and Warrington, those three in particular don't lose players to the Aussie clubs and they do bring good young lads through the system. We know lads like Hardaker have got that bit extra but there's never mention of an approach by an Aussie club. Is there more to it that only Wigan players are attracted to Australia, and if Joe Burgess says that the money is not the root cause of wanting to re-locate, then there may well be a problem at the top for Wigan.
The above is probably spot on. Perhaps IL needs to consult with these chairmen about keeping players happy? Time to realise that players born and bred in Wigan need to eat and pay electric bills as well as pull on the cherry and white shirt!
The above three teams seem to be able to keep their quality players, they must be paying them cashews or Brazil nuts?!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
jolleymike

Post by jolleymike »

Well done joe burgess in my opinion, at his age I wish I had made the move to Australia, this country is going to the dogs and the life style good weather and social life has to be better than here, he will come back at some point probably a better player.

Michael Maguire would have seen Budgie in the youth side when he was here and would have had him marked as a future prospect.

Good on the lad and I wish him all the best in Australia.

As said before players come and players go!
Second Row

Post by Second Row »

Not at all happy but the situation is what it is.
If that is where his heart or head is then let him go now, there is clearly no future for the club in him staying bring through someone who at least may have the loyalty to stay and develop with the club.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

bill.inger wrote:The strange thing is that Leeds, Saints, and Warrington, those three in particular don't lose players to the Aussie clubs and they do bring good young lads through the system. We know lads like Hardaker have got that bit extra but there's never mention of an approach by an Aussie club. Is there more to it that only Wigan players are attracted to Australia, and if Joe Burgess says that the money is not the root cause of wanting to re-locate, then there may well be a problem at the top for Wigan.
Hardaker didn't come through Leeds academy system they bought him from Featherstone. Tonks and Baldwinson left to play for NZ Warriors. Saints lost Graham to Australia and Eastmond to Rugby Union. Wire have hardly produced any youngsters who would attract the Aussie clubs, although that could change in the next few years with the likes of Toby King coming through. If Wigan matched the Aussie offer then what do you think would happen to Gildart, Williams Hampshire etc? Personally I think Burgess has been poorly advised, I think he should have stayed at Wigan for another couple of seasons and then tried his luck over there, but maybe Wigan wouldn't offer a short term contact and/or the Roosters offer wouldn't still be there. Good luck to the lad I hope things work for him.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Its difficult to post a positive reply when the trend of players going to OZ is increasing.

Even the likes of Shaun Ainscough went over playing for country sides to earn a better wage.

New Era in SL, Same "shi*" in my opinion

The issues surrounding the game have been done to death all over forums and social media yet we are here again losing players from our flagship competition.

But it would also seem that Wane is coaching with one hand tied behind his back knowing he has little or chance of retaining players should NRL or RU come knocking

I dont Blame Joe one bit and for one so young it is a massive decision and i admire him for that

Clean sweep is a minimum requirement now joe !
Question is how do we improve the situation?

Club lost £500k last year and there is a salary cap. Do we really want to go the way of football where the clubs are in huge debts, season ticket prices are crazy and there is no salary cap?
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Good luck to the lad even though he will be missed.Who can blame anyonefor wanting to better themselves, play in the best competition in the world against the best players and live the Sydney lifestyle.I know what most players would do given the chance.As for loyalty, are clubs loyal to all their players? As soon as someone is no longer an asset to the club they are released without a second though except in extreme cases.Good luck Joe and enjoy Oz, because with all due respect we will find another to take your place just as we have done many times.

KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

old hooker wrote:Good luck to the lad even though he will be missed.Who can blame anyonefor wanting to better themselves, play in the best competition in the world against the best players and live the Sydney lifestyle.I know what most players would do given the chance.As for loyalty, are clubs loyal to all their players? As soon as someone is no longer an asset to the club they are released without a second though except in extreme cases.Good luck Joe and enjoy Oz, because with all due respect we will find another to take your place just as we have done many times.

Yes we will find another player to replace him.Then we will probably lose him to the NRL. Don't get me wrong my post probably came across as being bitter with the lad.I'm more annoyed that the club seem a little bit complicit when it comes to our talent and the NRL.We might just as well call ourselves the feeder club. I am angry that we are losing someone with immense talent so soon in his career.On a personal level I don't blame the lad.It just appears that loyalty to the club is a one way thing.

KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

What is happening with the posts.I am using the quotes correctly but they appear to be merged as one.