Wigan versus Castleford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
superleague

Re: Wigan versus Castleford

Post by superleague »

True blue warrior your making me blush haha, I'm very happy about the win by the way thought we was good in patches and poor in others
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote:In an interview with Wigan TV, Shaun Wane says he went to shake hands with Daryl Powell, & he moreorless says they, Castleford, weren't very happy & that Powell didn't because he was disappointed!!

The Yorkshire press in their interview with Powell inferred that Wigan were slowing the game down! Powell agreed & complained bitterly about the referee being biased towards Wigan!!
Powell is out of order.

I really rate him as a coach and fair enough if he wasn't upset at a loss I'd be upset if I was a Cas fan with him.

BUT slowing the game down is part of how you deal with the opposition. We haven't done that enough ourselves in the recent past - Wakefield being the obvious case in point. Is Powell saying he wouldn;t coach his side to do that if the game warranted it?

Bad sportsmanship is just that. It's the ref he had issues with, not Wane.
Give us a break Mr P. Cas slowed the game down at every scrum and every penalty and every conversion, not just because Webster was in the bin but as a deliberate tactic from the kick-off.

I thought we were excellent in places - iffy in defence - Sutton had an outstanding game (I'm not normally a fan) Crosby was very good but must learn not to be sucked in by clods like Jewison. Ben Flower simply ignored him when he tried it on which is the right way to go about it. I would have given MOM to Sam for those 2 phenomenal try-saving tackles (one with Dom) which had a direct bearing on the match.
We look more and more like a proper Wigan team - all we need is Faz to replace Isa and (rumour alert) Tommy to return at hooker to alternate with Powell and maybe the half-backs.
And didn't we do well to not keep Patrick on - rumour has it that he started last night but never saw him at all.
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

josie andrews wrote:I have to commend Shaun Wane on how he reacts about other teams players & coaches.

Win or lose, he always praises the opposition.

Unlike the majority of the coaches in SL who have nothing good to say about other teams & have no dignity in defeat!

Sour grapes IMO :exc:
I agree Josie.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Me too, I suppose he may have said something at some point about the officials but can't bring an instance to mind so well done Mr Wane.

I know Daryl Powell can't help the size of his nose but I'll swear it gets bigger when he's doing one of his "We wuz robbed" speeches.

He's a model dour Yorkshireman and was bang out of order last night
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
DaveO wrote: Give over. When we had injuries in the first half of the season Smith failed to step up to the plate as a senior player should and was rightly criticised.

Sam T and Williams being out exposed Smith as what he is, average.
Now they are in the side and the team looks better it's obvious they have improved matters.

What happens if Sam or Williams are injured again? There will still be a full back and a 6 on the pitch with him.

Is he not capable of stepping up when the team requires it? I think the answer is obviously not.

That was a very good win at Cas given their form and I don't care if Powell is upset about it but it's obvious Sam adds a great deal to the side. Smith on the other hand :doz:
He got Man of Match Dave!

I wasn't commenting about the match but about the notion he'd really been OK for the first half of the season.

Not related to him in particular but I have said on more than one occasion I felt Wane was pinning his hopes on Sam's return. He does already seem to make a big difference so will our season from now on hinge on him remaining fit?

If so we still need to go and find another quality player because if sides work out how to shut Sam down again we are back to square one if Smith goes into his shell again.
The thread is about last night's match, not the first half of the season!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Powell is a good coach, but his Achillies heel is that he is also well known for being on the surely side and a moaner when things do not go his way!

And is he in a contest with Anderson to be the biggest purveyor of tyke style sour grapes?
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
jobo

Post by jobo »

East Stand Faithful wrote:Classy Cas?

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/ru ... -1-7936552
Sore loser Powell. He had his side too hyped up which lost them energy at vital times.

Good side though Cas
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Typical 'local' news report. Dorn, who has been outstanding this season, actually had a pretty poor match. Solomona was tetchy and niggled away - lucky not to get a 'binning' near the end of the match for serial interference and Jewitt was just there to try and wind-up the oppo. Pity that Crosby fell for it.

Other than that - a fair and accurate report (extracts tongue from cheek).
OJ

Post by OJ »

I particularly liked this bit "a game which continually simmered, unsurprisingly given Wigan’s niggling tactics" - think the niggling tactics started very much with them, they saw Hull bully us a couple of weeks back and tried to do the same. It's going to need a strong ref for the Challenge cup match and hope it's Ben Thaler again, not because of last week but because I genuinely feel he's the best ref at the moment and the only one capable of handling what could be a hot tempered game.

Incidentally hope the RFL agree that Thaler did a good job otherwise he'll be doing what George Stokes did and walking away from the game

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.