Todays game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gillysmyhero

Re: Todays game

Post by gillysmyhero »

Why did we start with Powell at 6 then after 15-20 mins take him off and bring Williams on ??? I don't understand any reasoning behind that, it's not as though Powell was injured as he came on for micky Mac. Also did anyone actually see Matty Smith run with the ball or even get tackled.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

It was as if this was a game they had to "Get out of the way" before the big game next week. Just didn't seem interested from the start. Some of the missed one up tackles were inexcusable, Josh and Sarge come to mind but they certainly weren't the only ones. Just looked to be going through the motions. Very poor indeed and an insult to those who had paid a lot of money to be there. Catalans is a notoriously difficult place to visit and to turn in a performance like that i'm afraid is totally unacceptable.

One thing I would say that seems to be being overlooked on here (understandably so after such a shocker) is Well played Catalans. I thought they were superb. They dominated up front and played some great running rugby, Had it not been against us, I would have said it was a pleasure to watch!

A lot of work to do now for next week or we could very realistically be on the wrong end of another hiding.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote:
medlocke wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: Lockers is shot.

Very decent club player. Not an international in a million years but did well for us (after a very shaky first few seasons).

Top quality club player that needs to retire. Now.
Been saying it for years yet got slagged of by everyone :roll:
all you need now is Ah Van to come and rip it up and you will be hailed!!!
Now wouldn't that put the cat amongsat the pigeons :wink:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

gillysmyhero wrote:Why did we start with Powell at 6 then after 15-20 mins take him off and bring Williams on ??? I don't understand any reasoning behind that, it's not as though Powell was injured as he came on for micky Mac. Also did anyone actually see Matty Smith run with the ball or even get tackled.
Yes
mickh

Post by mickh »

Medlocke, Wintergreen!

Just wait until Josie gets back, she will ban you from the site for going against her "Lockers" :o

On a more serious note, was more disappointed with Tomkins, being unable to tackle opposition centres, winger, mightn't have been more use as a revolving door.

Best Wigan players, Micky Mac, Bateman, Tautau

Mick
BriH

Post by BriH »

AndyNick wrote:It was as if this was a game they had to "Get out of the way" before the big game next week. Just didn't seem interested from the start. Some of the missed one up tackles were inexcusable, Josh and Sarge come to mind but they certainly weren't the only ones. Just looked to be going through the motions. Very poor indeed and an insult to those who had paid a lot of money to be there. Catalans is a notoriously difficult place to visit and to turn in a performance like that i'm afraid is totally unacceptable.

One thing I would say that seems to be being overlooked on here (understandably so after such a shocker) is Well played Catalans. I thought they were superb. They dominated up front and played some great running rugby, Had it not been against us, I would have said it was a pleasure to watch!

A lot of work to do now for next week or we could very realistically be on the wrong end of another hiding.
I said something similar - they had some quality players who ran rings round some of ours. Embarrassing to watch at times.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

After another horrible away showing I've come up with two conclusions.

1 Some players don't get on well together ,and this shows more when they travel/stay together over a certain amount of time.Wane keeps going on about comradery,which makes me think he's aware of this and trying to sort it out.Seems to me it has escalated since lockers came back( or is this coincidence?).

2 The players don't want to play for the coach(although they seem to at home???).In my many years supporting Wigan,I have noticed that players don't give 100% when there are problems in camp.Sometimes it's upstairs(like when whelan was at the helm).Sometimes when the coach is disliked(Dorahy comes to mind,even though he won everything).Albeit Bell was doing the coaching in fairness.

In both cases you always get the players who give 100%,no matter what.moose,mm and Bateman stand out.Then you get the players who can't be bothered getting in the defensive line,lazy in defence,pass anywhere and can't seem to hold onto the ball.

It's funny how all these faults mostly disappear when the team is a happy team
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
robspark

Post by robspark »

Firestarter wrote:After another horrible away showing I've come up with two conclusions.

1 Some players don't get on well together ,and this shows more when they travel/stay together over a certain amount of time.Wane keeps going on about comradery,which makes me think he's aware of this and trying to sort it out.Seems to me it has escalated since lockers came back( or is this coincidence?).

2 The players don't want to play for the coach(although they seem to at home???).In my many years supporting Wigan,I have noticed that players don't give 100% when there are problems in camp.Sometimes it's upstairs(like when whelan was at the helm).Sometimes when the coach is disliked(Dorahy comes to mind,even though he won everything).Albeit Bell was doing the coaching in fairness.

In both cases you always get the players who give 100%,no matter what.moose,mm and Bateman stand out.Then you get the players who can't be bothered getting in the defensive line,lazy in defence,pass anywhere and can't seem to hold onto the ball.

I raised the same point yesterday....i can deal with us getting beat having played well, for me yesterday was a Cas repeat with only one or two players having a go.

Some of the squad need to take a look at their desire to pull on a shirt at the moment.

How much of this down to rumours of players wanting to leave?
gruffy

Post by gruffy »

Firestarter wrote:After another horrible away showing I've come up with two conclusions.

I'll agree with you,since Lockers return it has crystalized to the point they dont seem to know each other anymore.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Can someone explain to me as to when we play badly why are the same players dropped?

Does SW have favourites?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards