Wane not interested in NRL players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Wane not interested in NRL players

Post by Panchitta Marra »

menpond wrote:PM these are all fine players coming through our development system. Bringing in outside players is a different skill. Of course we know who is responsible for all theses individual positions,but big outside signings must be Wane? The rest are local lads and Mossop type boosters from elsewhere.To me Wane has failed to get the right players in the right positions in his reign so far,too often.
MP I tend to agree with your comment regarding players playing out of position, however, feel his arm has been twisted with injuries to players in certain positions.
Sorry I misread your initial post about players not coming from within the development system.
what's your thoughts on the club having so many local talent players in the current team, do you think we can be successful fielding so many local talent players within the current squad?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Name one Australian player of currant Origin and International class who is willing to forsake a bigger contract in the NRL and risk not being considered for Origin and International selection, who will come to play in our game?

Perhaps that is what Wane can see!
Wouldn't a player made of fruit be too soft and sqwishy? :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I had to read it a couple of times before I saw what you were getting at

:roll: :roll:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Name one Australian player of currant Origin and International class who is willing to forsake a bigger contract in the NRL and risk not being considered for Origin and International selection, who will come to play in our game?

"We're capable of signing them," Wane, 50, told BBC Radio Manchester when asked about NRL players.
Obviously not
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Just a shame when things are on the up Wane as per usual courts media attention and makes comments that are not required and to be honest asinine.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I think it's because we are now playing good rugby.Imo there's always room for improvement in any team.I also think there's a little bit more room left on our salary cap than every one thinks.like I keep saying"release Bowen and sign a loan player from the nrl".
Give the player a year loan contract and see how he goes.If most aus players are worth two Brits then bowen's salary will cover the cost.At the end of the season we then get chance to buy another NRL player or,bring another two youngsters through.Simple
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

josie andrews wrote:
Firestarter wrote:Obviously it would be hard as I can't speak directly for any NRL players.we got Ryan Hoffman and he has improved since he left.dont forget there's better players in aus that are not in origin that will walk into our team
Hoffman came, along with Lima & Finch, because of the salary cap debacle with Melbourne Storm.

If it weren't for this reason, I don't think they would have come.
Very true, to say Hoffman has improved since he left does him and wigan a disservice. He was excellent for us, a real asset. If he looks better it is more likely that the quality of his teammates is a lot better.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:

"We're capable of signing them," Wane, 50, told BBC Radio Manchester when asked about NRL players.
Obviously not
Instead of making your normal swiping at Wane, why not name a NRL player who in your opinion would make a good signing by the club.

That would be of more of interest to we supporters.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:
Firestarter wrote:Obviously it would be hard as I can't speak directly for any NRL players.we got Ryan Hoffman and he has improved since he left.dont forget there's better players in aus that are not in origin that will walk into our team
Hoffman came, along with Lima & Finch, because of the salary cap debacle with Melbourne Storm.

If it weren't for this reason, I don't think they would have come.
They could have still come to play here but seeing that McGuire was coming from the same club to be Coach at Wigan, perhaps that's why they chose us or was it a request by McGuire to Lenaghan that they be a condition of his contract to strengthen the squad.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Hoffman was just back from a long time injury when we signed him.finch was putting storm over the salary cap and,as I remember I think they just wanted lima out as he was only a bench pkayer(there loss).
Defo agree that it was down to McGuire though.
In my earlier post I mentioned a few centres that I would be intersted in but somehow,I don't think you were asking me which NRL players I would like at the club lol :wink:
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:

Obviously not
Instead of making your normal swiping at Wane, why not name a NRL player who in your opinion would make a good signing by the club.

That would be of more of interest to we supporters.
How can it be sniping at Wane if WW says we cannot compete and sign NRL players yet I quoted Wane saying we could. Whose right WW or Wane :lol: