How did Greg Burke play?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: How did Greg Burke play?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

TSB wrote:Hi everyone Greg Burkes Dad here.

The reason Greg has gone to Hull KR on a loan period is simple,
he was asked by Rads and Shaun would he consider going to Hull KR
as Chris Chester had asked about him regarding a loan spell.
Greg was not going to get much game time at Wigan in the early rounds
Fair play to Shaun and Chris they did not put any pressure on him but we decided it would be a great chance for him to learn his trade in Superleague rather than the Championship. its just like learning an apprenticeship and having to go into big world with another company.

At the moment Greg has settled in and is loving his time at Hull KR they are a real family orientated club the fans are great.

But you cut our Greg in Half and he will read Wigan Warriors all the way through him. He Loves Wigan.
Shaun and Rads say he will be back next year.

Hope this is o/k
That is more than ok. Thanks for the update, I think that everyone concerned has made a logical decision which I hope is to the benefit of HKR in the short-term and Greg and Wigan in the long-term. I for one think that Greg has got the skills and attributes to succeed but you just can't buy the experience. Good luck to you both.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
markill

Post by markill »

Fair play to Shaun and Chris they did not put any pressure on him but we decided it would be a great chance for him to learn his trade in Superleague rather than the Championship. its just like learning an apprenticeship and having to go into big world with another company.

At the moment Greg has settled in and is loving his time at Hull KR they are a real family orientated club the fans are great.

But you cut our Greg in Half and he will read Wigan Warriors all the way through him. He Loves Wigan.

Hope this is o/k
This is great. It's exactly what we all knew had happened if we ever believed what we were told in press reports anyway! Haha.

His ability to pass near the line combined with his size but relative lack of off the mark speed makes me see Greg as a prop in the James Graham mould. It would be interesting to know where you/Greg see his best position as being?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Tuigamala wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Greg has been selected by KR week in week out. I know one thing if you asked Greg or Connor F who was the better player out of the two both if they were honest would say GREG BURKE.

His selection which is as expected has only been three games so far and why compared him with Connor Farrell who is more new to our squad than him.

As I have asked, do you think that his loan at Hull KR is is more to do with getting more experience and game time in order to return as a first team player like Charnley before him at Hull KR or like Tuson at Castleford being put in a shop window to sell.

I await your valued opinion.
What's your beef with Burke Whelley? U seem to have a chip on your shoulder would you care to divulge as to why?
I do not have a beef about Burke as you seem to think, only asking if he has gone to Hull KR to gain more experience and game time like Charnley did or with a view to him having been put in a shop window with a view to sell.

What do you think?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:Why mention Greg OR Connor? They went to the same school albeit Greg was a year older. IMO, at this present time and certainly in the past, Greg was head and shoulders above Connor. Greg Burke was probably the best forward for his age group in the country. In terms of skills and RL brain/know how he is up there with the very best in Britain and in Aus/NZ. If he had more short distance speed he would kill it! The RFL identified prop as his optimum position hence he played there for England Academy. Wigan I belie see him as a back rower.

Other than the ludicrous age restriction re Academy. Greg Burke is a better RL player than several supposedly ahead of him now. I do not believe the oh once they turn 21 o above they have to move. If a 22 or 25 year old makes Wigan a better team okay them.

We happily write players off. Jack Hughes, Greg Burke and what about Sam Hopkins? (we never got an opportunity to see him do well or fail.
Still waiting for a answer to the question!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Hope this is o/k
Good post and OK, and if what you say is true, he HAS gone just like Charnley to Hull KR to get more experience and game time which he would not get here with Bateman, Farrell, O'Loughlin, Tomkins, Patrick likely to be the regular occupants of the second row and loose forward positions.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question about what the type of the Loan was for Burke.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:

Hope this is o/k
Good post and OK, and if what you say is true, he HAS gone just like Charnley to Hull KR to get more experience and game time which he would not get here with Bateman, Farrell, O'Loughlin, Tomkins, Patrick likely to be the regular occupants of the second row and loose forward positions.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question about what the type of the Loan was for Burke.
To say "....and if what you say is true..." to his father is extremely patronising. Have a word with yourself.
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Tuigamala wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
His selection which is as expected has only been three games so far and why compared him with Connor Farrell who is more new to our squad than him.

As I have asked, do you think that his loan at Hull KR is is more to do with getting more experience and game time in order to return as a first team player like Charnley before him at Hull KR or like Tuson at Castleford being put in a shop window to sell.

I await your valued opinion.
What's your beef with Burke Whelley? U seem to have a chip on your shoulder would you care to divulge as to why?
I do not have a beef about Burke as you seem to think, only asking if he has gone to Hull KR to gain more experience and game time like Charnley did or with a view to him having been put in a shop window with a view to sell.

What do you think?
Why would you send a young kid with all the skills/potential in the world out on loan to put him in the shop window when he has 2 years left on his contract??? You make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I suggest you buy a season ticket and learn a little bit about the Warriors before you carry on posting b*llocks on here.
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

sc74

Post by sc74 »

Thanks Mr Burke and congratulations on your son.
I can't even begin to imagine how proud you are. It brings a tear to my eye just seeing my 3 year old in his Wigan shirt.
All the best to you and your family!
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

sc74 wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:

Hope this is o/k

To say "....and if what you say is true..." to his father is extremely patronising. Have a word with yourself.

Oh please, its not exactly unheard of for coaches to tell a player one thing and do another. We'll see what pans out down the line but either way I am really glad that Burke is finally getting a proper taste of first team Super League rugby and by all accounts is enjoying his time there.
jobo

Post by jobo »

sc74 wrote:Thanks Mr Burke and congratulations on your son.
I can't even begin to imagine how proud you are. It brings a tear to my eye just seeing my 3 year old in his Wigan shirt.
All the best to you and your family!
+ 1