Sam T @ 6 for 2016?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wes

Re: Sam T @ 6 for 2016?

Post by Wes »

cpwigan wrote:
Mike wrote:
cpwigan wrote:If I was Sam I would take the offer from the UK that offers him the best opportunity to maximise his earnings during and post playing.
So a RU deal then?
No interest
If he is not interested in RU that shows he isnotoutto get the best deal financially!!!
I know he will be paid a lot but I don't think he is coming to Wigan for the best financial deal, he could get more elsewhere be it in RL or RU.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I think what CP was saying that there's been no interest in Sam exhibited by rugby union.
There's been little documented evidence of that but still the majority of Rugby League teams interest has been muted to some extent.
The secret of where Sam is going has been kept pretty well secure although plenty of strong rumours have been banded about since his so called slip up on NZ radio media.
the sully bar

Post by the sully bar »

Your all debating about things that only sam and his close circle truely know about so i dont see the point in wanting to know his reasons as there his and his alone ,

What matters is that is he coming back to wigan and if he is surely it will be announced tonight live on sky as IL loves the attention , if its not i would start to dowt if he is coming back to wigan at this late stage ,as for no interest from RU im not that sure about that what i do know is tomkins has no interest in playing the game ...who knows :doz:
He has got the strengh he has got the speed..and hes beaten him....Ray French on Henderson Gills try 1985 cup final.
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

cpwigan wrote:If I was Sam I would take the offer from the UK that offers him the best opportunity to maximise his earnings during and post playing.

If it was me I would have remained in the NRL and proved myself.

Am I glad he is back with us, yes albeit I think he has let himself down badly quite a few times. If Sam plays full back and we get George / Rocky as our halfbacks, AWESOME.

A ? for you or anybody. Who was/is the better NRL player; Matty Bowen or Sam Tomkins?

Capiche :)
Who was better in their debut NRL season?
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

eccywarrior wrote:them who say sam couldnt hack nrl is completely untrue as he didnt certainly look out of place... especially in attack
Most of the people you mention have not even seen him play in NZ,i watched him every game on Premier Sports and although not outstanding he had some very good games.He would certainly have got even better and will come back to SL an improved player without doubt.
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

old hooker wrote:
eccywarrior wrote:them who say sam couldnt hack nrl is completely untrue as he didnt certainly look out of place... especially in attack
Most of the people you mention have not even seen him play in NZ,i watched him every game on Premier Sports and although not outstanding he had some very good games.He would certainly have got even better and will come back to SL an improved player without doubt.
I think he had more good games than bad. He linked up with johnson better than any other player on team. I was suprised mc fadden didnt play him at 6. He certainly aint a failure.
IN WANE WE TRUST
markill

Post by markill »

old hooker wrote:
I agree, I watched most but probably not quite all his games for NZW.

His 1st game this year, after missing a couple, was outstanding and he was looking in top form before the injury during the couple of games he played.

I suppose we need to ask what defines success and how much can one individual determine it in a team sport? CP calls him a selfish player all out for individual glory in one post but then seems to suggest he should have done more as an individual to make his team better.

Was he a stand out player for NZ Warriors last year? I'd say yes from what I saw. Not great defensively all the time but much improved under pressure/taking high balls and very potent in attack behind a team that make an awful lot of mistakes when promoting off the cuff play in the forwards, something very different to the no offloading pack he left behind. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought he led the Warriors in try assists and averaged better than a try every other game last year (13, 2nd for the Warriors).

He had a try record in 2014 better than Brett Stewart, the same as Greg Inglis, better than Matt Moylan, better than Michael Morgan, better than Billy Slater, better than Sam Perrett, better than Ben Barba. Only Anthony Minichiello of fullbacks for NRL sides that finished above the Warriors (so made the playoffs, so were more successful sides) had a better try record. Only Morgan is not a former/current/future international/SOO fullback.

When I fail, I hope I fail so well.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

I just hope that he isn't still considering where to go and then reads this thread......

TV Warrior

Post by TV Warrior »

Can't believe people think he's been a failure. Only maybe in relation to the fee NZW paid for him could he even be considered less than adequate. Judging him purely on his performances you'd have to say he wasnt an outstanding success but taking into account it was his first season at what is traditionally a mid table club he did well. 13 tries in 21 games might not be anywhere near as good as his record for Wigan but you've got to factor in different standard of opponents and the different standard of the team he plays for. Wigan were the top team in Super League. A team that played to maximise opportunities for Sam when it became apparent how good he was. NZW didn't build their team around Sam, a smart decision given he is returning to England, and utilised him as their second or third creative player. Despite this he scored tries at better than 1in2 and was often the guy to create a try through his running or more often his incredible passing. Sam is coming back a better player than left & I can only hope its back to Wigan.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

KaylaRobbo wrote:I just hope that he isn't still considering where to go and then reads this thread......
:roll: Are you for real? Sam and his advisors decided long ago where he was going and I think we can safely say they never once looked at internet forums when deciding.

Lordy Lordy Lordy