Wigan versus Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wigan versus Warrington

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote:Why does everyone think it is solely down to Shaun Wane as to wanting a team made up of Wigan Academy players?

Ian Lenegan & Kris Radlinski are as much, if not more, to blame than Wane IMO! They hold the purse strings & both are as guilty in wanting to keep the drawstrings pulled very tight!
It's fair point Joise but he certainly does not seem at odds with the choices being made. Plus Wane does not strike me as the type of man that would be told who he can or cannot sign and take it lightly.

My view is with Wane his ego is ahead of his talent as a coach and I think he purposely signs "project" players because in his head he can make someone like Willie ISA into the next SBW.

The other thing is the amount of voices in the camp has certainly dwindled and everything seems to be my way or the highway with wane something several players have fell foul of. If you look at smith and Brian mc both have brought in ex players or coaches to assist where as we have shed them. Deacon and Harris to my knowledge weren't replaced at their current capacity and it certainly seems to be only Wanes voice that's heard which is why I think many struggle to believe that he is being dictated to by others above him
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:Why does everyone think it is solely down to Shaun Wane as to wanting a team made up of Wigan Academy players?

Ian Lenegan & Kris Radlinski are as much, if not more, to blame than Wane IMO! They hold the purse strings & both are as guilty in wanting to keep the drawstrings pulled very tight!
I think IL is a "hands off" chairman who signs who Wane asks and IL will defer to Wane if Wane says he wants to promote an academy player.

The only exception being IL's obsession with bringing players back to the club who left for the NRL to prove a point.
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

If thats the case, IL might get hands on if we lose to Dewsbury
and the way we are attacking our only hope is that they will tire towards the end.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:DaveO, I am not pro Wane at all and not blinded by certain positives he clearly has, ultimately he is the Head Coach of Wigan and we should be winning trophies something we have failed to do for 2 years irrelevant of any reasons/excuses!

However I think at times the forum goes overboard and tries to make him out to be worse than he is with evidence that just isn't there.

I think he is on borrowed time and if the players come back and improve us then great because I want to see us win things more than I want SW to fail, however if we don't then surely he has to go!!
I agree except I do think there is evidence of poor coaching. Two obvious examples are his instance on sticking to the same game plan when the players who might be able to execute it are all injured. All the evidence says he has no idea how to adapt to the injury situation we face.

The other example is his selection policy when he picks two half backs as hookers, an academy 2nd row as a 6 and a prop forward as a 13. He could have had Burke at 13 (played there most of his career) and Powell at 6 with a forward drafted in as hooker. Earlier in the season he had Lockers as a prop (be interesting to see where he plays when other players are fit) when we had enough fit props not to do that.

These are things you can see and don't need to speculate that he is poor because he has favourites or suggest he favours hard work over skill, instead they are IMO obvious mistakes.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I totally agree there is evidence to support poor coaching but at times some posters are critical and use evidence that just isn't there! I suppose every coach has strengths and weaknesses but ultimately the top coaches strengths far outweigh weaknesses, something that SW isn't convincing us of!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Everybody is welcome to their own opinions, but at the emd of the day all we want is to be entertained and win trophies and at the moment it is not happening. If we fail to win something this year SW should either step down or be replaced cannot see how he can remain as coach, 3 years without a trophy is a failure in anyone's book. IMO we need a change no matter what, because we need to keep things fresh and keep bringing new ideas in at the moment we are going backwards or at best standing still.
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

DaveO wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:DaveO, I am not pro Wane at all and not blinded by certain positives he clearly has, ultimately he is the Head Coach of Wigan and we should be winning trophies something we have failed to do for 2 years irrelevant of any reasons/excuses!

However I think at times the forum goes overboard and tries to make him out to be worse than he is with evidence that just isn't there.

I think he is on borrowed time and if the players come back and improve us then great because I want to see us win things more than I want SW to fail, however if we don't then surely he has to go!!
I agree except I do think there is evidence of poor coaching. Two obvious examples are his instance on sticking to the same game plan when the players who might be able to execute it are all injured. All the evidence says he has no idea how to adapt to the injury situation we face.

The other example is his selection policy when he picks two half backs as hookers, an academy 2nd row as a 6 and a prop forward as a 13. He could have had Burke at 13 (played there most of his career) and Powell at 6 with a forward drafted in as hooker. Earlier in the season he had Lockers as a prop (be interesting to see where he plays when other players are fit) when we had enough fit props not to do that.

These are things you can see and don't need to speculate that he is poor because he has favourites or suggest he favours hard work over skill, instead they are IMO obvious mistakes.
I have to agree with some of the selection issues but has he had the luxury of this headache of late? I don't think he has to be fair. I watched the limited attack we had last night and yes is was very stagnant and probably the right wording to use is far too slow against a team like Wire. The passing between Gregson and Sutton was like watching Schoolboys they are not ball players end of story but that's not their fault or Waney's either. George was just coming back from injury, ok there's a case for playing Burke at 13 instead of Sutton as he has a far crisper pass. We were missing the link with Lockers which is vital to the structure Wane plays, we are missing Manfredi's kick returns and energy in our own 20, weve got our first choice back rowers out who are England internationals when all said and done, Ben Flower adds some leadership, he was missing too. We needed a lot of things to go smoothly to have a chance last night because we were handicapped from the start.

Ive watched every game this year and watched other teams and I genuinely think a fully strength Wigan side is the best in the comp. We just need to be a little bit smarter and maybe introduce a couple of new plays, were not as far off as some doom mongers are making out.
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Or in other words would Da Vinci's Mona Lisa look so good if it was done in bic Biro.

You can only work with the tools you get.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:

Or in other words would Da Vinci's Mona Lisa look so good if it was done in bic Biro.

You can only work with the tools you get.
And if you choose to try and paint the Mona Lisa with a bic biro its your own fault when it looks crap and you would deserve all the criticism you get.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Tuigamala wrote:I have to agree with some of the selection issues but has he had the luxury of this headache of late? I don't think he has to be fair.
I think Wane works better when the team picks itself, provided the ones left standing are the senior players. When he starts to think about things odd things happen such as Lockers becoming a prop and Sutton who is a prop is a 13.

Last season he was forced to play Bateman in the centres with Gildart and he ended up with IMO the best centre pairing in the club by pure accident.

When he thinks he decides things Tierney is going to be first choice full back. I am certain he convinces himself players like that are going to have a Roy of the Rovers experience where they turn out to be a sensation.