Wane not interested in NRL players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Wane not interested in NRL players

Post by cpwigan »

yokozuna wrote:I don't think he's actively courting the media so much as simply responding to questions in post match press conferences and other duties he's obliged to take part in.

He's not perfect at this side of his job,but he's not the worst either. I think Wigan fans will be more critical of him than most - as other fans will be more critical of their team's coach and what they say.
He is more than happy to offer views on numerous issues. Compared to Madge, Wane courts / enjoys the media attention but is not the best, far from it.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

cpwigan wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Well as Mr Wane likes to remind us about the great 80's and 90's. That era was built on knowing you could be replaced and indeed some would be replaced as the team became better and better, more successful. The legends would even suggest players to sign. Lest MPE forgets this is sport not normal business economics / working practices.
With all due respect, cp, your response shows one of the problems with this forum: I state a reasonable pov, but it can't be accepted as such by some. Instead it is disected, analysed, and battered to death.

I read the posts regularly but post occasionally because the whole process becomes so tiresome.

OK then, if you want to extend it ad infinitum - What exactly does "not normal business economics" mean??? That me saying I'd be motivated more by a boss who appreciated/valued me than one who publicly states he'd rather have "someone better" doesn't work cos "this is sport". Hands up all who agree with cp . . . what, just one? :lol:
:omg: So as long as you agree with MPE then everything is fine otherwise he personalises his response and complains :roll: Come on old boy, your son understood how to debate, you :conf:

So you think employment in sport is exactly the same as other businesses?
Sorry, old boy - no doubt you'll say I'm taking my bat home - but I've reached the point of zero interest in this "conversation".
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

morley pie eater wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
morley pie eater wrote: With all due respect, cp, your response shows one of the problems with this forum: I state a reasonable pov, but it can't be accepted as such by some. Instead it is disected, analysed, and battered to death.

I read the posts regularly but post occasionally because the whole process becomes so tiresome.

OK then, if you want to extend it ad infinitum - What exactly does "not normal business economics" mean??? That me saying I'd be motivated more by a boss who appreciated/valued me than one who publicly states he'd rather have "someone better" doesn't work cos "this is sport". Hands up all who agree with cp . . . what, just one? :lol:
:omg: So as long as you agree with MPE then everything is fine otherwise he personalises his response and complains :roll: Come on old boy, your son understood how to debate, you :conf:

So you think employment in sport is exactly the same as other businesses?
Sorry, old boy - no doubt you'll say I'm taking my bat home - but I've reached the point of zero interest in this "conversation".
Free world, do whatever you want.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cpwigan wrote:
yokozuna wrote:I don't think he's actively courting the media so much as simply responding to questions in post match press conferences and other duties he's obliged to take part in.

He's not perfect at this side of his job,but he's not the worst either. I think Wigan fans will be more critical of him than most - as other fans will be more critical of their team's coach and what they say.
He is more than happy to offer views on numerous issues. Compared to Madge, Wane courts / enjoys the media attention but is not the best, far from it.
If you say he courts/enjoys the attention I will go with that as you know all to well about it!! :wink: :lol:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:

If you say he courts/enjoys the attention I will go with that as you know all to well about it!! :wink: :lol:
Just an opinionated SOB TB :wink:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:Well as Mr Wane likes to remind us about the great 80's and 90's. That era was built on knowing you could be replaced and indeed some would be replaced as the team became better and better, more successful. The legends would even suggest players to sign. Lest MPE forgets this is sport not normal business economics / working practices.
From what we have seen on the thread the only person going on the great days of the eighties and nighties and before is yourself

Yes, players in those days knew they could be replaced by better players, but it was at a time when their was a abundance of far more quality players in Union where there was not the money they get now and players at their peak in the NRL who would come to our game knowing that they would still be considered for Origin and International selection.

Still waiting for you to suggest a name of any top player today in Union or the NRL who would come to our game like they would in the past.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
From what we have seen on the thread the only person going on the great days of the eighties and nighties and before is yourself

Yes, players in those days knew they could be replaced by better players, but it was at a time when their was a abundance of far more quality players in Union where there was not the money they get now and players at their peak in the NRL who would come to our game knowing that they would still be considered for Origin and International selection.

Still waiting for you to suggest a name of any top player today in Union or the NRL who would come to our game like they would in the past.
I have never said they can / will. Wane did and you agreed because Wane said it! not CPW :lol: To play along though, Todd Carney? Terry Campese? I could go on, it is also easier to discover relative unknowns even today. It was easier with winter RL to attract players either way but even now it is possible. The main selling point being to extend careers on softer English grounds, less demanding RL and the cultural experience. We are not going to return to winter RL but a rise in the cap would help. You are incredibly defeatist WW :roll: I would not like to stood next to you in a time of crisis, you would be waving your white flag before a shot had even been fired.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

I think its reasonable for Wane to come out with this statement.

He's talking off the back of some very good performances from our juniors and it so happens that those juniors have replaced/ousted our aussie imports. So why not big up the pipe dream or having 17 academy lads? In reality though I doubt this will happen.

southernpie

Post by southernpie »

AdamMac wrote:I think its reasonable for Wane to come out with this statement.

He's talking off the back of some very good performances from our juniors and it so happens that those juniors have replaced/ousted our aussie imports. So why not big up the pipe dream or having 17 academy lads?
IMO this is what is going on
AdamMac wrote:In reality though I doubt this will happen.
No it wont due to the reasons WW keeps spouting about today's financial situation.
Is it me missing the point, having a senoir moment or is it others, I am usually one to find contrary to CP however Wane does keep implying we had teams in the past(80's, 90's) that were nearly all Wiganers, CP has clearly shown this was never so, yet people want to quote today's situation at him, today's situation is irrelevant to whether past teams were all home grown or not, either they were or they weren't and they never were.
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I always get the impression that SW is referring to Wigan beating manly with a full English team.Maybe that's just me,but It's always in the back of my mind when he mentions how much he wants to beat the Aussies etc
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE