players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Re: players

Post by markill »

I think Tautai and maybe Patrick will miss out against Warrington, with Clubb and Mossop probably both getting a game off in the next few weeks. Maybe Farrell too. But not for Warrington.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

cpwigan wrote:Odd, apart from some mistakes earlier in the season I think Budgie is have a really good spell. The two tries today and many he scores could only be scored by him in our team.

It will not happen any time soon but Charnley for Gelling at centre is something I would like to see.
I don't agree even yesterday budgie made some bad decisions he seems to me to be a 50/50 player does somthing good and then messes up.
This could be down to age but then again i havent seen the issue with manfredi.

I havent seen a try this season from budgie that Charnley or Manfredi couldnt make.

Now Don't get me wrong Burgess is a brilliant Winger and i think wigan are lucky that we have 3 world class wingers and another one possibly breaking through.

However this year i would like to see Charnley and Manfredi play more, Charnley is proven and adds experiance to a young side and Manfredi so far is playing better than Burgess.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
markill

Post by markill »

Caboosegg wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Odd, apart from some mistakes earlier in the season I think Budgie is have a really good spell. The two tries today and many he scores could only be scored by him in our team.

It will not happen any time soon but Charnley for Gelling at centre is something I would like to see.
I don't agree even yesterday budgie made some bad decisions he seems to me to be a 50/50 player does somthing good and then messes up.

I havent seen a try this season from budgie that Charnley or Manfredi couldnt make.

Now Don't get me wrong Burgess is a brilliant Winger and i think wigan are lucky that we have 3 world class wingers and another one possibly breaking through.

However this year i would like to see Charnley and Manfredi play more, Charnley is proven and adds experiance to a young side and Manfredi so far is playing better than Burgess.
How about his yet assist for Faz against Wakey? Never seen Josh do that.

I think perceptions are skewed by the fact that he is leaving. Since he came back into the side after being dropped for Castleford he has gone really well.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

markill wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:

How about his yet assist for Faz against Wakey? Never seen Josh do that.

I think perceptions are skewed by the fact that he is leaving. Since he came back into the side after being dropped for Castleford he has gone really well.
just because you have never seen it doesnt mean he can't. ive never seen Budgie chip a ball over a defenders head get back to the ball kick it into futher into the opponents half outpace the oposition and score a try, ive seen Charnley do this. do i think budgie could? possibly.

i have nothing against Budgie due to him leaving i thought he was 50/50 last year for everything brilliant he does he makes a big error,
my opionion is based on observation at games.

Manfredi is playing better than Budgie currently.

Charnley is an amazing finisher, granted this year he hasnt been brilliant yet, but in every game hes played Wigan in general havent been great.

in my Opinion i would like to see Charnley and Manfredi more this season if they are playing better than budgie at the end of the day if either Manfredi or Charnley are pushed to the fringes of the squad another club will snap them up, new contracts or not.

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Dropping Burgess on yesterday's form and his performances recently would send out the wrong message IMO. He's been excellent and even though he's leaving we still have everything to play for this year and we need to build competition. A few weeks of Charnley battling to get in should see him revved up and ready to start producing the form if a couple of years ago. He's blown hit and cold too much for me these past couple of seasons although injuries have played their part.

It's a great position to be in! We have three wingers that would all find a spot in pretty much any other superleague team.
robspark

Post by robspark »

Manfredi is playing well, one reason is he is playing a position he is used to, if he swaps wings he needs time to adapt.

Regardless of who plays on the wings we could be far more effective with decent centres playing inside them.

I agree the Charnley needs to earn his place back as both wingers are not doing much wrong, Waney has a selection headache.....
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DM has been in better form than JC pre injury so i dont see why he shouldnt stay in the team
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

In these kind of debates (who to play) us fans tend to go for the form players, just thinking about beating Wire or whoever.

Clearly a coach has to look at other factors - keeping players fresh for the end of the season, managing injuries, rotating the squad etc. It will also be our 4th game in 2 weeks - how are individual players responding, who is carrying a knock? Who needs encouragement, and who'd benefit from knowing they're under pressure?

If Ben Flower is back, maybe Moose needs a rest? If you drop Budgie and he starts to think "who cares, I'm going at the end of the season", then Charnley or Manfredi get injured, you've undermined the team.

Personally, I'd play Flower, Lockers, Bateman and Crosby to keep the team fresh and leave out Patrick and possibly Moose and/or Sutton to keep them fresh and hungry. Might also be good to give George Williams a break and play Rocky at 6 and Bowen at 1?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
curryman

Post by curryman »

NICKYKISS wrote:Dropping Burgess on yesterday's form and his performances recently would send out the wrong message IMO. He's been excellent and even though he's leaving we still have everything to play for this year and we need to build competition. A few weeks of Charnley battling to get in should see him revved up and ready to start producing the form if a couple of years ago. He's blown hit and cold too much for me these past couple of seasons although injuries have played their part.

It's a great position to be in! We have three wingers that would all find a spot in pretty much any other superleague team.
I agree 100%, since the Castleford game, Burgess has been excellent. He is our best finisher and does not deserve to be dropped. The fact he is leaving at the end of the season is irrelevant. That's to worry about next season. There weren't the same debates about Sam when he announced he was leaving. Or with Sam Burgess at the Rabbitohs. You play your best players and at the moment, our best wingers are Burgess and Dom. JC is going to have to win his place back, which I am sure, he will.

We currently have a wealth of riches on the wings, we should enjoy that whilst we can.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

curryman wrote:
NICKYKISS wrote:Dropping Burgess on yesterday's form and his performances recently would send out the wrong message IMO. He's been excellent and even though he's leaving we still have everything to play for this year and we need to build competition. A few weeks of Charnley battling to get in should see him revved up and ready to start producing the form if a couple of years ago. He's blown hit and cold too much for me these past couple of seasons although injuries have played their part.

I agree 100%, since the Castleford game, Burgess has been excellent. He is our best finisher and does not deserve to be dropped. The fact he is leaving at the end of the season is irrelevant. That's to worry about next season. There weren't the same debates about Sam when he announced he was leaving. Or with Sam Burgess at the Rabbitohs. You play your best players and at the moment, our best wingers are Burgess and Dom. JC is going to have to win his place back, which I am sure, he will.

We currently have a wealth of riches on the wings, we should enjoy that whilst we can.
Well said Curryman

Or Josh can try out for a centre position v say Wakefield.