Wane to go

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
WiganWoman1968

Re: Wane to go

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

w.thomas wrote:I'm not wanes biggest fan but I think it's harsh to call for his head after the GF. The thing that worries me though is the fact we need players in certain positions and a kicker and instead he buys players like Isa and says he's gonna play him in positions we don't need him to play in. We seem to have an obsession with buying players we don't need and playing them out of position! Also Smith deserves to go not just because of the GF he's been poor all season and been out played by a young lad whos only just made the 1st team! Smith should be taking control! Big TC kicking the ball on the last! Shocking
I agree re. Smith. He just looked confused last night. Hence why I thought it was his wife who had given birth!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I an see that the pressure on match officials was huge with the emotion of the Leeds retirements BUT at the end of the day WE LOST IT OURSELVES;

Simple examples;

We are 6-0 up and Matty Smith does not catch the kick off. Blew our field position, possession and our lead and 6 points No match officials can be blamed for that.

Micky Mac going for the try line and another 6 pointer when the ball catches a 'lucky knee and Mac knocks on.

Those were in the first 20, without our bad play and bad luck we could have been 12-0 after 20 minutes.

No pressure on officials / no fixing could influence that.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wane has to take responsibility for the kicking game and that eventually cost us greatly yesterday. Smith is as someone said a controller and Williams is very much off the cuff take on the line but no kicking game.

Neither player week in week out give a good kicking game or has any real distance to get us out of trouble. Once Leeds stopped us getting over our half they knew they would be starting their next set from 20-30 meters out at worst. That fault has got to lie with Wane or IL if it was pointed out to him that we were short in that area. Ironically our kicking improved the last month as Micky Mac did a bit and turned round sides.

Our best goal kicker is leaving us so what happens next season.

So we are heading into next season with the same combination who can not put in a decent kick to turn sides round on a regular basis.

Tbh if it was me in charge of the side I would try Sam and Williams at half's and look for a full back. Getting Ratchford now would be a very good move.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Really can't see what getting rid of Wane would achieve.

Who would you replace him with that is available and would improve the coaching department?

He knows the club inside out and the players are loyal to him, especially those brought up through the academy.

It's the squad that needs to be tinkered with to transform us from nearly men to winners, most clubs would be satisfied with consistent Grand Final appearances but we're Wigan and want to win not compete.

For me, I stick with my point that last nights game was so close that the decision to take 2 when Leeds were clearly on the rack was the turning point.

Did that decision come from the stand or on the field?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:I an see that the pressure on match officials was huge with the emotion of the Leeds retirements BUT at the end of the day WE LOST IT OURSELVES;

Simple examples;

We are 6-0 up and Matty Smith does not catch the kick off. Blew our field position, possession and our lead and 6 points No match officials can be blamed for that.

Micky Mac going for the try line and another 6 pointer when the ball catches a 'lucky knee and Mac knocks on.

Those were in the first 20, without our bad play and bad luck we could have been 12-0 after 20 minutes.

No one mentions the knock-ons that were missed by us either. At least 2 we got away with near their line.

That game was not fixed we only scored 3 tries and never looked apart from the 15 minutes spell in the second half look like scoring more. WE lost the game and no matter who we want to blame outside the club will only let players and coaches off the hook.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I totally agree 100% re the 2 pointer but who took that decisions? Wane or Lockers?

Alternative coaches? No idea who but then again I had never heard of Madge before he was announced.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

thegimble wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I an see that the pressure on match officials was huge with the emotion of the Leeds retirements BUT at the end of the day WE LOST IT OURSELVES;

Simple examples;

No one mentions the knock-ons that were missed by us either. At least 2 we got away with near their line.

That game was not fixed we only scored 3 tries and never looked apart from the 15 minutes spell in the second half look like scoring more. WE lost the game and no matter who we want to blame outside the club will only let players and coaches off the hook.
Again, I quite agree about fixing and our own errors but as someone adrift in the south who spends his time telling friends to ignore the rubbish that is temporarily on television and that League is the proper game - how do I explain the Silverwood/Bentham refereeing in the earlier Leeds match and the Thaler/Bentham refereeing last night to them when my own eyes tell me that something is very, very wrong indeed?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

thegimble wrote:

Simple examples;

I only looked at the first 20 minutes mate but I totally agree with your opinion. Great teams overcome bad or bent officials.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:I totally agree 100% re the 2 pointer but who took that decisions? Wane or Lockers?

Alternative coaches? No idea who but then again I had never heard of Madge before he was announced.
I would keep Wane and he has deserved another season for me. But Madge could be available during next season if it goes belly up at South's and if we struggle or improve then we need to move the moment he is fired.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Simple a good scrum half we win that game, Micky Mac on for 80 and either a real good starting prop or impact off the bench we win.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!