London game confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior

Re: London game confirmed

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Are you going Whelley?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

If Wigan and the RFL are so intent on making a name for RL in London and the south then why don't they just hold the magic weekend at a London venue?

Because i think they know it would fail so instead are quite happy to see Wigan used as the guinea pig in a game that will attract no more than 3000 people. Idiotic idea IMO. We are sponsored by Coral bookmakers, we are the best well known name in the history of the sport and we have bequeathing a much needed and well deserved home game for the privilege. Should we have not bothered beating Widnes and Hull in out last couple of games then? The people who paid to go and see those games effectively just paid to go and watch two friendly games as it's clear the club weren't all that bothered about where they finished in the league as long as this debacle could go ahead.
gruffy

Post by gruffy »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Amazing how many of those who condemned the staging of the game at Millwall are now actually going and not staying away on principle like many others.
I don't think the concept will work as I've said many times but I'm sorry my old mam would be spinning in her grave if I turned down a free trip,you don't look a gift horse in the mouth its that simple IL won't do it again will he?.

I'll say again this is in a few years be a footnote we tell our kids about as I just don't see it ever taking off,so as a curio game it's a winwin either way.

Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

If it only achieves one or two "blue chip" sponsors that get on board, via their connections in the City with Business Club, etc. then financially it will be worth it in the long run.
Remember over the last season or so, at least 2 of the club's sponsors (either major or minor) has gone bust, and in the event leaving the club short with the finances.
IL no doubt fed up with this, so feels it to be worthwhile going forward.
On the playing side, Catalan in 8th spot, will most likely be out of the running, and in a meaningless match (for them) and leave players behind who've been carrying knocks. Could be a very understrength side. Plus Wane, for all the publicity and criticism behind the move, will have the players up for this one, like a cup final !
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Why dont they just hold the magic weekend at wembley or another london ground. To me thats problem solved. Leg-end can stop taking our home games down there, and all teams go down to show case.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Watch Lenagans latest interview on Wigan t.v. He explains, again, the reasons for taking the game to London and why Millwall was chosen as the venue.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Not got wigan tv, please can you quote more or less what his comments are, Nsdu, and for anyone else - thanks ?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Are you going Whelley?
Yes, are you?
BriH

Post by BriH »

I think I'm now into the "wait and see" camp!
Be interesting what IL says after the game: his analysis that is and his reasoning.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:Are you going Whelley?
Yes, are you?
No, summat else on but wouldn't go on principle.
Got my ticket though!!
It's going to a good cause. :D :wink:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield