Sargenson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Sargenson

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

doc wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote:Also confirmed that taking up 3rd year of his contract but likely to move onto a new challenge after that.
He's already signed a contract elsewhere for 2017. We need to move heaven and earth during the next 12 months to sign Percival from Saints and pair him up in the centres with Gildart.
We already have Gells signed up for another 4 yrs (presumably after the club were informed that Sarg was moving elsewhere). Gildart is looking good and we have Higginson and Forsyth coming through in the U19s. Coupled with Joel and Bateman as back up I don't think we need any new signings or we risk losing some good prospects.
We need genuine competition for places, Joel and Bateman should be nowhere near the centres unless we have an injury crisis. I have said before that Higgy looks a class act and Forsyth has impressed since moving from Saints but they are still learning and are a long way off first team rugby.

Gildart has been exceptional in the last two matches but it is unfair to ask him to produce that level of performance for a whole season. Before Thornley decided to leave you can bet the club's plan was to send Oliver to Workington for a large portion of next season with him playing the odd game in Wigan's first team.

That leaves us with Sarginson and Gelling as 'experienced' centres. Both have experienced lengthy periods on the side lines and a repeat would leave us seriously exposed. Both are still learning their trade and at the moment I don't think that either posses the quality that we should be looking for.

We need to be in the market for an experienced player whilst we are nurturing our other centres. Alternatively, we should offer Saints a tidy sum for Percival, look to pair him with Gildart in two years time and create the best centre partnership in SL.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

doc wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: He's already signed a contract elsewhere for 2017. We need to move heaven and earth during the next 12 months to sign Percival from Saints and pair him up in the centres with Gildart.
We already have Gells signed up for another 4 yrs (presumably after the club were informed that Sarg was moving elsewhere). Gildart is looking good and we have Higginson and Forsyth coming through in the U19s. Coupled with Joel and Bateman as back up I don't think we need any new signings or we risk losing some good prospects.
We need genuine competition for places, Joel and Bateman should be nowhere near the centres unless we have an injury crisis. I have said before that Higgy looks a class act and Forsyth has impressed since moving from Saints but they are still learning and are a long way off first team rugby.

Gildart has been exceptional in the last two matches but it is unfair to ask him to produce that level of performance for a whole season. Before Thornley decided to leave you can bet the club's plan was to send Oliver to Workington for a large portion of next season with him playing the odd game in Wigan's first team.

That leaves us with Sarginson and Gelling as 'experienced' centres. Both have experienced lengthy periods on the side lines and a repeat would leave us seriously exposed. Both are still learning their trade and at the moment I don't think that either posses the quality that we should be looking for.

We need to be in the market for an experienced player whilst we are nurturing our other centres. Alternatively, we should offer Saints a tidy sum for Percival, look to pair him with Gildart in two years time and create the best centre partnership in SL.
I think everybody is getting a little carried away with Gildart. Yes in the last two games he has been solid and stood in well, but we have dominated the last two games with ease. Don't get me wrong, at 19 hes done well but to say he has been exeptional and we can create the best partnership at centre with him is a little premature. Its been going on with Hampshire for some time and now we are moving on to Gildart.

Wigan are not going to sign anybody for centre. Next year we have Gelling, Sarginson and Gildart, which is pretty strong to me. The year after I assume it will be Gelling and Gildart.

I cannot see us signing another next year, it isn't Wane esque or the Wigan way anymore.

If Gildart doesn't progress next year and take his chances we may sign one for 2017, but next year I cannot see it.

Do not get me wrong, I would love us to sign a top class centre, but it isn't going to happen. I also do not think that Gelling to 2nd row is going to happen either. Just because he is a big centre and makes some good yards does not mean he can play 2nd row,

Does he have the defensive ability, the fitness, the intelligence to run the lines of Farrell for example. I am happy with him at centre and hoping he will grow and improve year on year.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

nathan_rugby wrote:
doc wrote: We already have Gells signed up for another 4 yrs (presumably after the club were informed that Sarg was moving elsewhere). Gildart is looking good and we have Higginson and Forsyth coming through in the U19s. Coupled with Joel and Bateman as back up I don't think we need any new signings or we risk losing some good prospects.

I think everybody is getting a little carried away with Gildart. Yes in the last two games he has been solid and stood in well, but we have dominated the last two games with ease. Don't get me wrong, at 19 hes done well but to say he has been exeptional and we can create the best partnership at centre with him is a little premature. Its been going on with Hampshire for some time and now we are moving on to Gildart.

Wigan are not going to sign anybody for centre. Next year we have Gelling, Sarginson and Gildart, which is pretty strong to me. The year after I assume it will be Gelling and Gildart.

I cannot see us signing another next year, it isn't Wane esque or the Wigan way anymore.

If Gildart doesn't progress next year and take his chances we may sign one for 2017, but next year I cannot see it.

Do not get me wrong, I would love us to sign a top class centre, but it isn't going to happen. I also do not think that Gelling to 2nd row is going to happen either. Just because he is a big centre and makes some good yards does not mean he can play 2nd row,

Does he have the defensive ability, the fitness, the intelligence to run the lines of Farrell for example. I am happy with him at centre and hoping he will grow and improve year on year.
I am a tad confused Nathan, you say that everyone is getting carried away with Gildart which suggests that we shouldn't be counting on him next year given he is only 19 and then you go on to say that he will be one of our main centres next year! You then expect him to have a permanent position in 2017 with Gelling being his partner but without any back-up.

I have said previously that Wigan's plan was to send Gildart out on loan whilst using Thornley as cover but that plan has not come to fruition because the club failed to secure Thornley's services, it therefore makes sense to me to stick with the original plan and recruit another player to allow Gildart to continue his rugby education.

