Goal kicker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
SJ

Re: Goal kicker

Post by SJ »

cpwigan wrote:Certainly a class goal-kicker would/will make a huge difference.
Agreed. It's so obvious it defies credulity that that the club have seemingly done nothing. A statement from the Club wouldn't go amiss and possibly allay our concern/fears.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not 100% / far from it but I think the club believe they ca manufacture a kicker fro the existing squad. IIRC, pre season there has been talk of a return to two goal kickers (left/right) as in the days of Gill/Stephenson). As we all say goal kicking can be the difference between victory and defeat. It was arguable a key strength / main strength of Sinfield.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We could do with hiring Dave Alred.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We must have some goal kickers in our midst. I remember Owen Farrell as a teenager and whilst he was no dummy at kicking, he was not amazing. I know it is bigger in Union but Union seem to produce numerous excellent place kickers.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

cpwigan wrote:We must have some goal kickers in our midst. I remember Owen Farrell as a teenager and whilst he was no dummy at kicking, he was not amazing. I know it is bigger in Union but Union seem to produce numerous excellent place kickers.
Frano Botica for one.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wintergreen wrote:
cpwigan wrote:We must have some goal kickers in our midst. I remember Owen Farrell as a teenager and whilst he was no dummy at kicking, he was not amazing. I know it is bigger in Union but Union seem to produce numerous excellent place kickers.
Frano Botica for one.
Made it look easy didn't he provided it was in the opposition half and IIRC only really started place kicking when he came to Wigan in order to get in the team.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

They get enough practice at it !

As many games in union are decided by penalties (not uncommon for zero tries in the 80) it's hardly surprising a greater emphasis is placed on kicking if this is the usual mode of winning matches.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Nezza Faz wrote:

They get enough practice at it !

As many games in union are decided by penalties (not uncommon for zero tries in the 80) it's hardly surprising a greater emphasis is placed on kicking if this is the usual mode of winning matches.
Quite Nez F Pope Sinfield should do well in that code. :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:
....IIRC only really started place kicking when he came to Wigan in order to get in the team.
Yes he did. It also shows a coach will compromise to have a good kicker in his side. Frano had no chance getting into the side as a half back when he arrived here but his goal kicking got him a spot on the wing.

OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
....IIRC only really started place kicking when he came to Wigan in order to get in the team.
Yes he did. It also shows a coach will compromise to have a good kicker in his side. Frano had no chance getting into the side as a half back when he arrived here but his goal kicking got him a spot on the wing.

well said there Dave - Frano is the greatest kicker i have seen in our game in my humble opinion
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White