Ben Flower Interview

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TV Warrior

Re: Ben Flower Interview

Post by TV Warrior »

Great interview in The Guardian. Ben was stupid and done a very dangerous violent thing. However, the most damage done was to himself and the team he plays for. This doesn't excuse his actions but it should inform the way he is treated from now on. He has served his ban, one which imo was OTT and was given because where & when the offence took place and the reaction to it on social media. He has taken his licks, both the ban and the abuse, and is looking to come out the other side a wiser individual. Here's hoping he gets a fair crack of the whip which he undoubtedly deserves.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

very interesting read, and the a good interview,

its a shame sky has turned it into some tabliod rubbish and and uses negative reenforcement when descibing the incident.

im very upset i am going to be missing the warrington game, i wanted to be on the pitch cheering his return.

onwards and upwards and all that
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I'm just sick of it.
Ben Flower retaliated when he was hit by a player who'd chased him 25 meters and smashed his elbow/forearm into his jaw.
Anyone who's taken the time to see the freeze frame at the point of impact where Hohaia hits him will have seen the bend in Ben Flower's jaw, his face distorted with pain and the fact the the force of the impact lifted him (over 17st) off the ground.
The only reason he's been pilloried is due to useless and incompetant refrees and match officials. If they had gone to the VR then both men would have been sent off and probably recieved the same ban and fine no doubt. With there being a self imposed ban on the VR being used in foul play then we end up with wrong decisions as we did here.
Same as in the HKR/Saints game where Green smashed Burns and only got a one match ban.
The idea of a prison sentence is stupid. Only one man raced 25 mtrs to assaut the other, the victim threw two punches in an attempt to defend himself. There was only one assailant and one victim.
No wonder the CPS and GMP went nowhere near the case.
From rumours around "Flower" is the biggest selling name on this year's shirt.
So I'm not alone in thinking Ben has been badly treated by the media and RFL but most of all by his own club.
That article like most that has been written and broadcast is utterly nauseating and I'm sick of it.
The club should give him a new 5 year contract!

Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wiganer Ted wrote:I'm just sick of it.
Ben Flower retaliated when he was hit by a player who'd chased him 25 meters and smashed his elbow/forearm into his jaw.
Anyone who's taken the time to see the freeze frame at the point of impact where Hohaia hits him will have seen the bend in Ben Flower's jaw, his face distorted with pain and the fact the the force of the impact lifted him (over 17st) off the ground.
The only reason he's been pilloried is due to useless and incompetant refrees and match officials. If they had gone to the VR then both men would have been sent off and probably recieved the same ban and fine no doubt. With there being a self imposed ban on the VR being used in foul play then we end up with wrong decisions as we did here.
Same as in the HKR/Saints game where Green smashed Burns and only got a one match ban.
The idea of a prison sentence is stupid. Only one man raced 25 mtrs to assaut the other, the victim threw two punches in an attempt to defend himself. There was only one assailant and one victim.
So I'm not alone in thinking Ben has been badly treated by the media and RFL but most of all by his own club.
That article like most that has been written and broadcast is utterly nauseating and I'm sick of it.

and thats a can of worms to open :D

i don't agree, Yes Hohaia caused the incident, and his one game ban made a joke,

flowers first punch no issue. second punch is not self defence,

the issue is the media lept on this and i didnt see one report were they played everything always just a slowed down clip of flowers second punch which made everything much worse,

add people like big ears football presenters adding there 2 pound,

biggest joke Jamie Peacock making a comment on it being a disgrace, it only takes 2 seconds on youtube to find him doing similar.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

Wiganer Ted wrote:I'm just sick of it.

I was speaking to an ex superleague ref not so long ago and I asked him what he thought of the Ben Flower and Lance Hohaia incident and he was shocked that Hohaia wasn't sent off. He said it is a red card every day of the week and he thinks Bentham chickened out due to Hohaia being knocked out.
superleague

Post by superleague »

People think that was disgraceful all I'll say is haha, it was two punches for f's sake, it's not as tho he stabbed him, the who thing is ridiculously ott, he should of hit the little runt harder
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Caboosegg wrote:very interesting read, and the a good interview,

its a shame sky has turned it into some tabliod rubbish and and uses negative reenforcement when descibing the incident.

im very upset i am going to be missing the warrington game, i wanted to be on the pitch cheering his return.

onwards and upwards and all that
Sky are a bunch of tossers. I tried to post a welcome back on the sports page.But guess what they are not interested in the positives.They where only to happy to post all the nasty comments about him.And people ask why I have sly tv.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

seems like the whole issue got under Charnleys skin a bit there.

but quite right, time to move on.

1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.