Wigan versus Castleford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
loyalbelfast

Re: Wigan versus Castleford

Post by loyalbelfast »

Warning: Negative time (after a brill win away!)
Repeat Warning: Negative time

So please pass your eye on to the next post if you do not want to read this

if you recorded the game on Sky or get to watch replay of it please watch our tackle attempts on the Cas tries & the ones Cas also got chalked off

Even better if you recorded the game pause play pause etc the video of the tries

Its true but every time Cas got near our line they scored or nearly did! ball just inches short of theline!

A&L(just like Belfast!)
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Fine win had me nervous like sheep all the way ! I think the performances are on the up with the gradual return of all the missing injured, with a stronger Forward pack giving the Halves an improved platform and more time. Think Gelling will strengthen the squad again, together with Faz; not so sure Lockers adds too much on current form and his string of injuries ?
Considering a few posters thought we'd be hammered tonight (and I wasn't sure tbh !) I'm happy with Wane as long as the improvement continues, especially facing all those upcoming Away games.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Thought that was our best performance this season so far, against the "form" side, a Cas side that took warrington apart.

Too many cheap penalties given away their half relieving them the pressure of having to work it out of their half. If we'd avoided them, we'd have won a lot easier.

What a difference a Sam makes (Tomkins). Having him in the team has got our attack working much better, and players like Smith, Williams and Powell seem to find to life. Defensively, Tomkins looks rock solid as well, and he's only played two games in how many months?

Sam Powell's best game for Wigan? Again he put the tackles in, but also offered more in attack. His run on the 4th before Smith's drop-goal sealed the win. Wouldn't have argued against Powell getting the MOTM, but Smith a worthy winner.

Shame Sutton was wrongly denied his try at the end. He worked hard throughout and did well to score that try.

Solomona is a beast of a winger, and although he's a different sort of winger, reminds me of Vainokolo in terms of him being virtually unstoppable on his day. Him on one wing and Dom on the other for Wigan would do me fine!

Credit to Wane for last night's performance as well, he quite rightly gets stick when it isn't going well, but if we continue to play like that for a good run of games I reckon we're going to be the team to beat for the league leader's and beyond.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Without doubt a startling improvement as soon as Sam T back and George also beginning to look more like the player he was last season.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

pedro wrote:It could have cost us though if not from good defence by Sam again
So why not post about 'good defence from Sam' rather than just 4 posts about poor defending from the team?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
So why not post about 'good defence from Sam' rather than just 4 posts about poor defending from the team?
A fantastic win that at unquestionably the toughest ground to play at in the league. Pedro makes a good point though and I dont want this to take any shine off the win at all but we definitely need to tighten up. As Webster said in his post match analysis Wigan are known for their defence and he's right but 34 missed tackles last night, from a Wigan team that needs to improve fast or we will start to lose those nail biters. All I can say is Sam Powell will be Joel Tomkins best mate this morning for stopping Hampshire scoring after taking that dummy and leaving him for dead. Can you imagine if he had gone over there this board would have gone into meltdown :eusa16:

Great victory by the lads Sammy P was my man of the match. Micky Who?
:eusa11: :eusa11: :eusa11: :eusa11: Im going into hiding!
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Tuigamala wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
A fantastic win that at unquestionably the toughest ground to play at in the league. Pedro makes a good point though and I dont want this to take any shine off the win at all but we definitely need to tighten up. As Webster said in his post match analysis Wigan are known for their defence and he's right but 34 missed tackles last night, from a Wigan team that needs to improve fast or we will start to lose those nail biters. All I can say is Sam Powell will be Joel Tomkins best mate this morning for stopping Hampshire scoring after taking that dummy and leaving him for dead. Can you imagine if he had gone over there this board would have gone into meltdown :eusa16:

Think posters are missing my point, I agree the defending was poor at times but for a poster to only posts 4 posts on the thread all relating to poor defending and not acknowledge any positives from the performance is a little weird, maybe they just have very high standards, or maybe not!!

As for Sam P he was excellent last night but let's be honest, he was due one.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Tuigamala wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: So why not post about 'good defence from Sam' rather than just 4 posts about poor defending from the team?

Think posters are missing my point, I agree the defending was poor at times but for a poster to only posts 4 posts on the thread all relating to poor defending and not acknowledge any positives from the performance is a little weird, maybe they just have very high standards, or maybe not!!

As for Sam P he was excellent last night but let's be honest, he was due one.
I actually agree with you I was there and at the time thought our scrambling defence was better than it has been all season. What has to be taken into consideration is we where playing the form side is sl at there own small ground and imo no other team in present sl would have beaten Cas last night.So to pick on a few minor errors is being petty imo. I watched it again when I got home and there was some lapses in defence but nothing major there tries where well worked tries. But the bonus for me was we looked 100 times sharper in attack.I said a month ago I had done with away games but reneged and glad I did we have won both away games since. :D :D
MB

Post by MB »

Matty Smith must be over the moon to have Sam Tomkins and George Williams back.

For the first half of the season he has carried the team around the park whilst being the sole target whenever Wigan went to kick which would put anyone under pressure.

Although not his finest half of a season for Wigan being under that much pressure from teams he has done really well.

Now George and Sam are offering alternatives to kicks teams cannot focus on Matty exclusively which means he is given an extra second to kick.

His last few games for Wigan have been his best, imho, this season but I think a large part of that is that we now have an alternative kicker on the field.

shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

loyalbelfast wrote:A win at Cas , excellent, - 2nd in the league at present.. happy days..c'mon Wigan!

Smithy gets a well earned 8 out of 10 others, others fail to reach these dizzy heights but we dug in well, our try early 2nd half when they had a player sin-binned made such a difference

Our defence needs a bit of work on though, everytime Cas sniffed our line they looked like scoring, most times they did, remember they bombed two tries with the ball just being short

Gildart & Manfredi's tackling is a concern when a player is coming at them with any speed

We give away silly penalities every time we had Cas in their own 20 ..it got annoying at times

Would it be wrong for me to finish after this away win with saying still not sure about Isa ( what a silly offload with the scores the way they were near the end of the game ) , Mossop or J. Tomkins this season

A&L (just like BElfast!)
Our right side defence has been a concern for 18 months, it could be our Achilles heel.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards