Hampshire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Hampshire

Post by Wiganer Ted »

In his Wigan TV interviews IL has said more than once that he looks forward to seeing Ryan Hampshire and George Williams be our half backs for years to come.
This now appears a move to get him playing half back as there is not a possible chance at Wigan under Shaun Wane.
How often he'll play there at Cas with Gale and Roberts and may be Dorn in front of him is anyone's guess.

With three years on his new contract his return to Wigan is highly likely. It seems obvious that IL and Rads don't see any future for Ryan at full back where we are covered pretty well with Sarginson and Tierney anyway. They are ensuring RH gets gametime at half back so when he does return he will be experienced enough at hb to join the first 13.

Crunch time will come when he returns and if the coach selects him for half back in his 13 or 17.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:The contract extension and the season long loan deal is a perfect example of a club hedging it's bets. Some will say it makes sense. However why would Castleford help Wigan in this matter? What do they get out of this if he is to leave come what may?
If he is to leave come what may neither him signing an extension to 2018 nor the club offering him one makes any sense.

He now has a longer contract so if the club wanted to cancel it they would have to pay him off and if he wants to leave he's just made it harder for that to happen as the club could demand a fee beyond the end of next season when his original contract was due to expire.

I think the explanation is simpler. He's part of the clubs longer term plans and he wants to be.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

And I hope you're right!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

DaveO wrote: He now has a longer contract so if the club wanted to cancel it they would have to pay him off and if he wants to leave he's just made it harder for that to happen as the club could demand a fee beyond the end of next season when his original contract was due to expire.

I think the explanation is simpler. He's part of the clubs longer term plans and he wants to be.
Exactly!

My point I alluded to in my previous post, was that unless Wane wins something next season he cannot stay. To do so, would put him at odds with IL and Rads apparent promise for him to play half back for us. If not why do they not insist Wane picks him for us next season?

The experience argument is an old chestnut. Surely better getting first team experience in his real position at Wigan than at another club.

Wane wins something and Wigan sell Hampshire, that is the only other option that I can see happening in 12 months time
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:
DaveO wrote: He now has a longer contract so if the club wanted to cancel it they would have to pay him off and if he wants to leave he's just made it harder for that to happen as the club could demand a fee beyond the end of next season when his original contract was due to expire.

Exactly!

My point I alluded to in my previous post, was that unless Wane wins something next season he cannot stay. To do so, would put him at odds with IL and Rads apparent promise for him to play half back for us. If not why do they not insist Wane picks him for us next season?

The experience argument is an old chestnut. Surely better getting first team experience in his real position at Wigan than at another club.

Wane wins something and Wigan sell Hampshire, that is the only other option that I can see happening in 12 months time
I was replying to your earlier post where you said it makes sense for the club to give him a long term deal. I was suggesting it wouldn't make sense for the player to agree, in which case given he has agreed the most likely explanation is both club and player are happy with this. If we are on the same page with that fair enough!

As to him being basically out of way while Wane sinks or swims next year with Wane unlikely to pick him I am not sure I can buy into that theory.

If IL and/or Rads are so at odds with Wane over Hampshire they would go to the extent arranging this deal and not just let him leave if Wane doesn't rate him, then that is such a huge vote of no confidence in Wane already so why is Wane still here?

Hampshire will still have two years of the new deal to run when he comes back off loan so it just doesn't make much sense to me.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

An interesting conflict. Coach only sees the player as a fullback. Player sees himself as a halfback and does not want to be considered as a fullback. Player goes out on loan + extends contract which allow the coach to save face too and not be undermined. The big PROVISO is PROVIDED Wigan do well in 2016 and Rocky does not shine at Cas.

Fantastic strategy from IL / KR or egg on face ? Only time will tell.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I think it's just too far fetched the club would go to this length.

What if Hampshire has a great season and Wigan win something under Wane? Can't get rid of either without losing credibility.

What if Hampshire fails? Wigan are lumbered with him for two more years regardless of what Wane does.

For this theory, which is basically there isn't room at the club for both of them, to work Wane has to fail and be sacked.

Otherwise we are back to square one with Wane in charge and Hampshire sat on the sideline because with a three year deal he will be back.

Just doesn't make sense whichever way you look at it.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I gives the club a season not to have to make a decision and in the bargain Wigan protect themselves from losing a potentially lucrative investment with protection as to how long they retain him if it ever comes to trading / selling him.
menpond

Post by menpond »

Back to Wane .Clueless.
mp