Russell Crowe, Souths

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: Russell Crowe, Souths

Post by cpwigan »

It is on record that I AND other said the best thing about not winning the GF was not having to face Souths and getting hammered. Truth be told we would have lost by more than Saints did.

Churlish poking fun at their loss puts us at their level.

At least Cunningham recognises the Madge philosophy
"I know how good they are, Michael Maguire is bit of an idol of mine as a coach and I knew what they were going to do.

"They didn't do anything different. They completed in the upper 80s (completion rate percentages) in the first half and 93 in the second, whereas we were 62 and 50."

Saints captain Jon Wilkin said: "They played a Test-match style of rugby, whereas we played Super League. It's absolutely chalk and cheese.

"What this series has showed is that the NRL teams don't make mistakes. In Super League we are more flamboyant and throw the ball around a bit more. Crucially all three teams across the weekend have made fundamental errors.

"It's difficult to take but it's a learning experience for our young guys who have aspirations to go on and play for England."
Rember what Shaun Wane said :roll:
"Michael Maguire has put a structure in place, which is going to carry on, but I feel I can improve things.

"There's been games this year I don't think we should have lost and it's my job as head coach to make sure the lads are prepared and we win those games.""
Interestingly you can see how Madge has developed a game plan that is very different fro in many respects from his Wigan days whereas Wane is stuck and made worse that game plan.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It's a joke cp, it's called banter!

You should have heard the stuff being spouted by saints fans after our game v the donkeys.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
mickh

Post by mickh »

Just heard that Issac Luke has been arrested at Manchester Airport for going through the "Nothing to Declare" Gate!

He had James Roby (Man of Steel)in his pocket! :D [/b]
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mickh wrote:Just heard that Issac Luke has been arrested at Manchester Airport for going through the "Nothing to Declare" Gate!

He had James Roby (Man of Steel)in his pocket! :D [/b]
????????

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jolleymike

Post by jolleymike »

Just listened the BBC video interview on the bbc RL web page with Russell Crowe, just love his passion and vision for the Rabbito's, it's no wonder madge left us to go there.

Think his idea of a world club challenge of the top 4 from each competition is a great idea, but holding it in Vegas will be to expensive for the pocket of most English super league club fans.

Either way I just hope Mr lenegan has had a few minutes with Russell n takes a few of his ideas on board and pushes them to the RFL, (the salary cap for one) something tells me he is one of the administrators (owners) that is quite happy to leave it as is.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Yeah I think you're right. Lots of his comments and ideas about thinking big were on the bob - although his membership and community ideas look very similar to way Wigan have worked for years.

The only fly in the ointment was his ideas about Vegas. It might work as a Televisual spectacle, but it would be to empty stadia. The average superleague fan isn't going to be able to afford to make it to the travel hub that is las Vegas. I think here, Russel has lost his perspective on achievable a bit. Getting people to go to Cardiff was a miracle.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

I personally think Wigan would have done better than saints but the truth is S Sydney is a class above any SL team.

Maybe for next year our top four should play the NRL bottom four to make it an even contest? (Tongue in cheek) but thats my view on how we compare to the NRL.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

weststand-rich wrote:Yeah I think you're right. Lots of his comments and ideas about thinking big were on the bob - although his membership and community ideas look very similar to way Wigan have worked for years.

The only fly in the ointment was his ideas about Vegas. It might work as a Televisual spectacle, but it would be to empty stadia. The average superleague fan isn't going to be able to afford to make it to the travel hub that is las Vegas. I think here, Russel has lost his perspective on achievable a bit. Getting people to go to Cardiff was a miracle.
It would seem incredibly ambitious Vegas. If it did happen it would I think be about trying to fill the stadium with Americans rather than expecting Brits and Aussies to fill the stadia. Is it any crazier than American Football playing to sell out crowds in London? Crowe also highlighted the need for a 3rd competition to be developed of an equal standing to the NRL and SL.

Perhaps, an NRL round in Vegas / USA is more achievable. An Origin Match? (A 4th Origin was held in the USA back in the day)
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Subject matter re- Russel Crowe.

Spoken with a suit on in the pissing down rain:
I may be Maximus, I may be Javert, I may be Superman's father, but deep down I want to be a Rugby League Player.
That's all I need to know about that man, he lives and breathes in what he believes. I wish every club in the UK had one of those Crowes and one to run the RFL too.