Matty Smith Kicking Stats

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Matty Smith Kicking Stats

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:
bomhead wrote:I don't think Rockys a FB at all he needs to be brought into the halves and use George as a replacement for MM and drop or loan powell out and put Tierney at the back or sarge
Kind of proves the previous post.

People will move players around to accommodate a player who only real claim to anything in rugby is his academy record. Pretty sure he played at 6 for us in the past when we mass rested players.

Williams has to move drop Powell and bring in a FB to accommodate 1 player who the coaches will not risk. For whatever reasons.

What next drop Flower and give him a go as a prop. He needs a chance but not at the risk of dropping points. And for people who blame Smith remember he is not the only half in the team.
Surely the problem of moving players around to accommodate another is Williams to 6, Powell to (reserve) 9 all to keep Smith at 7?

Smith has looked half the player he was since Green left. We lost the wrong senior half-back and while I know we could not keep Green the clubs reaction of giving Smith a four year deal looks a bit desperate with hindsight to me.

Going with two young players at 7 and 6 was obviously too much but I would have liked to have seen Hampshire given some games at 6 as well as Williams rather than him be forced into the full back role which seems to have done him no good at all.

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote:
bomhead wrote:I don't think Rockys a FB at all he needs to be brought into the halves and use George as a replacement for MM and drop or loan powell out and put Tierney at the back or sarge

People will move players around to accommodate a player who only real claim to anything in rugby is his academy record. Pretty sure he played at 6 for us in the past when we mass rested players.

Williams has to move drop Powell and bring in a FB to accommodate 1 player who the coaches will not risk. For whatever reasons.

What next drop Flower and give him a go as a prop. He needs a chance but not at the risk of dropping points. And for people who blame Smith remember he is not the only half in the team.
Surely the problem of moving players around to accommodate another is Williams to 6, Powell to (reserve) 9 all to keep Smith at 7?

Smith has looked half the player he was since Green left. We lost the wrong senior half-back and while I know we could not keep Green the clubs reaction of giving Smith a four year deal looks a bit desperate with hindsight to me.

Going with two young players at 7 and 6 was obviously too much but I would have liked to have seen Hampshire given some games at 6 as well as Williams rather than him be forced into the full back role which seems to have done him no good at all.
Green was always a class act!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote:

Smith looks good when the pack dominates and that goes for virtually all no7. Only the greats like Johns, Edwards could do something on the back foot.

As for Green i do remember that not all rated him and called Smith and Green the worst combination in a long time and we would win nothing with them.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Would it be prudent to put it up as a vote on this site?

6. Williams.
7. Smith
or
6. Hampshire.
7. Williams.
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Thought this topic was about Matty Smith's Stats.
Can someone tell me how many games we have lost or drawn this season as a result of missed goal chances? And how many we are likely to lose before the end of the season?
Surely this should be something of a priority for the club to sort.

Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Might be more relevant to work out how many games we drew instead of winning and lost instead of winning because of individual errors and dubious tactics.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Stats? Whatever.

We can't bang on about how great a goal kicker Faz, Pat or Botica were and then say it doesn't matter Smith is no where near those three.

Having a top goal kicker is all about being the best you can be all across the park and if there is a "Wigan Way" that is it for me. Perfectionism.

Have we got good enough goal kicker with regards to this philosophy? No. So it needs sorting out.