MATTY SMITH

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
deancartwright1990

MATTY SMITH

Post by deancartwright1990 »

With Mickey Mac, George, Lockers and the returning Tomkins out the side for most the season and injuries to senior players, i am hoping to see more from Matty Smith, the returns of key players in key positions will hopfully take the pressure off Smith and allow him to play better than he has done for most of this season.

1Warrington Wolves
13 10 0 3 391 210 20

2Catalans Dragons
13 9 0 4 382 276 18

3Hull FC
13 9 0 4 351 291 18

4Wigan Warriors
13 9 0 4 248 273 18

5St Helens
13 8 0 5 314 297 16

2 points off the top, only warringtonn have a better defence (and wakefield beat us by 62-0) but only Leeds have a worse attack.... hopfully we can get bodies back and tighten up our defence whilst improving our attack, scoring points and playing good rugby at the same time
nathan_rugby

Re: MATTY SMITH

Post by nathan_rugby »

Old news.

It is very good that we are only 2 points off the top given our injuries but that is because the league itself is very poor.

Although we couldn't expect wonders so far, I think fans expect, and rightly so, just a little bit more in terms of attack. I player of Smith's experience, his performances in some big games and his lacklusture last season really should have brought some fire to his game this year, but it hasn't.

The reason being, he isn't good enough to lead a team on his own. I do not rate one bit of his game.
Defence, kicking, conversions, game management, creativity, passing etc it is all poor.

This should be his last season, given his performances last year and this season so far, it will take a miracle from the 2nd part of the season to convince me he should stay. He isn't getting any younger and certainly isn't improving any part of his game so there is no reason to keep him.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I wonder if much of the analysis completely misses the point. People expect more, but of what exactly? He has a limited range of skills, which he performs pretty well, but they do not include being a serious running threat when the only play maker or having a stunning passing game. He needs good runners and passers around him to be effective.
He is a fairly effective organizer, does not hide and has a decent kicking game. Plus, his drop goal have won us 2 games already this year. While not being primarily the issue, his defence can be awful. He can no more step up as a runner, Andy Greg type passer than a banana can taste like a lemon. It is a re-run of the Moran criticism. We signed a 7 whose single talent was support play and pilloried him for not being a playmaker.
If we want to get rid because his skill set is too limited, then I can see that. I do not see a huge number of obviously better players. If we decide, though, that with Bateman, Lockers, Williams, Powell/Mickey Mac and Sam around him providing running and attacking threats, having someone with his skills around could be useful within the squad then I can see the logic in that.
It is far more complex than he has been rubbish and must go line of argument...
Hanley the God!

Post by Hanley the God! »

Wow! Matty Smith really seems to divide opinion and seems to appear in every thread. But I'm sat here watching Whinos v Cas and I must say that Matty Smith is not good enough to lace Luke Gayle's boots! Now that guy is a quality scrum half in all facets. He can even kick goals :-) And if anybody reminds me that Matty is the England scrum half then I'll suggest that he'll be the Ex-England scrum half very soon.
Ed Osmond

Post by Ed Osmond »

Smith seems to struggle to cope with responsibility when O'Loughlin, Williams, Mickey Mac etc are not playing.
And he is not a good goal-kicker.
Hull is a massive game for us.
We should surely sign Solomona for next season to replace Charnley.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

nathan_rugby wrote:Old news.

It is very good that we are only 2 points off the top given our injuries but that is because the league itself is very poor.

Although we couldn't expect wonders so far, I think fans expect, and rightly so, just a little bit more in terms of attack. I player of Smith's experience, his performances in some big games and his lacklusture last season really should have brought some fire to his game this year, but it hasn't.

The reason being, he isn't good enough to lead a team on his own. I do not rate one bit of his game.
Defence, kicking, conversions, game management, creativity, passing etc it is all poor.

This should be his last season, given his performances last year and this season so far, it will take a miracle from the 2nd part of the season to convince me he should stay. He isn't getting any younger and certainly isn't improving any part of his game so there is no reason to keep him.
He is under immense pressure and if we could find a half back at the right price then he would be on the outer. We will have the opportunity to recruit when Charnley and Sarge leave at the end of the season, if we get it right we will be the dominant team in the British game.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I wonder if much of the analysis completely misses the point. People expect more, but of what exactly?

If we want to get rid because his skill set is too limited, then I can see that.
You answered your own question there at the end.

You seemed to be suggesting in the rest of your post because he has a limited skill set then why should we expect more?

Well obviously because of these limitations, it is holding the team back.