joe burgess

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
upminsterwarrior

Re: joe burgess

Post by upminsterwarrior »

medlocke wrote: Very poor, young players who have come through the ranks and had so much time invested in them should be made to play a minimum of 3 full seasons in the first team before they are allowed to leave unless the clubs has no intention of keeping them, should be made a rule by the RFL IMO
Thats a very one sided proposal. What about all of the players in our youth teams that don't make it to the 1st team? This may not be due to a lack of effort on their part, just that they don't fit into the coaches style of play. Should the club be forced to keep them for 3 years to give them a chance to adapt?

OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

WE will continue to produce good young players. I do not really know what the club can do if they want to leave once they become known or do reallt well, may be it is something that the club need to be looking at very seriously in the future and sign these youngsters on extended contracts
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Burgess to Leave Warriors

Wigan Warriors can confirm that Joe Burgess will leave the Club at the end of the 2015 season.

The former Ince Rose Bridge amateur burst into the Wigan team in 2014 scoring 25 tries in 27 games.

Rugby General Manager and Director Kris Radlinski confirmed the news at the Fans Forum on Thursday evening at the DW Stadium.

Speaking on the news Radlinski said:

"Joe won't be here next year, which is a sad one for us all. We did all we could, and started conversations about a year ago, when he scored four tries against Leigh.

"After many discussions it was clear to me that Joe had made his mind up. I said ‘do you want me to put Wigan's best possible offer to you?' He said ‘No, I want the Sydney lifestyle and to try the NRL'. It's a big step for him and I admire his confidence, but it is a blow for us. He is totally committed this year and he won't let us down."

Kris added: "We wish him all the best in the NRL. Shaun Wane and I are still very happy with the options we have in the squad with Josh Charnley and Dom Manfredi along with players like Lewis Tierney, Ryan Hampshire and Oliver Gildart all looking set for game time in 2015."

Chairman Ian Lenagan said:

"It is disappointing to lose a talented young player but as Shaun Wane has proven in recent years, no one is irreplaceable. The Wigan Club has a strong succession plan in place and we will look to utilise that to ensure a seamless transition when Joe departs.

"Joe leaves with our best wishes and the door certainly remains open for him to return to us just as Joel Tomkins and Lee Mossop have in the past year."

Joe Burgess said:

"Thank you for all the messages, I have signed for Sydney Roosters and I'm very grateful for the lads, coaching staff and the club for being so supportive, it was a hard decision as I've grown up being a lifelong Wigan fan but I didn't want miss the opportunity. I'm going to try my hardest to help the team win every trophy before I do go, thanks again."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... S3ggydQ.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Do we have an option on Budgie if he returns?
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Kris added: "We wish him all the best in the NRL. Shaun Wane and I are still very happy with the options we have in the squad with Josh Charnley and Dom Manfredi along with players like Lewis Tierney, Ryan Hampshire and Oliver Gildart all looking set for game time in 2015."

Aye, and they're all on long contracts! Apart from Josh, the others just need polishing and putting in the shop window so that McGuire and his ilk can raid us again...

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think a contract ensures clubs get some payback BUT if you are good enough and the NRL wants you then it is incredibly difficult contract or not to stop a player leaving to go Down Under.

The one positive is the player is still a League player rather than in Union.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Like most others I've got mixed feelings about this. A large part of me can fully understand why he would want to go but the rest of me thinks - for God's sake not again! It is interesting that we always seem top of the NRL shopping list & suppose that's understandable as we aren't well known for having rubbish players but this constant situation of players jumping ship and us starting virtually every season with a new squad really is getting beyond a joke. Seems like the agents always start sniffing round us first but other clubs do seem to be able to keep their squads happier than Wigan can which is a mystery to me.

Doesn't half make me appreciate the likes of Josh Charnley even more than I did before - thanks Josh, you're a diamond and hope the comment on the rumour mill is rubbish otherwise there are going to be even more unhappy Wigan fans

Joe Burgess had best get some time in on the sun beds this year as he looks a bit ginger to me so he'd best stock up on the factor 50!
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

KOOCH wrote:What is happening with the posts.I am using the quotes correctly but they appear to be merged as one.
I've fixed your post, you did use the quotes but your reply was inside the last one :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

What surprises me is that on my other post about Ryan Shutton signing a 4yr contract their are only a couple replies saying well done to the club for getting him to resign. Yet on here their are over 50 replies and quite a few slagging the club and Burgess off for them not keeping him or for him not staying. We seem quick to criticize and slow to praise at times.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is the way of the world Sutty. People more readily criticise than praise in all walks of life. Losing such a promising player is a bitter pill and Wigan's policy of good new / bad news was never likely to dissapate the disappointment felt.