Burgess

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Burgess

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

cpwigan wrote:12 (potential) points created, 6 points lost

Or has he become you blame player too (as he is leaving)
Come on CP.Those statistics are rubbish and you now it.I am not a Burgess basher but you have to admit he has been less than poor in ALL the games his tackling and positional play have been abbismal to say the least.I also will add he is no means on his own. Farrel has gone from world beater to liability through Wane's coaching of what he terms aggression.I term thug.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
cpwigan wrote:12 (potential) points created, 6 points lost

Or has he become you blame player too (as he is leaving)
Come on CP. Those statistics are rubbish and you now it.I am not a Burgess basher but you have to admit he has been less than poor in ALL the games his tackling and positional play have been abbismal to say the least.I also will add he is no means on his own. Farrel has gone from world beater to liability through Wane's coaching of what he terms aggression.I term thug.
KITD, I agree his efforts this season have been inconsistent with some bad mistakes. There are reasons for that such as no regular centre partner, a young stand off defending that side, a leadership team member who has gone from textbook defending to kamikaze headcase. So as a young player you are not going to be defending very well with such mayhem inside you. The plus part is he still shows considerable finishing ability.

Not yourself but I think when some fans know you are leaving you become 'rubbish' come what may.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I have no problem with him leaving whatsoever. He is doing what I have done for my whole working life, looked after number 1!
However I am not happy that his head is in the right place at this moment in time for whatever reason, and if that is the case, then he should be removed from firing line and somebody else, Manfredi, given a chance, simple as that.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

If there is any problem in his head it will be lack of confidence given the way the season has started.

I think CPW is right to look to the players inside him.

Last season him and Farrell had a great understanding and Burgess gave many an inside pass for Faz who was in support of a break. Now Faz is off on another planet.

And we also had Green instead of Williams directing things down that side.

He has also had different centres.

There have been a lot of changes to this team to its detriment and one place this is showing up is on that side of the pitch.
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

IMO the lads only guilty of trying too hard because he probably believes people will have him under scrutiny ..... and he'd be correct. This is affecting him and his ability to relax and play
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
markill

Post by markill »

I don't see a problem with his defence or tackling in general. It's his errors. Each one compounds the last and creates the next because he is trying to live up to the expectation and scrutiny. He possibly needs some time out of the side but the best thing for him would maybe be of his replacement did even worse, so he isn't the scapegoat of player under the microscope anymore. I still think he is offering plenty of positives but needs to keep it simple where possible. That stops the errors I'd hope.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I can't see him being dropped though.
Yes a few errors and they have cost us.
He still scored at Widnes after dropping the ball to let Mellor in. Lost the ball against Brisbane from which they scored then later scored the try of the weekend if not the season. Again he cost v HKR but scored and another great inside pass for Williams to score.

I've watched the game a fair while and I do have to say in his favour that I think he is the most unselfish winger I've ever seen. That break of his down the outside then the inside pass has given us numerous trys. We would lose more then we'd gain if he was dropped.
Have to agree that Manfredi needs game time but I wouldn't "rotate" Burgess right now!
Cas is not the place to give Manfredi his first game of the season.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think Wane has two classes of leaving player, ones he will play regardless and ones he will freeze out regardless.

Goulding and Taylor seemed to fall into the freeze out camp.

Burgess seems to fall into the play regardless camp.

I would expect Burgess to play 100% of games this season when available. Unlike say Charnley who only has to make a small error at the start of each year to be dropped for a few games it seems. I can't imagine him still being in the side right now if he had dropped as much ball as Burgess.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

Mike wrote:I think Wane has two classes of leaving player, ones he will play regardless and ones he will freeze out regardless.

I would expect Burgess to play 100% of games this season when available. Unlike say Charnley who only has to make a small error at the start of each year to be dropped for a few games it seems. I can't imagine him still being in the side right now if he had dropped as much ball as Burgess.
Players that are leaving to go to rival Super League clubs certainly seem to get treated differently to those going to the NRL.

You are certainly right about Charnley, he has been dropped on a number of occasions for far less than what Burgess has done.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Dobby wrote:
Mike wrote:I think Wane has two classes of leaving player, ones he will play regardless and ones he will freeze out regardless.

Players that are leaving to go to rival Super League clubs certainly seem to get treated differently to those going to the NRL.

You are certainly right about Charnley, he has been dropped on a number of occasions for far less than what Burgess has done.
Exactly, and especially with Manfredi on the side, there should be no difference!