Sean Edwards inducted to Hall of Fame

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Smokie Jim

Re: Sean Edwards inducted to Hall of Fame

Post by Smokie Jim »

Was hoping the RFL were courting Shaun for return to League. Alas that is not to be having taken a 4 year contract with the Wales RFU.

Dave O I've re read your earlier post and fully endorse the views you express there. I think my bitterness was more a reflection of my disappointment in loosing him to Union. The lad is a great pro. and I wish him well.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Smokie Jim wrote:
Dave O I've re read your earlier post and fully endorse the views you express there. I think my bitterness was more a reflection of my disappointment in loosing him to Union. The lad is a great pro. and I wish him well.
Thanks SJ. I'd love to see Edwards have a shot at RL coaching. I think he's a clever man when it comes to coaching. Unfortunately his brains are being applied to RU.

I think it is significant he doesn't apply them to England RU. The Welsh are, these days (though not in the past), more open minded then than England.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
The Yonner wrote:Don't know how your last post has managed to appear under my handle WW, but assuming it is you I'm replying to I just would like to say your cynicism is quite amazing.

Taking your argument to its logical conclusion, the only players who ever played for Wigan because they wanted to and deserve recognition from you for so doing are the ones who were so useless that professional rugby union (had it existed)wouldn't have been interested in.

That pretty much rules out the entire first team playing staff from 1985 to 1995; and why shouldn't the same apply to the other great Wigan periods like 1945 - 52 and 1958 - 66?

Please explain why you have a personal vendetta against Shaun Edwards?
No vendetta as Edwards was one of my favorite players, but enough sense to realised that Union at the time been what it is now, we may not have had the that pleasure.
That is a bit of a straw man argument. Union wasn't as it is now back then and neither was RL.

When Edwards first started out there were plenty of semi-pro players and few full time players in RL. The game of RL only went officially full time in 1995 with Wigan if I recall correctly announcing they were doing so in the 91/92 season.

So when he signed Union was amateur but RL was semi pro.

It was a different era so saying if Union level wages were on offer back then he may have never played RL is daft. They weren't. You may as well say if NRL level of wages were on offer he'd have gone to the NRL.

You also may as well say had he won £100m on the Euro Millions lottery he'd have never taken up pro sport at all.
Well not really.

You would need to introduce the concept of probability to make it a worthwhile comparison. It's a completely different comparison to say "let's assume what has happened, took place 30 years ago" to "let's assume he had won the lottery".

Personally I think Edwards would have gone to Union.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Wintergreen wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: No vendetta as Edwards was one of my favorite players, but enough sense to realised that Union at the time been what it is now, we may not have had the that pleasure.
That is a bit of a straw man argument. Union wasn't as it is now back then and neither was RL.

When Edwards first started out there were plenty of semi-pro players and few full time players in RL. The game of RL only went officially full time in 1995 with Wigan if I recall correctly announcing they were doing so in the 91/92 season.

So when he signed Union was amateur but RL was semi pro.

It was a different era so saying if Union level wages were on offer back then he may have never played RL is daft. They weren't. You may as well say if NRL level of wages were on offer he'd have gone to the NRL.

You also may as well say had he won £100m on the Euro Millions lottery he'd have never taken up pro sport at all.
Well not really.

You would need to introduce the concept of probability to make it a worthwhile comparison. It's a completely different comparison to say "let's assume what has happened, took place 30 years ago" to "let's assume he had won the lottery".

Personally I think Edwards would have gone to Union.
On that I do agree with you, Wintergreen

We were lucky that Union only went fully professional at the end of his playing career.
menpond

Post by menpond »

Given we have a failing chief coach, adding Edwards to the mix as a no2 could be a catalyst to produce a successful team. We are going down at the moment,so whats to lose? Edwards knows it all by now,but he has never handled men before that I know of. Bring it on.
mp