Sandow

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
thegimble

Re: Sandow

Post by thegimble »

Well if they are better than what you have on your books then the answer is a resounding - YES

Why would any team sign players worse (or positions all ready well covered) than all ready within the squad lol?

Depends on the cost and where it weakens other areas. Big issue for us is No.6 atm if we say took Gidley who do we get rid. He will cost double Smith and lot more than Williams and Rocky combined. Its not a simple question of signing a better player its the cost.

Paul Gallen is on his way to SL apparently say we get him we need to lose 2 props as he will cost a premium. Same with Sandow and Gidley Wire are throwing a lot of money in an area they will need to develop again inside a year.

As for who is a superstar no half in Sl is a superstar atm. But Dobson is nowhere hear the quality of players like TL, Deacs, Walsh, Green, Brough, Briers etc. Only real great half is Carney and he is here because he is toxic news in the NRL atm.

I agree with getting a young player in and developing him Gelling at last seems to be working out. But we do not need a baggage player with issues and an over the hill who takes a chunk of the cap. We did this and won sod all for close to a decade. Wire will become the Wigan of the past next year on. Salford has shown how you can get it really wrong.

We hear of this great Leeds youth system but how many actually make it looking at their side atm how many of their so called youth players from the last 3-4 years make the side. They lose 2-3 players next year and they will start to go into transition time. Here is where we do not need to get a player with baggage we have players who come through and make the grade. We are not Widnes who take anything they can get or any-other side in SL.

I do not give a .... about other clubs who spend a chunk of the cap on players who are not of the standard of Wigan. Hull KR standards are a lot lower than ours that's where a Dobson can shine. 2 decent games a month Superstar. 1 bad game for us and its get rid time.

Only 2 players in the last transfer window would strengthen us and that is Cuthbertson and Carney and both would cost too much on the cap unless we were willing to let 3-4 players go. If we did not have a cap and we could afford it then i would have them at a drop of the hat. Not seen enough of Campese to say if he is that good.

In an ideal world we would have the Cooper Cronk, Slaters etc in SL but what we get are getting in the most atm are players not needed by the NRL. If we aim to get to that level then we do not need them as well.

Wold love to see a Trent Barrett player or a Stacy Jones quality in SL but that will only happen if we develop them and not take rejects in
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

thegimble wrote:Well if they are better than what you have on your books then the answer is a resounding - YES

Why would any team sign players worse (or positions all ready well covered) than all ready within the squad lol?

Depends on the cost and where it weakens other areas. Big issue for us is No.6 atm if we say took Gidley who do we get rid. He will cost double Smith and lot more than Williams and Rocky combined. Its not a simple question of signing a better player its the cost.

Paul Gallen is on his way to SL apparently say we get him we need to lose 2 props as he will cost a premium. Same with Sandow and Gidley Wire are throwing a lot of money in an area they will need to develop again inside a year.

As for who is a superstar no half in Sl is a superstar atm. But Dobson is nowhere hear the quality of players like TL, Deacs, Walsh, Green, Brough, Briers etc. Only real great half is Carney and he is here because he is toxic news in the NRL atm.

I agree with getting a young player in and developing him Gelling at last seems to be working out. But we do not need a baggage player with issues and an over the hill who takes a chunk of the cap. We did this and won sod all for close to a decade. Wire will become the Wigan of the past next year on. Salford has shown how you can get it really wrong.

We hear of this great Leeds youth system but how many actually make it looking at their side atm how many of their so called youth players from the last 3-4 years make the side. They lose 2-3 players next year and they will start to go into transition time. Here is where we do not need to get a player with baggage we have players who come through and make the grade. We are not Widnes who take anything they can get or any-other side in SL.

I do not give a .... about other clubs who spend a chunk of the cap on players who are not of the standard of Wigan. Hull KR standards are a lot lower than ours that's where a Dobson can shine. 2 decent games a month Superstar. 1 bad game for us and its get rid time.

Only 2 players in the last transfer window would strengthen us and that is Cuthbertson and Carney and both would cost too much on the cap unless we were willing to let 3-4 players go. If we did not have a cap and we could afford it then i would have them at a drop of the hat. Not seen enough of Campese to say if he is that good.

In an ideal world we would have the Cooper Cronk, Slaters etc in SL but what we get are getting in the most atm are players not needed by the NRL. If we aim to get to that level then we do not need them as well.

Wold love to see a Trent Barrett player or a Stacy Jones quality in SL but that will only happen if we develop them and not take rejects in
Superb post, last night in the Leeds v Saints game there were eleven overseas players.Five for Saints and six for Leeds with their incredible academy!!! Have look at the ex-academy players in that team, Burrow, McGuire, Sinfield, JJB are well into their thirties and Ablett is almost that age. In fact only Watkins is under the age of 25 from their remaining three ex academy players.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Long may signings like Sandow keep rolling into SL no matter what part of the season it is.

I want to see top quality in our game that will boost the profile of the game and put bums on seats.

If a player like Shaun Johnson was available for a short term contract for the 8s & play offs i wouldnt hesitate to bring him in.

So you think that it is right that players from down under, many of whom are hardly household names and cannot command a regular place in a NRL team are welcome, even if it is only to gain a advantage over other clubs at the business end of the season in the form of the Super 8's.

