South Stand Seats Covered

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
John Ferguson

Re: South Stand Seats Covered

Post by John Ferguson »

It was Catalans we were playing who bring virtually no fans. Surely it will be different when we play teams with an away following as they will be in the North stand?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

John Ferguson wrote:It was Catalans we were playing who bring virtually no fans. Surely it will be different when we play teams with an away following as they will be in the North stand?
Only the Saints league game will have any real bearing as it is the only game which at times attracts more supporters than the number of seats.

Away support to the DW for a away game is no longer what it used to be, especially from the Yorkshire clubs because of the problems of the M62.
mickh

Post by mickh »

The covers to me seemed to be over the top, and, unnecessary, but they have been bought now so WILL be used again.
On another issue I felt sorry for the two lads trying to tug the "Warrior Girls" tarpaulin off the pitch, churning it up even more may I add! Surely there is a better method?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cherry.pie wrote:I thought the covers looked okay. They only covered the rows at the bottom of the stands which always end up with no more than half a dozen people sat on them when the weather is bad. Most people go further up to get out of the rain so presumably that's why they covered them up this time. It looks a bit better than just having a load of empty seats at the bottom of the stand.

Is there a lift in the south stand like there is in the east? If they put the covers on for another game it might be easier to use a lift and climb the few stairs from the concourse (assuming it's like the east stand).
Yes there is a lift in the south stand. I've used it on the odd occasion I've sat in there
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Lifetimer

Post by Lifetimer »

While I appreciate all the responses to my comments I get the impression that the people who consider these look good do not sit in the South Stand, yes the seats in this stand are unreserved but most of the regular spectators make sure they arrive on time to get their usual seat. Don't forget when we first moved to the DW in 1999 the South Stand DID have reserved seats for us season ticket holders but once again the Rugby Club decided to change the situation.
For the person who feels I'm being fickle with my remarks about not renewing my season ticket consider this, what would happen if the club decided to cover your seat in the East or West stand?
I'm afraid I am of the opinion if I don't like something I won't go, we are all entitled to our opinion and as a fee paying spectator I am entitled to mine. IMO if the club wants to make the stand look fuller reduce the ticket prices and get more bums on seats.
Jamie Peacock is not the Ugliest Man in the World

But He Looks Like Him
Red Hot Mama

Post by Red Hot Mama »

Well said Lifetimer. I totally agree with you. I sent a message via twitter on Friday night. I'm still waiting for a reply
Brian's Girl

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Ever seat should be available and in sections such as the South fans should be free to choose where they want to sit.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Lifetimer wrote:While I appreciate all the responses to my comments I get the impression that the people who consider these look good do not sit in the South Stand, yes the seats in this stand are unreserved but most of the regular spectators make sure they arrive on time to get their usual seat. Don't forget when we first moved to the DW in 1999 the South Stand DID have reserved seats for us season ticket holders but once again the Rugby Club decided to change the situation.
For the person who feels I'm being fickle with my remarks about not renewing my season ticket consider this, what would happen if the club decided to cover your seat in the East or West stand?
I'm afraid I am of the opinion if I don't like something I won't go, we are all entitled to our opinion and as a fee paying spectator I am entitled to mine. IMO if the club wants to make the stand look fuller reduce the ticket prices and get more bums on seats.
They would not cover mine as I am not in a part of the stand require for extra advertising of the club name, especilly on television.

But, I do agree with you about reducing prices to increase the crowds.
Lifetimer

Post by Lifetimer »

I don't wish to harp on about this issue (my issue) but please see the response from the clubs Communications Director, according to him I am the only person in Wigan who disagree's with this new setup in the South Stand.His comments below:

In response to your questions, last season the South Stand only sold out for the bigger games therefore the decision was made to only remove the netting for those games this year.

We only became aware of this issue the week before the start of the season so a late decision had to be made and therefore we were unable to inform fans.

Whilst I cannot comment on speculation of unrest, I can confirm that as a club this is the only correspondence, be it by phone, email, letter, twitter or Facebook, that we have had over this issue.

Kind regards,
Tim

TIM FISHER

Communications Executive
Jamie Peacock is not the Ugliest Man in the World

But He Looks Like Him
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Lifetimer wrote:While I appreciate all the responses to my comments I get the impression that the people who consider these look good do not sit in the South Stand, yes the seats in this stand are unreserved but most of the regular spectators make sure they arrive on time to get their usual seat. Don't forget when we first moved to the DW in 1999 the South Stand DID have reserved seats for us season ticket holders but once again the Rugby Club decided to change the situation.
Fully understand your sentiment. However, at least you may get the option to sit there at the big games. As per my earlier post, I used to sit in Row A in the Boston stand but these were all removed when the Latics got promoted so they could get more hoardings up. And yes I still have a season ticket
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered