Wane not interested in NRL players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Wane not interested in NRL players

Post by medlocke »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Name one Australian player of currant Origin and International class who is willing to forsake a bigger contract in the NRL and risk not being considered for Origin and International selection, who will come to play in our game?

Perhaps that is what Wane can see!
Wouldn't a player made of fruit be too soft and sqwishy? :lol:
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Obviously it would be hard as I can't speak directly for any NRL players.we got Ryan Hoffman and he has improved since he left.dont forget there's better players in aus that are not in origin that will walk into our team
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

If say a player of Inglis stature is on the market Wane would go for him. But he is correct overall we do not need to sign a pension pot player.

Wane develops a player better than any coach around and I include Madge in that. Wane believes in the youth system. Sarge and Club prime example of players we thought were awful but are now especially Club becoming a very good player.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I do understand that gimble but,I'm not on about the pension pot players.im on about class players that never get picked for the test team or origin.players like tighe,gagai,leilua,loko,takairangi,lulia,lawrence.....these are just a few centres that are all quality players.
I think it's all about the timing of signing these players.
I remember a couple of seasons ago,wests Tigers had a winger called Koroibete.hes a fijian and I couldn't believe how fast and powerful he was.he got cast to one side and I thought,surely someone over here will snap him up(hopefully us).
Melbourne now have him and he's by far the top winger in the nrl.
Like I said it's all about who sees the quality in a player before they get picked at a higher level
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Firestarter wrote:I do understand that gimble but,I'm not on about the pension pot players.im on about class players that never get picked for the test team or origin.players like tighe,gagai,leilua,loko,takairangi,lulia,lawrence.....these are just a few centres that are all quality players.
I think it's all about the timing of signing these players.
I remember a couple of seasons ago,wests Tigers had a winger called Koroibete.hes a fijian and I couldn't believe how fast and powerful he was.he got cast to one side and I thought,surely someone over here will snap him up(hopefully us).
Melbourne now have him and he's by far the top winger in the nrl.
Like I said it's all about who sees the quality in a player before they get picked at a higher level
If the marquee player rule fails will a side pay a player whose career is coming to the end up to 300k on the cap. We paid better players than Gidley and our squad suffered.

If Inglis type player wants to come then its a no brainer. But let's say we sign a good centre from the NRL it would force us to cut at least 2 or more players. The NRL cap is a lot bigger than ours so we would have to pay over the odds For a player and weaken the squad overall.

Problem is if the marquee signing fails Wire have a problem they will pay over for an old player. Look at the players who come to SL they are usually in trouble in the NRL or over the hill for NRL or struggle to make a mark in the NRL.

No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I don't understand why people think Gidley is a marquee signing. If the rule does get voted in then I expect Wire will sign a marquee player for #7 position.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I wouldnt have gidley anyway.always thought he was overrated,unlike his brother
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

I am not saying Gidley is a marquee player. Problem is if he wants more than Myler who is apparently off then another player will have to go as well. If he is their marquee player then they will be OK but Gidley as some say is overrated.

We are lucky we replace players from within or get a potentially good one.

Another way then would you want Gidley instead of Sam marquee rule. If he is or if he is not would you want him instead of both Smith and Williams. Gidley will not be cheap.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Waney wouldn't have even looked at Gidley.

He knows what we've got now and the players coming through.
By my reckoning of the 19 he's named for the Cas game 13 have come through our academy. If Bowen and Patrick miss out then that's 13 out of the 17.

Also, never mind the quantity look at the quality.
Hampshire, Manfredi, Charnley, Burgess, Williams, Crosby, McIlorum, Mossop, Farrell, J Tomkins, O'Loughlin, Sutton & Powell. There's real quality there and I canfully see why he's not interested in NRL players if Gidley is the likely state of what's on offer.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote:Obviously it would be hard as I can't speak directly for any NRL players.we got Ryan Hoffman and he has improved since he left.dont forget there's better players in aus that are not in origin that will walk into our team
Hoffman came, along with Lima & Finch, because of the salary cap debacle with Melbourne Storm.

If it weren't for this reason, I don't think they would have come.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan