Credit Where Credit Is Due

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Credit Where Credit Is Due

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I am not the biggest fan of Leeds but they found a way to win when they were down and out. All those tough hours on the training ground, all those sacrifices, the broken bodies and the determination to get over the line. When in dire need they stuck to their processes, they created pressure, took their chances and held tightly on to their mate luck. Certain players stood up, took responsibility, made things happen. They had go to men when they slumped to their knees. We had plenty of opportunities but certain players went hiding when the going got tough. There can't be any sentiment in sport, mediocrity isn't acceptable and only the ruthless can be victorious. IFL, Rads and Waney have got a few things to put right if we are to return to the pinnacle of the sport. The hard work starts on Monday!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Fujiman

Re: Credit Where Credit Is Due

Post by Fujiman »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:I am not the biggest fan of Leeds but they found a way to win when they were down and out. All those tough hours on the training ground, all those sacrifices, the broken bodies and the determination to get over the line. When in dire need they stuck to their processes, they created pressure, took their chances and held tightly on to their mate luck. Certain players stood up, took responsibility, made things happen. They had go to men when they slumped to their knees. We had plenty of opportunities but certain players went hiding when the going got tough. There can't be any sentiment in sport, mediocrity isn't acceptable and only the ruthless can be victorious. IFL, Rads and Waney have got a few things to put right if we are to return to the pinnacle of the sport. The hard work starts on Monday!
Excellent post well put
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

What do Leeds do different than they back each other up and play off the cuff rugby not stereotyped like us with no plan B. We cant break the line from inside the opponents 25 we have no play maker or line breaker like Sinfield who is not the best player in SL but knows how to break the opposition.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

jaws1 wrote:What do Leeds do different than they back each other up and play off the cuff rugby not stereotyped like us with no plan B. We cant break the line from inside the opponents 25 we have no play maker or line breaker like Sinfield who is not the best player in SL but knows how to break the opposition.
I guess leeds make heavier use of the offloading game than us. We rely on structured shift plays up until the second half of this year when we seemed to become much more direct, possibly at the cost of our structure. Last tqckle plays in the opponents 20 are extremely improtant and we were very poor at setting up and executing a good option in the GF. IMO its unrealistic to expect to break he line regularly from this position because the defence have an advantage of starting closer to the attack when they get backed up to their own line. Thats why kick plays are so important and ours were pretty poor. Smith and williams had to take control on the 5th and they didn't. Williams killed a lot of structured play with individual efforts at the wrong time. And Smith never seemed in the right place on the 5th tackle to put in a sensible kick.

That was dumb, but how do we fix it? There has to be some evidence that we can ealry next season otherwise I think we need to make personel changes. Either coach or playmakers.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Get the half backs to play better by perhaps bringing in a former half back as assistant coach.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Get the half backs to play better by perhaps bringing in a former half back as assistant coach.
That's what we had in Harris and Deakin.

OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

simple thing is which NO one can change we lost the game for what ever reason or resaons ( I think we all have our feelings on why we lost )

So boys and girls it is onwards and up wards - i think we have a talented bunch of youngsters in the club that can be brought along the right way but we need a good half back to play along side and bring young George on

Remember forwads lay the foundation for the game generally it is the backs that win them for you in most cases

WIGAN till i die
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

OAMJSS wrote:simple thing is which NO one can change we lost the game for what ever reason or resaons ( I think we all have our feelings on why we lost )

So boys and girls it is onwards and up wards - i think we ahve a talented bunch of youngsters in the club that can be brought along the right way but we need a good half back to play along side and bring young George on

Remember forwads lay the foundation for the game generally it is the backs that win them for you in most cases

WIGAN till i die
Who can bring those talented young backs on OAMJSS.
Our back line appeared to be struggling for ideas to break tough defenses down this season.
You can have all the best talented youngsters in the world but if they're devoid of ideas through lack of affective coaching it's a waste of time.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The main thing Leeds do better than us is strike the correct balance between youth and experience. They also seem to retain the players they want to retain with little speculation about who is next to leave. Contrast Hall with Budgie.

If you do that you can play more off the cuff stuff or offload more because you will have the confidence a) do it in the first place b) to expect these things to come off and c) if they don't not to panic.

Once the balance is wrong in this regard you almost end up sticking to game plans that aren't working because you don't have the confidence to even dare to try anything different.

Trent Barrett threw Noble's game plan out of the window more than once but not only did he have the experience to do it he also had some players who could respond accordingly.

We have suffered with a player drain over recent years which unsettled the squad but it is also our own fault for not planning ahead when we knew full well several senior players were leaving.

One of the worst moves in this regard was our choice to go with Thornley, Sarge and Gelling as centres with Thornley injured and the other two unproven rookies.

I said it was a bad idea before the season started and so it proved because Gelling lost his place to Gildart and there would have been plenty of debate about moving Bateman from the other slot if Sarge had got fit.

I don't know why we do this. We seem to believe our own propaganda about some of the young inexperienced players we have. The is not the Eagle Comic where some young BMX riding nutcase gets to lead Wigan to victory because he is a bit of a character. It's all far more hard headed than that.

Mind you all that said their "offloading game" is helped hugely by officials blindness to the forward pass.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The credit Leeds deserve is changing how they play. Prior to 2015, Leeds were quite conservative in approach. In 2015, they changed to an offload style based on who they signed and their strengths.

Leeds made plenty mistakes in the GF; we just made more.