Centres

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Centres

Post by First Try Tickle »

For me, centre is one of the most important positions on the pitch and some of my favourite Wigan players played here, Dean Bell, Gene Miles, Steve Renouf and George Carmont. But this year Wane seems to be happy with a 2nd row convert and a utility back. Ok Sarge did well in the 4 nations, but Gelling has no idea. He's like another David Veaaliki.

I always hoped we would sign Yeaman from Hull or Welham from KR. I was never Gouldings biggest fan, but at least he was a true centre.

Fujiman

Re: Centres

Post by Fujiman »

First Try Tickle wrote:For me, centre is one of the most important positions on the pitch and some of my favourite Wigan players played here, Dean Bell, Gene Miles, Steve Renouf and George Carmont. But this year Wane seems to be happy with a 2nd row convert and a utility back. Ok Sarge did well in the 4 nations, but Gelling has no idea. He's like another David Veaaliki.

I always hoped we would sign Yeaman from Hull or Welham from KR. I was never Gouldings biggest fan, but at least he was a true centre.
Very harsh and I see he's back to being this years scapegoat :o
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I like Gelling. He's a maverick but can win us matches!
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Fujiman wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:For me, centre is one of the most important positions on the pitch and some of my favourite Wigan players played here, Dean Bell, Gene Miles, Steve Renouf and George Carmont. But this year Wane seems to be happy with a 2nd row convert and a utility back. Ok Sarge did well in the 4 nations, but Gelling has no idea. He's like another David Veaaliki.

Very harsh and I see he's back to being this years scapegoat :o
No, it's not his fault, he's a second rower so should not be at centre.

I'm blaming Wane for releasing Goulding and replacing him with Gelling,
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

mickw wrote:Gelling for me is a complete liability his handling and decision making are truly awful, some on here last season comparing him to Inga dear oh dear.
Skinny Inga
deancartwright1990

Post by deancartwright1990 »

Both Welham and Yeaman not the best IMO opinion but would prefer Welham at Wigan. Natural centre who may be better at a better club.

Gelling's hands are so poor. Cant run onto a ball and always finds touch whether he's running or passing.

If he is the best thing we have to roll at centre, shows what a bad position we are in.

Fans saying other fans are scapegoating him, would he get in either Leeds, Saints, Wire or even Hull FC, Castlefords or Catalans centres.............?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Another David Veaaliki?

Harsh. Gelling can at least run!
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

When the lad as a good game he's suddenly the best thing since sliced bread.For someone who was a relative novice to the game he's not done that badly.What did he do wrong at the widnes game that others did better.Give him a break it's not his favoured position it is Wane that slotted him into that position.Next time he scores the winning try remember this is the guy that can do nothing right.Rewind the widnes game if you still have it on your hard drive and keep your eye on Gelling you might just be surprised at what he did right and others did wrong.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Is this the same Gelling who last season, supporters were praising?

One bad game out of two and we are back to the days of him being not good enough and the scapegoat!
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

you can praise someone if they play well and criticise them when they dont you know folks ! Its not hypocrisy its seeing each game as it's played and rating a player in that game. For me Gelling did play well towards the end of the season but that was all, he was still not a great. I still think he struggles to pass in short space and also catching a pass under pressure ..... Never Wigan's No. 3 for me.

what's the saying .... Even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing