The right selections?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

The right selections?

Post by cpwigan »

I would have gone with the team selected but in hindsight was it a good or bad call. The more I think we could have played Lockers as a half back and Bateman at loose forward with Gels at right centre.
nathan_rugby

Re: The right selections?

Post by nathan_rugby »

cpwigan wrote:I would have gone with the team selected but in hindsight was it a good or bad call. The more I think we could have played Lockers as a half back and Bateman at loose forward with Gels at right centre.
And drop who before the game?

Too big of a call to make for the final.

The only change that could really be justified was Gelling in to centre as he has the ability to win a match and can take the ball up well.

Drop Powell and bring an extra forward on the bench which was the tactic we used to twice beat Leeds this year.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Drop Smith and I agree it would be a huge call but maybe the right one ? The bench was a bit lacking in impact IMO.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Lockers at halfback has never worked in the past and we didn't play that way at any point in the season. So it would seem to me that making those moves is overthinking things somewhat?

I think Gelling was never going to play again this year after his Saints offload and some are even saying he shouldn't have played in that match either.

Overall, I think sticking to a winning team was the right thing to do. I haven't really seen any evidence that shuffling personel around resulted in a solution to any of our fundamental problems throughout the year. Our defence is good and if we make break and finish them then we win. But if the opposition's defense is also good then we struggle to win tight games sometimes.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
menpond

Post by menpond »

Sticking with awinning team.? What are you guys on.?Incomprehensible.,especially againt a worn out ageing Leeds side.
mp
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

cpwigan wrote:Drop Smith and I agree it would be a huge call but maybe the right one ? The bench was a bit lacking in impact IMO.
In hindsight possibly.

Id say the most likely change and one that could have enabled is to win was Gelling for Gildart.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

nathan_rugby wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Drop Smith and I agree it would be a huge call but maybe the right one ? The bench was a bit lacking in impact IMO.
In hindsight possibly.

Id say the most likely change and one that could have enabled is to win was Gelling for Gildart.
How do you come to that conclusion? For 95% of the season Smith has been poor yet he always makes the team. If the supporters can see that so can the players, what does that do for the moral of the guys pushing for a place. I thought all players were treated the same at Wigan.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:
Gelling was unfit and out of form.

He is also just poor and rarely does anything against the better sides except get found out. What people see in him I have no idea.

shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote:
Gelling was unfit and out of form.

He is also just poor and rarely does anything against the better sides except get found out. What people see in him I have no idea.
He's a lot to do to convince me that he is of Wigan standard.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
the sully bar

Post by the sully bar »

I like Matty as a person and a player who gives his all on the pitch and in the changing rooms after but his kicking game is poor and needs to be adressed next season , on the 5th tackle we hardly ever put the opposition under presure with the ball hardly ever landing in there 10 yard line,something that leeds did even from there own end of the pitch .
He has got the strengh he has got the speed..and hes beaten him....Ray French on Henderson Gills try 1985 cup final.