Salford game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
i'm spartacus

Re: Salford game

Post by i'm spartacus »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:
cow yeds wrote: The ground is owned and managed by Wigan Football Company Limited.
15% is owned by Wigan Council. btw Wigan Football Ltd is NOT the same as Wigan Athletic.
14% actually (4.9 million of the £35 million cost of building the Stadium).

The name of Wigan Football Club Limited is more than likely the trading name of Wigan Athletic who own the Stadium and which is registered with Companies House. Prior to Whelan donating the Stadium to the Latic's, it was owned by Whelco, the trading name of Whelan's business empire. In other words, it is still owned by Whelan as he owns Wigan Athleic.

Wigan Rugby League Club Limited is the trading name of Wigan Warriors and registered with Companies House.
The ground is owned by Wigan Athletic Holdings https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/com ... 3/officers

The football club is a subsidiary https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00270043

Latics did at one time own the stadium, but this all altered at the time of Whelan's debt to equity swap when Whelco was liquidated and assets changed ownership. The up shot is, despite the fact that the same people control both the holding company and the football club, they are distinct and seperate entities.

The Warriors have a lease, and any financial obligations they have in respect of ground maintenance should be in that lease. In general, landlords don't rock up and carry out large scale maintenance then send a bill to a tenant unless a lease says he can. I can't imagine any situation where a landlord could bill you for damage you haven't caused even if the clause was in it
doc

Post by doc »

Buy the Reebok off Bolton. We should be able to get it at a knock down price given the financial trouble they're in.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

i'm spartacus wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
No straw damn us wrote: 15% is owned by Wigan Council. btw Wigan Football Ltd is NOT the same as Wigan Athletic.
14% actually (4.9 million of the £35 million cost of building the Stadium).

The name of Wigan Football Club Limited is more than likely the trading name of Wigan Athletic who own the Stadium and which is registered with Companies House. Prior to Whelan donating the Stadium to the Latic's, it was owned by Whelco, the trading name of Whelan's business empire. In other words, it is still owned by Whelan as he owns Wigan Athleic.

Wigan Rugby League Club Limited is the trading name of Wigan Warriors and registered with Companies House.
The ground is owned by Wigan Athletic Holdings https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/com ... 3/officers

The football club is a subsidiary https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00270043

Latics did at one time own the stadium, but this all altered at the time of Whelan's debt to equity swap when Whelco was liquidated and assets changed ownership. The up shot is, despite the fact that the same people control both the holding company and the football club, they are distinct and seperate entities.

The Warriors have a lease, and any financial obligations they have in respect of ground maintenance should be in that lease. In general, landlords don't rock up and carry out large scale maintenance then send a bill to a tenant unless a lease says he can. I can't imagine any situation where a landlord could bill you for damage you haven't caused even if the clause was in it
And if you look at Latics last published accounts, they have assets of £7.8 million, but Total Current Liabilities of £18.3 million. However I don't fall into the believers of a relegated Wigan Athletic would be good for Wigan Warriors. There would be even more games on the pitch, less money to maintain it etc. It would probably be in our best interests if Latics were back in the Premier League. Out of the £200 million they would get, two or three million would be small change to sort the pitch out properly.
doc

Post by doc »

So what would happen if the Tics went pop and the receivers took over the stadium? Would we make an offer or would the receivers be allowed to kick us out and sell off the land?
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

6 from Scotland shafted . AGAIN

Along with many many others

Regards , EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Green Machine

Post by Green Machine »

Wonder what Sky will have to say about it seeing as we were due to be the televised match on the Friday. According to the listings Hull v Castleford is being shown on Thursday.
doc

Post by doc »

Surely we can't be expected to move the game at short notice to a time when the crowd will be lower and where some hospitality packages might have to be cancelled losing the club money without being paid appropriate compensation by the stadium owners/Latics. If compensation is paid to the club then fans should receive some of this if they are left out of pocket. If I was IL I would be looking for a lot of money or a reduction in rent. Maybe a threat to move ground due to the stadium company constantly breaking their contract might give Whelan a kick up the backside. Then again, with his grandson's business acumen I would expect the Tics to be in deep trouble in the not to distant future. Must be the only chippy in Wigan to ever go bust.

This season we could have expected Salford to have brought a reasonable following for a change given their recent results but looking at their message boards many of their fans won't be able to make the match and will end up out of pocket due to pre-booked travel.

There is also the issue of fixture planning. I assume that Tics must give the FA dates when the ground is not available due to RL, much as Man Utd do with the GF. Similarly I assume we have to do the same with the RFL. If so, someone has cocked up big style scheduling two matches at the DW next weekend and Easter Monday or maybe there is some power struggle/politics going on in the background.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Green Machine wrote:Wonder what Sky will have to say about it seeing as we were due to be the televised match on the Friday. According to the listings Hull v Castleford is being shown on Thursday.
Thought it was HKR v Saints was on Sky Sports 2 on the Friday? :conf:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
doc

Post by doc »

Green Machine wrote:Wonder what Sky will have to say about it seeing as we were due to be the televised match on the Friday. According to the listings Hull v Castleford is being shown on Thursday.
HKR Saints now to be shown on Friday according to the Sky website so we will miss out on some TV money as well!
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

sheepdip wrote:That scuppers it for me an afraid. Due to work commitments I will probably not be able to go.I am now wishing it had been moved to another ground. I thought I would never say it, but don't think I will be renewing my season ticket next year. I now think the good will of the fans could be at breaking point. The moving of games at short notice and the long gap between home games during the middle of the season must lead to a substantial loss of revenue, and whilst being forced to make fixture changes is probably out of Leneghan's hands, it looks to the fans that he is being bullied by the football club. I suppose the only hope for a better deal for us fans is that Latics continue to drop through the leagues and their ability to push Leneghan around may not be as easy. I think the whole game day experience at Wigan is poor for the normal fan. Improving the catering, cleaning the seats, finding a golden gamble ticket seller or programme seller who does not look bored or disinterested is a problem for me. I am thinking they are not on commission. It should be a professional outfit and I think it looks amateurish at times. The whole Millwall thing looked as though it was made up at the last minute was pretty poor IMO, plus the late delivery of new replica shirts was not good enough.
I agree with you pal. Thursday games are an utter pile of dogs doings and the sky tv figures back that up. Now we have Wigan making yet another schedule change to that blasted day.

Season ticket sales cannot be based on a whim like swapping fixtures dates and "home" advantage so often and systematically at short notice. Even accounting for small hidden disclaimer's published in miniature writing someone on your season ticket renewal paperwork.

Wigan moved home games to Fridays to prevent the constant chopping and changing of the fixtures by Sky, now we have them moved to suit the football :angry:

The start of the season is always played on a pitch simply not fit for purpose. Then, in the middle of the season we have to play all games away so the "precious" pitch is fine in readiness for the start of the football season ...again, before repeated..... ad naseum

One of the biggest club's in the sport has been reduced to a laughing stock. Issues like this do not arise at Huddersfield or Hull or Salford etc etc. Why is this?

Because we are having the piss taken out of us by the stadium owners (who primarily have the football clubs interest at heart)

Wigan MUST look to find an a permanent alternative. As has been said, if smaller less financially soluble clubs can have their own stadiums why can we not?

Time to dump these leeches off our back and strike out elsewhere, even if it means a smaller capacity (when big games are played at the DW it really only benefits the owners anyway).

Come on IL you know it make sense and more and more fans will back you moving from that dump
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: