Liam Marshall in for Wigan v Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Liam Marshall in for Wigan v Leigh

Post by cpwigan »

Indeed, IIRC, Mrs Marshall (his father passed away many years ago) still lives there (possibly). She was a dinner supervisor for many years at Standish HS. Last time I knew Dave only lived around the corner on pepper lane opposite the pie and chippy shops. Dave was running a gardening / landscape business.

I think Dave initially played RU at Wigan before going to Pats but RL was never huge in Standish etc back in the day.

Langree garage now look far better BTW as a good looking house development; the Marshall house is at the side of it. I do fear for Standish and surrounding areas though re traffic chaos (not easy now) with constant building development.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Thanks for that CP yes I can still remember Dave breaking his leg ? Or was it knee trouble that curtailed his short RL career. I think he played circa. Dennis Ramsdale another promising winger post Jim Hornby oh to be young again. You'll have to move down here to get away from the bussle although having said that because of the lack of traffic the locals speed everywhere despite the single tracks and blind bends :D
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I remember Dave suffering a bad injury. Possibly knee. Although Gilly has a bad leg injury too. Dave had a good spell at one point; IITC might have played/scored in a final - Regal?

Ramsdale was repeat concussion IIRC, I remembering him having a testimonial.

I was once coached by Jim Hornby. Nice man. Not sure we listened much though.
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

I wonder how often, if ever, the first team has had the sons of four former players in it at the same time? Looking to you experts for this one!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:I remember Dave suffering a bad injury. Possibly knee.
It was his knee. I really liked him as a player, showed a lot of promise and pace.

Him and Mark Preston were the wingers at the time and it looked as if we were set for several years with two excellent wingers and then DM did his knee.

Preston went when we signed Offiah which was tough on Preston but if class like that is available you really have to sign it!
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I remember Marshall playing in that Regal final CP at Headingly v Hull KR? Sure Hanley had come back off injury. Dave made a good break from his own 10m line and passed it to Hanley who was at half pace with a certain John Dorahay (later our coach) chasing him to the line.... I'm pretty sure it was the Robins although Halifax springs to mind a little, a lot of finals back then even more memories of Hanley running g crab like to the line normally with a big fend and a skip or two in the process.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Halifax IIRC
SJ

Post by SJ »

cpwigan wrote:Halifax IIRC
Yes it was Halifax. Remember Joe Lydon stamping on Dorahay' chest in his in goal area. They had a real dirty player Johnson I think is name was. I was at the match. Think we lost :(
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No we won but Lindsay Johnson was an old dog from Souths who was a nasty type when he wanted to be. Always remember Bren Hill who was a true steam pig. Quite a spiteful game mainly regarding Dorahay. Ellery was Ellery!! Went to the old Hall Of Fame (pub really) and our coach guide was Rod Reddy. Good guy who sat on our table at lunch and made me smile though when he said Ellery Hanley wasn't a proper rugby player.