Sam T @ 6 for 2016?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: Sam T @ 6 for 2016?

Post by cpwigan »

TV Warrior wrote:Can't believe people think he's been a failure. Only maybe in relation to the fee NZW paid for him could he even be considered less than adequate. Judging him purely on his performances you'd have to say he wasnt an outstanding success but taking into account it was his first season at what is traditionally a mid table club he did well. 13 tries in 21 games might not be anywhere near as good as his record for Wigan but you've got to factor in different standard of opponents and the different standard of the team he plays for. Wigan were the top team in Super League. A team that played to maximise opportunities for Sam when it became apparent how good he was. NZW didn't build their team around Sam, a smart decision given he is returning to England, and utilised him as their second or third creative player. Despite this he scored tries at better than 1in2 and was often the guy to create a try through his running or more often his incredible passing. Sam is coming back a better player than left & I can only hope its back to Wigan.
Sam wasn't paid what he was paid to simply be ordinary. Even now Wane ET Al describe him as world class and he was ordinary for large parts of the NRL season. Yes, I watched every one of his games. Nobody has yet explained that if Sam was so good why did NSW try everything to retain him. Nobody has suggested that having seen his first NRL season whether or not his value to NRL clubs went up or down (down considerably IMO hence why he is returning). Great that Sam is returning to SL BTW but that is his level, the NRL was too tough for him N.B tough means many things. Rest assured he will be fine/fantastic in SL; it's not the NRL!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

josie andrews wrote:
Mike wrote:Language!

I'll have to moderate a moderator... :D
Apologies :blush:

Although on reflection there has been a lot worse said at times ????????
I wasn't offended in the slightest.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cpwigan wrote:
TV Warrior wrote:Can't believe people think he's been a failure. Only maybe in relation to the fee NZW paid for him could he even be considered less than adequate. Judging him purely on his performances you'd have to say he wasnt an outstanding success but taking into account it was his first season at what is traditionally a mid table club he did well. 13 tries in 21 games might not be anywhere near as good as his record for Wigan but you've got to factor in different standard of opponents and the different standard of the team he plays for. Wigan were the top team in Super League. A team that played to maximise opportunities for Sam when it became apparent how good he was. NZW didn't build their team around Sam, a smart decision given he is returning to England, and utilised him as their second or third creative player. Despite this he scored tries at better than 1in2 and was often the guy to create a try through his running or more often his incredible passing. Sam is coming back a better player than left & I can only hope its back to Wigan.
Sam wasn't paid what he was paid to simply be ordinary. Even now Wane ET Al describe him as world class and he was ordinary for large parts of the NRL season. Yes, I watched every one of his games. Nobody has yet explained that if Sam was so good why did NSW try everything to retain him. Nobody has suggested that having seen his first NRL season whether or not his value to NRL clubs went up or down (down considerably IMO hence why he is returning). Great that Sam is returning to SL BTW but that is his level, the NRL was too tough for him N.B tough means many things. Rest assured he will be fine/fantastic in SL; it's not the NRL!
I might be missing the point here but I couldn't careless whether Sam was outstanding or ordinary in the NRL. I am a Wigan fan and if he comes back and makes us a better team and ultimately win trophies then I am happy.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
I might be missing the point here but I couldn't careless whether Sam was outstanding or ordinary in the NRL. I am a Wigan fan and if he comes back and makes us a better team and ultimately win trophies then I am happy.
No as I mentioned in another post it matters not to many Wigan fans. Actually, from a Wigan perspective it was vital Sam was average in the NRL otherwise we would never have got him back to SL.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

cpwigan wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Sam wasn't paid what he was paid to simply be ordinary. Even now Wane ET Al describe him as world class and he was ordinary for large parts of the NRL season. Yes, I watched every one of his games. Nobody has yet explained that if Sam was so good why did NSW try everything to retain him. Nobody has suggested that having seen his first NRL season whether or not his value to NRL clubs went up or down (down considerably IMO hence why he is returning). Great that Sam is returning to SL BTW but that is his level, the NRL was too tough for him N.B tough means many things. Rest assured he will be fine/fantastic in SL; it's not the NRL!
No as I mentioned in another post it matters not to many Wigan fans. Actually, from a Wigan perspective it was vital Sam was average in the NRL otherwise we would never have got him back to SL.
He was better than average though.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

yokozuna wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: I might be missing the point here but I couldn't careless whether Sam was outstanding or ordinary in the NRL. I am a Wigan fan and if he comes back and makes us a better team and ultimately win trophies then I am happy.
He was better than average though.
Was he? He certainly did not reflect his fantastic salary.
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

[quote="cpwigan
Was he? He certainly did not reflect his fantastic salary.[/quote]

The majority think he was.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Whilst Bowens is constantly compared to Sam and that many feel the guy's been a failure.Can anyone really blame Matty for giving Super league a go.Whilst I am not privvy to the financial aspect re Bowen I feel sure that he did not come here for peanuts.On his day he's been one fantastic for QCB's so to compare him and Sam does not really tell the truth.Matty came to us at the back end of a glorious career whilst Sam went to the Nrl in his prime.I do not consider either player to be failures One is homesick and the other has extended his pension pot by a further two seasons.If anyone is to blame for Matty's less than sparkling career with Wigan it just as got to be the club because they took a gamble on a player over thirty with two dodgy knees. It's also a given that most Aussies much prefer the warmer weather and the softening of the turf before showing glimpses of why we give them contracts. I am not overly impressed with Matty but I simply don't think he's given the rub of the green because most of us have been saying that he's holding back young Hampshire.I doubt any of us would be questionning Bowens quality in his heyday.Sadly that as I say is the fault of the club in taking a chance on him.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Warrior20 wrote:[quote="cpwigan
Was he? He certainly did not reflect his fantastic salary.
The majority think he was. [/quote]

Who?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

KOOCH wrote:Whilst Bowens is constantly compared to Sam and that many feel the guy's been a failure.Can anyone really blame Matty for giving Super league a go.Whilst I am not privvy to the financial aspect re Bowen I feel sure that he did not come here for peanuts.On his day he's been one fantastic for QCB's so to compare him and Sam does not really tell the truth.Matty came to us at the back end of a glorious career whilst Sam went to the Nrl in his prime.I do not consider either player to be failures One is homesick and the other has extended his pension pot by a further two seasons.If anyone is to blame for Matty's less than sparkling career with Wigan it just as got to be the club because they took a gamble on a player over thirty with two dodgy knees. It's also a given that most Aussies much prefer the warmer weather and the softening of the turf before showing glimpses of why we give them contracts. I am not overly impressed with Matty but I simply don't think he's given the rub of the green because most of us have been saying that he's holding back young Hampshire.I doubt any of us would be questionning Bowens quality in his heyday.Sadly that as I say is the fault of the club in taking a chance on him.
Nobody can blame Matty, he spent a decade loyally achieving greatness in the toughest RL competition in the world. He came to the UK to remain a 1 NRL club, to extend his career and to sample life in Europe.

Overall Matty Bowen is a better player than Sam T but at the end of his career he isn't albeit we occasionally got to see a moment of magic. I do not think Sam T at the same stage in his career with the same injuries / toll on his body could do what Matty did or would even still be playing.