Should we sell Jack Hughes to Warrington?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Owd Codger

Re: Should we sell Jack Hughes to Warrington?

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:Who could blame Hughes for wanting to leave. You have Lockers or Bateman at LF and then Farrell/ Joel or Bateman,at LF and none seem under any threat to their positions almost cast iron certainties good or bad under Wane.

Youngsters cannot wait around forever particularly in their early 20s
Exactly, cpwigan, but who in your opinion is good enough to replace the likes of Joel, Bateman, Farrell etc in the team.

I feel sure all the coaches would choose the names you mention ahead of Hughes if given the choice!

shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Who could blame Hughes for wanting to leave. You have Lockers or Bateman at LF and then Farrell/ Joel or Bateman,at LF and none seem under any threat to their positions almost cast iron certainties good or bad under Wane.

Exactly, cpwigan, but who in your opinion is good enough to replace the likes of Joel, Bateman, Farrell etc in the team.

I feel sure all the coaches would choose the names you mention ahead of Hughes if given the choice!
At the moment I'm good enough to replace Joel never mind Jack! Waney's so called philosophy is to pick players on form :lol: In reality he picks his favourites :angry: Unless we have genuine competition for places then the club will go backwards.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

I doubt it, especially if you are the size of the real Shaun!

Only joking of course!
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
sc74 wrote:
southportcdm wrote:The one positive spin I can put on this is that perhaps we are clearing some salary cap space for a top class signing but I do have my doubts. Any ideas?
ddtdff (?) has eluded to that.
Do you not think its strange that both players involved in the loan swap play/played better at Huddersfield?
No we shouldn't sell him, I believe that he has got a lot of improvement in him. We should have shipped him off to Australia for 12 months and his game would have come on leaps and bounds. I still can't understand why we haven't formed a partnership with an Australian club to allow our younger guys to develop. With all due respect it is much better to play in the Holden Cup rather than turn out for Workington.
I agree with this, I would love to see a tie up with the Broncos, Souths or Storm with players going either way. it could be a senior player coming over here for a season or a youngster but we could benefit bigtime from the experience a couple of our youngsters could get from that. I would even send one of the young coaches for a year.
curryman

Post by curryman »

I don't think we should let any of our players go to Warrington. Matty Russell and Mickey Higham spring to mind as examples of what can happen. Allowing Higham to go when he plainly had several years at the top left in him was bad enough, but how can these youngsters - ie players like Hughes - become our future if we keep losing them?

I don't think Patrick has been a success, though the blame for this may lie with the coaching rather than the player. Hughes was held in very high regard by Wigan a short while ago (as was Russell), its far too soon to write the lad off.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley, I would like to see players under pressure to play at their best and at the moment that is not the case./ Players are selected on reputation / past form.

I actually rate Joel very highly but his form post Saracens is not what it was before he went. Mind you, the same applies to others.

? to you, everybody fit would you pick Joel before Lockers, Bateman and Faz?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:Whelley, I would like to see players under pressure to play at their best and at the moment that is not the case./ Players are selected on reputation / past form.

I actually rate Joel very highly but his form post Saracens is not what it was before he went. Mind you, the same applies to others.

? to you, everybody fit would you pick Joel before Lockers, Bateman and Faz?
Sorry, cpwigan but Joel was playing well prior to being switched to centre and yes, on current form I would pick Bateman first but as Bateman is now playing centre, the question is, are Patrick, Tautai, Connor Farrell, Lloyd or a Academy player any better?

As I have said, what worries me is Bateman getting a loss of form if and when Sarginson returns from injury.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Whelley Warrior wrote:

At the moment I'm good enough to replace Joel never mind Jack! Waney's so called philosophy is to pick players on form :lol: In reality he picks his favourites :angry: Unless we have genuine competition for places then the club will go backwards.
JT was a better player when he left than he has been since he came back. A big disappointment for me. If Hughes goes does that mean we'll sign Patrick or is he on his way as well?
Seems to me we bleed players profusely and only patch up to repair!!

** Fixed your post again WW, you're posting inside the previous quote - Josie
:)
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Exactly, cpwigan, but who in your opinion is good enough to replace the likes of Joel, Bateman, Farrell etc in the team.

JT was a better player when he left than he has been since he came back. A big disappointment for me. If Hughes goes does that mean we'll sign Patrick or is he on his way as well?
Seems to me we bleed players profusely and only patch up to repair!!

** Fixed your post again WW, you're posting inside the previous quote - Josie
:)
Sorry Josie.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Josie
That's what you get for posting on a smart phone, thanks for that. I spotted it soon as I'd done it but I tried to edit to no avail!
They're not that smart after all!?! :angry:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield