England make two changes for New Zealand decider

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
The Eclipse

Re: England make two changes for New Zealand decider

Post by The Eclipse »

The forward pack have worked their backsides off and they needed freshening up with a new face or 2, so what does the coach do ? drop a winger and halfback.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Mike wrote:Possibly looking for a stronger out-set runner in McGillavry and maybe a more structure attack with Smith?
I'm at a loss as to why Smith is anywhere near this squad let alone the 19, McGillvary on the other hand.warrants selection based on last seasons performances.
Why, when he is not in the same class as Burgess and Hall.

Why do any changes have to be made anyway?
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

Same point as WW. If fit why make changes? Not happy
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

It looks as though Mcnamara is going to drop Williams who had a poor game but an outstanding season and replace him with a player who has been dire all season.Logical ?
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Widdop also had a poor game. Would!d he drop Widdop and bring Matty Smith in? It's a possibility.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Did any of the squad have an exceptional game? Where would he play Smith if he dropped Widdop, as he is a scrum half & Widdop is a stand off, so it's got to be George! :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

bill.inger wrote:Widdop also had a poor game. Would!d he drop Widdop and bring Matty Smith in? It's a possibility.
What, Smith better than Widdop?

More likely Williams, who like Old Hooker has said, had a poor game by his standard.

As for Burgess being dropped, I am at a loss to understand any change there when he is not only a better winger than McG ,but in the early part of the game prevented a certain try by NZ when yet again like couple of occasions in the first game, Watkins left a big gap in defence.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

My thought with Budgie and I had it in the last test. NZ look vulnerable to a kick and chase from a scrum in our own 20. My money would favour Budgie in those circumstances.

Sadly it will not happen.

I am glad somebody recognised Widdop was poor too. The one caveat for Smith is that he plays right and Widdop seems our left half whereas George seems a lefty too.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I stand by IMO the wrong call. However, for me it was a bad series for Widdop. I genuinely expected him to step up and dominate. A great series for Hogson, Cooper, Tom B, Ferres and Whitehead. An international career defining one for Lockers and possibly McNamara.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

On both McNamara got the changes correct. McGillivray like Hall was used as a battering ram and Joe Burgess is not that type of player.