Gildart like Hampshire has the pedigree to become a top player, much will come down to how the club manage and develop them, at present I don't think that we have done a good job with Hampshire and therefore his progress has stalled. Percival, in my view, will make a top class centre and a club of Wigan's stature should be looking to recruit players better than we have currently got. I like Gelling as a person and his attitude on the pitch but at present he simply hasn't got the skill set to become a good centre, Sarginson won't be around in 2017 so we need to make plans.

I do agree that the club are unlikely to recruit a replacement for Thornley but I believe that may be a mistake. We will certainly need to recruit in 2017 otherwise we run the risk of having to cover the centre berths with forwards if we don't. Higginson and Forsyth are decent prospects but they are way behind Gildart in terms of development and we can't assume that either will be ready to step up in 2017. We need an old head to school our youngsters in the art of centre play.

Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

We have done our business for 2016, signing Sam. I think if the rumours are true about Sarg leaving at the end of 2016, Gildart will play more games than him next year rather than going out on loan and we will bring in another project signing to cover. I still think the biggest mistake was not going all out to sign Joel Moon when he avaibale and wanted out of Salford.

As for Hampshire I agree that we have not managed him correctly, i think we have set him back a good season or two playing him a fullback, and that spell where he couldnt catch a cold must have knocked his confidence big time. We was doing the same thing with Williams for a time playing him at hooker. I am all for playing the kids but in the right positions. Just hope we sign Ryan up on a long term deal as i would hate to see him play elsewhere.

I personally dont know what the all the fuss is about with Percival,i just dont rate him. He's a decent centre but i think thats all he will be. Gives away tons of pens, mainly for being constantly offside and got warned in the Huddersfield game. Potential is there else he wouldnt be starting for Saints, but becoming a world class centre i am not so sure.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

In truth ive seen little from Sarg that makes me think he is anything more than average.

He has really good footwork, thats about it - he defense is poor, as is his passing.

I think we have the worst centres in the top 8
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

nathan_rugby wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: We need genuine competition for places, Joel and Bateman should be nowhere near the centres unless we have an injury crisis. I have said before that Higgy looks a class act and Forsyth has impressed since moving from Saints but they are still learning and are a long way off first team rugby.

I am a tad confused Nathan, you say that everyone is getting carried away with Gildart which suggests that we shouldn't be counting on him next year given he is only 19 and then you go on to say that he will be one of our main centres next year! You then expect him to have a permanent position in 2017 with Gelling being his partner but without any back-up.

I have said previously that Wigan's plan was to send Gildart out on loan whilst using Thornley as cover but that plan has not come to fruition because the club failed to secure Thornley's services, it therefore makes sense to me to stick with the original plan and recruit another player to allow Gildart to continue his rugby education.

Gildart like Hampshire has the pedigree to become a top player, much will come down to how the club manage and develop them, at present I don't think that we have done a good job with Hampshire and therefore his progress has stalled. Percival, in my view, will make a top class centre and a club of Wigan's stature should be looking to recruit players better than we have currently got. I like Gelling as a person and his attitude on the pitch but at present he simply hasn't got the skill set to become a good centre, Sarginson won't be around in 2017 so we need to make plans.

I do agree that the club are unlikely to recruit a replacement for Thornley but I believe that may be a mistake. We will certainly need to recruit in 2017 otherwise we run the risk of having to cover the centre berths with forwards if we don't. Higginson and Forsyth are decent prospects but they are way behind Gildart in terms of development and we can't assume that either will be ready to step up in 2017. We need an old head to school our youngsters in the art of centre play.
I never said that was what I wanted or whether I thought it was right. I simply think the plan will be for Gildart and Gelling to be our starting centres in 2017 and that Gildart will be 3rd choice next year.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

nathan_rugby wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote: I think everybody is getting a little carried away with Gildart. Yes in the last two games he has been solid and stood in well, but we have dominated the last two games with ease. Don't get me wrong, at 19 hes done well but to say he has been exeptional and we can create the best partnership at centre with him is a little premature. Its been going on with Hampshire for some time and now we are moving on to Gildart.

I never said that was what I wanted or whether I thought it was right. I simply think the plan will be for Gildart and Gelling to be our starting centres in 2017 and that Gildart will be 3rd choice next year.
Ok. That is probably the plan for 2017 but I think it is risky. I also believe that the club will be making a mistake if they don't try and improve the squad.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Actually for me the biggest strength of Gildart is a very rounded complete game. Something that many fans have seen from the day he signed at academy level. He seems a very level headed and balanced individual.

The question for me has never been will he make it rather when will he break through and when he does will it be in his and the clubs best interests long term.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

As long as Gelling and Sarginson are at the club, Gildart will be back up at Centre.

The problem lies more with Bateman, Tomkins, Farrell in contention for the Second Row positions.

All depends on the future of O'Loughlin in my opinion.
markill

Post by markill »

Whelley Warrior wrote:As long as Gelling and Sarginson are at the club, Gildart will be back up at Centre.

The problem lies more with Bateman, Tomkins, Farrell in contention for the Second Row positions.

All depends on the future of O'Loughlin in my opinion.
I don't understand how having three international class players for the back row is a problem? Especially as the fourth international quality player you mention is close to the end of his career and one of the others is close to the start of theirs.

More of a problem is the talented and entertaining yet not very consistent or experienced centre options surely? II am a big fan of all three of those centres, but none are the finished article. I tend to think Gildart will get chosen ahead of Sarginson next year, who might become a utility back up. Of course, when playing the selection game people ignore injuries sometimes. We will get them and we need our squad to be capable of covering for them. It has been this year in my opinion.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod