Sean Edwards inducted to Hall of Fame

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Sean Edwards inducted to Hall of Fame

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Just my thoughts, I can't see Edwards returning to Wigan as assistant coach, ever.
First team coach or nothing.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

I doubt he will ever come back to Wigan.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

The Yonner wrote:Don't know how your last post has managed to appear under my handle WW, but assuming it is you I'm replying to I just would like to say your cynicism is quite amazing.

Taking your argument to its logical conclusion, the only players who ever played for Wigan because they wanted to and deserve recognition from you for so doing are the ones who were so useless that professional rugby union (had it existed)wouldn't have been interested in.

That pretty much rules out the entire first team playing staff from 1985 to 1995; and why shouldn't the same apply to the other great Wigan periods like 1945 - 52 and 1958 - 66?

Please explain why you have a personal vendetta against Shaun Edwards?
No vendetta as Edwards was one of my favorite players, but enough sense to realised that Union at the time been what it is now, we may not have had the that pleasure.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
The Yonner wrote:Don't know how your last post has managed to appear under my handle WW, but assuming it is you I'm replying to I just would like to say your cynicism is quite amazing.

Taking your argument to its logical conclusion, the only players who ever played for Wigan because they wanted to and deserve recognition from you for so doing are the ones who were so useless that professional rugby union (had it existed)wouldn't have been interested in.

That pretty much rules out the entire first team playing staff from 1985 to 1995; and why shouldn't the same apply to the other great Wigan periods like 1945 - 52 and 1958 - 66?

No vendetta as Edwards was one of my favorite players, but enough sense to realised that Union at the time been what it is now, we may not have had the that pleasure.
That is a bit of a straw man argument. Union wasn't as it is now back then and neither was RL.

When Edwards first started out there were plenty of semi-pro players and few full time players in RL. The game of RL only went officially full time in 1995 with Wigan if I recall correctly announcing they were doing so in the 91/92 season.

So when he signed Union was amateur but RL was semi pro.

It was a different era so saying if Union level wages were on offer back then he may have never played RL is daft. They weren't. You may as well say if NRL level of wages were on offer he'd have gone to the NRL.

You also may as well say had he won £100m on the Euro Millions lottery he'd have never taken up pro sport at all.

Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Just my thoughts, I can't see Edwards returning to Wigan as assistant coach, ever.
First team coach or nothing.

I don't want him back at Wigan to coach. Football manager ok. I was really thinking of manager of England at a level above coach. Just a thought
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:

That is a bit of a straw man argument. Union wasn't as it is now back then and neither was RL.

When Edwards first started out there were plenty of semi-pro players and few full time players in RL. The game of RL only went officially full time in 1995 with Wigan if I recall correctly announcing they were doing so in the 91/92 season.

It was a different era so saying if Union level wages were on offer back then he may have never played RL is daft. They weren't. You may as well say if NRL level of wages were on offer he'd have gone to the NRL.

You also may as well say had he won £100m on the Euro Millions lottery he'd have never taken up pro sport at all.
Never said that Edwards would never have played our game at all, only that if Union had gone professional earlier, he and some others at the time may have no hesitation in defecting to Union in the same way that Robinson and others did later.

southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Never said that Edwards would never have played our game at all, only that if Union had gone professional earlier, he and some others at the time may have no hesitation in defecting to Union in the same way that Robinson and others did later.

Trying to dig oneself out of a hole WW?
IMO Giz is well overdue this award, the most decorated player ever.
He never defected to play yawnion, even though he did play a bit as a youngster. He went to be near his son.
There were no RL coaching jobs around for him when he retired from playing. He had to find employment to support his son and was offered a coaching role in Yawnion who were waking up to using RL coaches. He has apparently turned down RL coaching jobs as he is a man of honour and seen out his current contracts, however he has not been offered anything in a RL capacity when near the end of, or when out of contract. Therefore I do not blame him for looking after his family.
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: No vendetta as Edwards was one of my favorite players, but enough sense to realised that Union at the time been what it is now, we may not have had the that pleasure.

Did you not read my post before replying? The "if Union had gone pro earlier" thing is pointless. It didn't. Just like the NRL didn't get a huge TV deal back then so being a draw for our players. He could have got knocked down by a bus. That didn't happen either.

Wigan took a chance on a very young player and paid him a lot of money (for the time). Perhaps Wigan should be given some credit for that.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

WW you make massive assumptions about other peoples' actions as I've said before. Keep it up, it's great entertainment!
In the real world that was then, this is now, and all this he would have done or they would have done is of no significance today.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Wandering Warrior wrote:WW you make massive assumptions about other peoples' actions as I've said before. Keep it up, it's great entertainment!
In the real world that was then, this is now, and all this he would have done or they would have done is of no significance today.
Not a assumption, just a a opinion of what could have happened and to I am entitled to make despite you not liking it.

By the way, have you not got enough on your plate with the plight of your football team which is entertainment when you see their position in the Championship.

Oh dear, here I go again, making a assumption that it is Bolton and not Wolverhampton.