And what makes anyone think that any Star player like Shaun Johnson would being coming over here on a short term contract when the Star players are committed to their permanent contract by their clubs in the NRL.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:WW, read my post carefully with regards to shaun johnson the word WAS is used so the likelyhood of that ever happening is zero.

However the rules as they stand allow for players to be brought in and if quality NRL players are available then i endorse clubs going out and getting them especially if the NRL club is not in contention for the top 8 in there competition.

As for Sandow he is an excellent player and players of his ilk should be actively pursued to come into SL and help turn this drab dreary comp into something the fans want.

I would of thought even you would be aware of sandow and his credentials as he is hardly unknown
No, I have never heard of him and neither I suspect have the majority of supporters, including most at Warrington.

The minority who watch NRL games excepted of course!

And if our competition is 'drab and dreary' as you suggest, I don't think he will make a big difference to it, seeing that is not as well known like Greg, Billy or Jonathan etc.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:WW, read my post carefully with regards to shaun johnson the word WAS is used so the likelyhood of that ever happening is zero.

However the rules as they stand allow for players to be brought in and if quality NRL players are available then i endorse clubs going out and getting them especially if the NRL club is not in contention for the top 8 in there competition.

As for Sandow he is an excellent player and players of his ilk should be actively pursued to come into SL and help turn this drab dreary comp into something the fans want.

I would of thought even you would be aware of sandow and his credentials as he is hardly unknown
No, I have never heard of him and neither I suspect have the majority of supporters, including most at Warrington.

The minority who watch NRL games excepted of course!

And if our competition is 'drab and dreary' as you suggest, I don't think he will make a big difference to it, seeing that is not as well known like Greg, Billy or Jonathan etc.
With respect i would suggest you research the players before using a blanket comment "they are not well known"

Sandow is a very high profile player from the NRL who is a maverick

To compare today's players against Greg & Billy is comparing apples & pears and not really relevant however referring back to those players does seemingly make you long for those type of players to light up SL which the game is sadly lacking
The Greg and Billy I was on about play in the NRL and are well known.

And the majority of supporters do not spend time delving into internet websites and watching NRL games, so like myself many of the lesser known players like Sandow are less well known.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

No straw damn us wrote:
thegimble wrote:Well if they are better than what you have on your books then the answer is a resounding - YES

Superb post, last night in the Leeds v Saints game there were eleven overseas players.Five for Saints and six for Leeds with their incredible academy!!! Have look at the ex-academy players in that team, Burrow, McGuire, Sinfield, JJB are well into their thirties and Ablett is almost that age. In fact only Watkins is under the age of 25 from their remaining three ex academy players.
.....and yet according to some our youth policy is failing!! :lol:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:
The Greg and Billy I was on about play in the NRL and are well known.
OK Slater and Inglis
And the majority of supporters do not spend time delving into internet websites and watching NRL games, so like myself many of the lesser known players like Sandow are less well known.
Majority ?? There you are again making sweeping statements if you read this thread alone,people know who Sandow is and what he can do even the un-initiated would know him
Yes. the majority who only know the players from the NRL who participate in International Competitions and world Club Challenge games, especially when they play here.

Not everyone has a subscription to Premier.

southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:
Majority ?? There you are again making sweeping statements if you read this thread alone,people know who Sandow is and what he can do even the un-initiated would know him
Yes. the majority who only know the players from the NRL who participate in International Competitions and world Club Challenge games, especially when they play here.

So let me get this straight because an NRL player hasn't been seen in this country (by Whelley and his silent majority) playing internationals or World Club Challenges he must be a lesser player. Therefore that must mean that every average, good or better player in the Super League must be of a better standard than said NRL player because Whelley and co have heard or seen them :doz: That is the SL player I mean
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

southernpie wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote: Majority ?? There you are again making sweeping statements if you read this thread alone,people know who Sandow is and what he can do even the un-initiated would know him

So let me get this straight because an NRL player hasn't been seen in this country (by Whelley and his silent majority) playing internationals or World Club Challenges he must be a lesser player. Therefore that must mean that every average, good or better player in the Super League must be of a better standard than said NRL player because Whelley and co have heard or seen them :doz: That is the SL player I mean
Many of those who have come here from down under have indeed been no better than our own players and over the years we have had a few at Wigan.

Its getting like football where anyone with foreign name or in the case of rugby, players from down under must be a outstanding player and far better than anything we produce.

Our game is littered with players from down under who in many cases are indeed no better than ours.

Jacob Miller being a case in point. Came to Hull with a 'glowing reputation' and has now ended up doing nothing at Wakefield Trinity.

On another thread, supporters have been expressing concern at the number of players from down at some clubs.

How can we expect to produce a better England team when we have so many second best players from down under in the key positions at our clubs and by second class, I don't mean players like Burns, Carney, Cuthberson, Monaghan, Simms etc who are of real quality and enhance a squad with their experience.
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

There you go contradicting yourself again, out of the players you just listed only Carney and Joel Monaghan would fill YOUR criteria of being known over here for playing Club or full internationals before coming to SL and incidently both came with unsavoury off field reputations.
I do not have SKY or Premier so have to live stream my rugby so very rarely see NRL (too early in the morning doing other things) But I had heard of Sandow before he was linked with SL
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#