Bateman official statement

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Bateman official statement

Post by Mike »

I hope Bateman and all the other players accept this decision and there is minimal simmering resentment.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
robspark

Post by robspark »

Personally I would have let him go
robspark

Post by robspark »

If there is any fact in the rumours
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote:
medlocke wrote:Just a shame the instigator didn't get reprimanded as well, just to be fair
Do you know what exactly happened??

Who is this "instigator" you're referring to??

How do you know what punishment has been handed out to the "instigator" as you put it?

We know what the club has told us. That should be sufficient. They should be commended on their handling of this incident & the outcome.

I know that I am very happy to know that John Bateman will remain at the greatest club in the world, Wigan Warriors ????????

Let's now forget about it, get on with watching our great game & stop pointing fingers ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Sorry, not aloud to talk about it for legal reasons, just glad we've been able to keep Lockers replacement for 2017 :thum:
The Yonner

Post by The Yonner »

Mike wrote:I hope Bateman and all the other players accept this decision and there is minimal simmering resentment.
I would second that, Mike.

Two things in the official statement stand out for me:

"The judgement was reached after a disciplinary panel listened to testimony and evidence for a second time to ensure appropriate conclusions and actions."

The implication here is that a different conclusion and proposed action had been reached first time round.

Now I have no problem with decisions being changed on appeal, and I very much hope the grounds for appeal were well argued and accepted by the management.

However, the statement: "A comprehensive investigation involving external judicial expertise" is slightly worrying. In my experience as a trade union rep I have learned that legal "experts" sticking their oar in are invariably a hindrance to a just and equitable outcome being reached. In fact most disciplinary procedures expressly forbid the employee from being accompanied by anybody other than a union rep or work colleague.

I hope the threat of possible legal action has not influenced the club's decision.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It may mean the clubs own legal team.

Higgy was the clubs solicitor at one time, don't know who they are now, but I think Paul Prescott was on the clubs legal team, as a qualified solicitor, before he left for a premiership football club
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Peter252

Post by Peter252 »

It's normal practise to consult outside legal expertise for employment law issues just to avoid the possibility of unlawful dismissal. As a union rep, you will know yourself it's now a minefield for both sides.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Why only Bsteman :exc: Last time I remember an altercation required two individuals :wink: The club will be :blush: as the Hatdock player outing was something they organised officially as down time between matches.
Wes

Post by Wes »

cpwigan wrote:Why only Bsteman :exc: Last time I remember an altercation required two individuals :wink: The club will be :blush: as the Hatdock player outing was something the organised officially as down time between matches.
Welcome back!
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I just wonder if the fine is suspended? or half of it.