Sean Edwards inducted to Hall of Fame

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southernpie

Sean Edwards inducted to Hall of Fame

Post by southernpie »

About time too
Shaun Edwards enters the Rugby League Hall of Fame for his record-breaking achievements with Wigan and Great Britain

Shaun Edwards won the Challenge Cup eight years in a row at Wigan
Edwards also made a total of 36 appearances for Great Britain
He is now in rugby union and is the assistant coach of Wales

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... z3rIhYAzmd
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyl ... itain.html
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
josie andrews

Re: Sean Edwards inducted to Hall of Fame

Post by josie andrews »

Two Rugby League legends inducted into Hall of Fame

Albert Goldthorpe and Shaun Edwards OBE will become the latest members of the Rugby League Hall of Fame when they are inducted into the sport’s exclusive club this evening.

Hunslet legend Goldthorpe and former Wigan and Great Britain star Edwards will both be formally inducted into the Hall of Fame at a celebratory dinner in association with Rugby League Cares in Manchester tonight.

In a playing career spanning over 20 years, Goldthorpe made his debut for Hunslet at the age of 16 in 1888 before retiring in 1910 having scored over 1500 points in 659 games.

In the 1907-08 season, Goldthorpe led the Hunslet side that scooped all four domestic trophies at the time – the Yorkshire Cup, the Yorkshire League Trophy, the Challenge Cup and the Championship Trophy.

Like Goldthorpe, Edwards enjoyed a trophy-laden career with his hometown club Wigan – winning the Challenge Cup for eight consecutive years as well three World Club Championships, eight Championship titles and the Man of Steel award in 1990.

The half-back, who represented Great Britain 36 times, amassed over 450 appearances for Wigan, registering 1146 points before spells at London Broncos, Bradford Bulls and a brief spell in Australia with Balmain Tigers.

Goldthorpe and Edwards become the 24th and 25th inductees of the Hall of Fame following Malcolm Reilly OBE and Willie Horne’s inductions last year.

RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood said: “The Rugby League Hall of Fame includes 23 magnificent legends of our sport and the list now includes two more outstanding players.

“In a year where we are celebrating the sport’s 120th anniversary with five of the game’s legends immortalised in the Rugby League Statue at Wembley Stadium, it’s fantastic that those celebrations can be extended with the induction of two worthy inductees into the Hall of Fame.”

Rugby League Cares Chairman Terry Flanagan said: “It’s always an absolute privilege to host a brilliant event that is the Rugby League Hall of Fame Induction dinner.

“Albert Goldthorpe and Shaun Edwards are two very worthy additions to the Hall of Fame and it’s great that we can celebrate their careers in this way.”

The Rugby League Hall of Fame was established in 1988 to commemorate the greatest ever players in British Rugby League. The inductions of Albert Goldthorpe and Shaun Edwards takes the total number of players in the Hall of Fame to 25.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/33 ... -inducted?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Surprised it took so long
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

The boy done good. It was inevitable as his record trophy haul will never be beaten.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Bet that went down well in the RU orientated media especially just after the Sam Burgess debacle.
Well Done Sean.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well deserved.

He is one of my all time Wigan greats. I will never forget him playing with on with a fractured eye socket v Warrington in the CC final refusing to come off because he didn't want them to think he'd been hurt! I was fortunate to be there that day as well.

His approach to the game which that epitomised and his absolute determination to win fitted in ideally with the way John Monie, who coached him for a large chunk of his Wigan career, expected his players to play.

Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

DaveO wrote:Well deserved.

He is one of my all time Wigan greats. I will never forget him playing with on with a fractured eye socket v Warrington in the CC final refusing to come off because he didn't want them to think he'd been hurt! I was fortunate to be there that day as well.

His approach to the game which that epitomised and his absolute determination to win fitted in ideally with the way John Monie, who coached him for a large chunk of his Wigan career, expected his players to play.
I was there also. His induction into the Hall of Fame is long overdue. However why now. RFU international coach. Not in our game and hopefully he stays in Union. I, for one wouldn't welcome him(including the likes of Andy F Mike F et al. Jrust call me bitter. You would be correct.

menpond

Post by menpond »

As they say in Australia rugby league circles,who is Sean Edwards?
mp
endoman

Post by endoman »

menpond wrote:As they say in Australia rugby league circles,who is Sean Edwards?
They also say that in England RL circles.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Slim Jim wrote:
I was there also. His induction into the Hall of Fame is long overdue. However why now. RFU international coach. Not in our game and hopefully he stays in Union. I, for one wouldn't welcome him(including the likes of Andy F Mike F et al. Jrust call me bitter. You would be correct.

I'd have him back in a shot. The others? No.

But for the others it's nothing to do with bitterness for them and a soft spot for Edwards. I just think the others have nothing to offer whereas Edwards does.

He would dedicate himself to being the best RL coach he could possibly be. He isn't daft enough or so arrogant to think he would walk into a coaching Wigan knowing better than anyone else. Unlike a certain other coach I could mention!