home grown players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
menpond

home grown players

Post by menpond »

When did we get a top class centre or forwards through the ranks?Halfbacks,hopefully one in WILLIAMS., and wingers,but not that many there over time.Who picks and developes the players?,or is the under 19s a glorified teenage side for social,paternalist reasons? AT 18/19 we should know who might make it,and size challenged players ought to be gone.Wane probably thinks because they are Wiganers they are bionic.
mp
Suzieb

Re: home grown players

Post by Suzieb »

I 100% agree that we should have home grown lads there is a great deal of talent in the amateur clubs why spend X amount of money on overseas players they have just got to be coached right
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Why demand top class home grown centres for Wigan when throughout SL there aren't any? Sarginson was the best England centre last four nations and he's at Wigan brought in from Hemel via London. Watkins isn't home grown, though Shenton at Cas is! As for forwards there are plenty, I'll start with the club captain and you Menp..can continue.

I reckon there should be a "club trained" quota for each team's match day 17. I'd look to eight as a target to go for. Start at say four then each year increase by one until we get to eight.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

menpond wrote:When did we get a top class centre or forwards through the ranks?Halfbacks,hopefully one in WILLIAMS., and wingers,but not that many there over time.Who picks and developes the players?,or is the under 19s a glorified teenage side for social,paternalist reasons? AT 18/19 we should know who might make it,and size challenged players ought to be gone.Wane probably thinks because they are Wiganers they are bionic.
We sign the best available talent but like EVERY other club for every success there are probably a dozen 'failures' (N.B none are failures IMO). It is the same in all sports.

More halfbacks in the last season or two for as long as I can remember. We have some excellent young centres and some very promising wingers. We also have excellent fullbacks.
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

If you compare the size of our youth to stains etc our players are not as tall and bulky. Anyone else noticed or is it me?
IN WANE WE TRUST
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

eccywarrior wrote:If you compare the size of our youth to stains etc our players are not as tall and bulky. Anyone else noticed or is it me?
we always seem to produce boys rather than men if you get what i'm saying
doc

Post by doc »

A lot of the U19s rivals seem to have bigger players than us however our players, especially the forwards, seem to be better conditioned.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

doc wrote:A lot of the U19s rivals seem to have bigger players than us however our players, especially the forwards, seem to be better conditioned.
Are our players not usually younger though?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Dobby wrote:
doc wrote:A lot of the U19s rivals seem to have bigger players than us however our players, especially the forwards, seem to be better conditioned.
Are our players not usually younger though?
Yes generally

We also have some big forwards in our academy/youth set ups. Some are very big. Size is not the issue many make it out to be. To be honest, the bigger you are, the less suited you are to Waneball.
menpond

Post by menpond »

So Noel Cleal would not get into our side ,because he is too big,and fast? Baffled.
mp