Poor reflection on Lockers?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Poor reflection on Lockers?

Post by nathan_rugby »

cpwigan wrote:May as well give up then.

To be honest I think we are reasonable at scoring near an opponents try line.
I see the point above though. I have noticed in the Super 8's especially a clueslessness and predictability when in the opponents 20.

Why do we continue to kick on the 2nd and 3rd? Because there appears no space on the opponents line...

We don't suck defenders in and create space before shipping it wide very well.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

nathan_rugby wrote:

I see the point above though. I have noticed in the Super 8's especially a clueslessness and predictability when in the opponents 20.

Why do we continue to kick on the 2nd and 3rd? Because there appears no space on the opponents line...

You need an offloading prop for these situations, to tie up two defenders and slip a pass out. Something we do not do, but we should.
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Our attack is far too robotic and to be honest it is creeping in to the amateur game, players are frightened to do something out of the ordinary at fear of being ridiculed. Lockers has become slightly robotic in the way he plays, he either takes a drive or goes in at first receiver to pull the ball back to one of our half backs to put our regular shift play on - which in my opinion is executed far too slowly.

This offload tactic Leeds have incorporated all year, whilst risky and combined with a bit of structure has won them the treble.

There's structure when you need it but you also need a little bit of 'off the cuff RL' to give you that cutting edge. Williams seems to have the confidence to do this for us when required which is why he should be England's 7 next to Widdop (But that's another story).
Up The Mont!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

The booze hound wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote:

You need an offloading prop for these situations, to tie up two defenders and slip a pass out. Something we do not do, but we should.
We do it with Mossop.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The way we play limits our potential. If you watch the GF there was a period when Micky Mac started going forward, scooting or passing at the line with forwards running straight and tight to the POTB. We were cutting Leeds up but we then reverted to type with players very widely spread with large gaps between the ball carrier and support.

If you to play any style be it offload or not offload you needs support runners tight in and around the ball carrier. The only time we seem to do it is with a set play 2nd man training ground move.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

cpwigan wrote:The way we play limits our potential. If you watch the GF there was a period when Micky Mac started going forward, scooting or passing at the line with forwards running straight and tight to the POTB. We were cutting Leeds up but we then reverted to type with players very widely spread with large gaps between the ball carrier and support.

If you to play any style be it offload or not offload you needs support runners tight in and around the ball carrier. The only time we seem to do it is with a set play 2nd man training ground move.
The other week we played really tight around the POTB and hit lines behind the markers and really built up momentum and got a roll on.

Not sure why it isn't used more often.

Hooker steps out and hits forward on an angle behind POTB.

Forwards running in pairs signalling a tip on to hold defence back.

Two things we rarely do.

Too often it is our backs taking drives and our forwards taking runs off a pivot and running sideaways and making no yards and not sucking defences.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

we lost the game for what ever reasons , we all have our views and some peop[le will express them stronger than others, that is human nature.

Se we move on to next season and onwards and upwards

Wigan Till i Die
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

nathan_rugby wrote:
jobo wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Another fall guy :exc:
He's been getting the same rubbish thrown at him for years. Some fans have always been either at his feet or at his throat. Reckon some folk just can't wait for things to go wrong.
Lockers initially had a lot of doubters and big boots to fill. He has had a period where he hasn't really had many knockers and has consistently been the best loose in super league.

Last season he had his injuries but played very well when he was in the team.

This season he has had his injuries but never really looked anything like he used to be.

All facts.
Said exactly the same on another thread about players for next year.

My thoughts are that Lockers may well have played his last game should we have won. Now could well be another season of him struggling to make an impact, especially in "big" games
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

You gone off the Wane ball tag now.

We have struggled in goal line attack against Leeds, Saints and Hull KR in big games this season.
2015 Grand Final was a prime example, we failed to break them down when it mattered and they were a much more tired side than us.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think WaneBall is too complimentary to the modern day master coach PM. However, lest we forget he is a Wiganer so successive seasons of failure have to be forgiven. Good lad Waney, incredibly clever coach :wink: