Ian Lenagan makes me laugh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Woody1989

Re: Ian Lenagan makes me laugh

Post by Woody1989 »

ddtftf wrote:Mr Lenagan do not say that we need to raise our profile when our governing body portrays us as second class game.
I'm not sure what your point is here, surely the RFL portraying the game poorly is exactly why people like Lenagan should be speaking out?
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Yes I agree but why did he not say one of the reasons is the very fact that we are now here sat in the back room of a pub and not in a studio promoting the game.

If you watch the way the NRL promote the game it is amazing, and do not tell me it is down to money, because they did the promoting to get the game more value for the TV audience & now Australian TV are paying a fortune to broadcast the 6 game a week on. You have to make your product more valuable before and not after.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

ddtftf wrote:Yes I agree but why did he not say one of the reasons is the very fact that we are now here sat in the back room of a pub and not in a studio promoting the game.

If you watch the way the NRL promote the game it is amazing, and do not tell me it is down to money, because they did the promoting to get the game more value for the TV audience & now Australian TV are paying a fortune to broadcast the 6 game a week on. You have to make your product more valuable before and not after.
But backchat is a Premier Sports programme and is on a VERY limited budget.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

No straw damn us wrote:
ddtftf wrote:Yes I agree but why did he not say one of the reasons is the very fact that we are now here sat in the back room of a pub and not in a studio promoting the game.

Was it actually in a pub or just a studio decked out to make it look that way? It's meant to be a few blokes having a chat about rugby. A pub would make an ideal background setting!
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

So Lennagan was promoting the game and people complain he isn't promoting it in a fancy hoo raa studio. The bottom line is he is promoting the game, he doesn't have to. I applaud him and his efforts. He's right, we do need a higher profile for our game but it is not solely his responsibility. He goes above most other clubs chairmens efforts.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Kittwazzer wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:

Was it actually in a pub or just a studio decked out to make it look that way? It's meant to be a few blokes having a chat about rugby. A pub would make an ideal background setting!
Do you honestly believe that the RU pundits would think its a great idea and do the same, no they would just think it is typical of flat cap RL fans from down North.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Its bigger and better in Australia because Football is not on the same scale as it is in our country!

No matter how much we promote the game and how much money we get in a TV contract, it will never be like in Australia where it is all about Rugby, Cricket and Aussie Rules in field sports.
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

Kittwazzer wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:

Its recorded at the arc in in headingley leeds and its a real pub and apparently a very good 1
IN WANE WE TRUST
CasWigan

Post by CasWigan »

It was a guy called Peter Deakin that masterminded the Bradford revival in 1995.
He started the pre match entertainment program and Bull-mania and along with the teams success on the pitch Bradfords crowds peaked at 15000.
It was not long before the RFU spotted the good work Peter was doing at the Bulls and Sarecens RU attracted him to Watford where he worked the same miracle.
Sale RU induced him back north in early 2000 and he stared the same revival there.
Sadly at an early age Peter fell ill with cancer and he died in 2003.
See link

**https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Deakin

**Fixed your link & date of death - Josie :)
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Talking to John Oaks from Micron today and he said that due to the sky cutbacks we are able to use the pub and café for free to air the programs, and the big cutbacks are due to the amount sky paid to football to fight off competition to show the premier games. :sly: