Sam Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Sam Powell

Post by josie andrews »

Powell gives 110% every game!

He's playing 80 minutes in a position he never played before last season as back up to Mickey Mc. A feat everyone is always asking why doesn't MM play 80minutes

Well done today Sam, proud of you & chuffed for your parents :) ????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

cpwigan wrote:
up the junction wrote:PLEASE!!!! :conf:
? what is the problem ?
No problem at all Sam deserves massive respect for his display today but the comments re Mac???????
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

up the junction wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
up the junction wrote:PLEASE!!!! :conf:
? what is the problem ?
No problem at all Sam deserves massive respect for his display today but the comments re Mac???????
Don't worry about it, Meds isn't renowned for his good judgement of a players abilities!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:If Roby would have scored the try Powell scored today it would have been a..... something fest in that commentary box!!
Wane will drop him for that. :wink: Tried something a bit different, didn't stick to the attacking game plan and ship it out wide. What on earth was he thinking!

A breath of fresh air that try.
Lee481

Post by Lee481 »

Always been a fan of Sam's. Thought for a while that he would be a nearly man despite him giving 110% every time he pulls on the shirt!
Proving his worth now he's getting a run of games even in his non-favoured position. His 53 tackles yesterday was a huge effort from him.
SJ

Post by SJ »

cpwigan wrote:IMO, man of the match today, Whatever you, do not tell WW that I helped to coach him with my mid week tip sheet. Notice stepping out and up to engage defenders :wink:

Seriously though, a class effort IMO.
Agree with you CP. His try was a gem. Can't see MM getting his place back if Sam continues to play this well. He has that creative ability that I think is essential in a9 which he excemplified in his try.
SJ

Post by SJ »

medlocke wrote:Far better option than MM, all MM offers us is aggressive tackling, not good enough for a hooker
Been saying this for sometime. However I 've been told on numerous occasions I know nowt about RL Glad I'm not alone :D
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

SJ wrote:
cpwigan wrote:IMO, man of the match today, Whatever you, do not tell WW that I helped to coach him with my mid week tip sheet. Notice stepping out and up to engage defenders :wink:

Seriously though, a class effort IMO.
Agree with you CP. His try was a gem. Can't see MM getting his place back if Sam continues to play this well. He has that creative ability that I think is essential in a9 which he excemplified in his try.
They are both good Hookers in different ways, but I still think because of the loss of MM, we need another experienced Hooker on a one year contract as back up because if Powell gets injured we are down to two inexperienced Hookers in Waterworth who is also injured and young Ganson.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think what Sam showed is that players need game time but also ots of time in those games. Sam has benefited from starting and playing the full 80. Other than 'debutants' we cannot expect or be fair to subs getting 10 or 15 minutes here and there.

Re Mac. Sam playing the 80 shows that hookers should be able to incl Mac. BTW whether I agree or disagree we all IMO know that even if Sam produces that form week in week out, he will pick Mac at his first opportunity next season. I also think Macs attacking game has gone backward under Wane. If you look back, he too had started to kick from dummy half, take on defences more etc.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Maybe Wane deserves a bit of credit here for spotting a potentially very good hooker in Powell after many said he was dire!! As for Powell I have nothing but praise for him his try was sublime and better than MM's 2 tries against Cats, however let's not get carried away,? He is arguably playing in the weakest SL ever compared to other years and not done it in a big game yet that has won us CC's or GF's, so long way to go yet till we can compare him to MM for example, however he is playing awesome at the moment!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett