Powell must count the cost of verbal attack on referee Thaler

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Powell must count the cost of verbal attack on referee Thaler

Post by josie andrews »

Castleford coach Daryl Powell has become the latest Super League coach to be fined for criticising a referee.

Powell accused Grand Final referee Ben Thaler of losing his cool after his side suffered a 33-26 defeat by Wigan Warriors last month.

Powell, who spoke out in the post-match press conference, has been fined £500 and warned as to his future conduct after being found guilty of improper conduct.

Half the fine is suspended until the end of the 2017 season and Powell has 14 days in which to submit any appeal.

Paul Anderson (Huddersfield) and Denis Betts (Widnes) have also been fined this season for publicly criticising a referee.

Salford have been ordered to appear in front of Rugby Football League tribunal to answer a charge of misconduct.

The Red Devils have been charged with breaching RFL operational rules following a crowd disturbance at the end of their 26-24 win at Huddersfield on Easter Monday.

Salford players Justin Carney and Junior Sa’u entered the crowd after the final whistle to protect their families caught up in fighting among the Salford fans and police were called.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/s ... z4BcluNoVE
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Powell must count the cost of verbal attack on referee Thaler

Post by josie andrews »

Powell, who spoke out in the post-match press conference, has been fined £500 and warned as to his future conduct after being found guilty of improper conduct.

Half the fine is suspended until the end of the 2017 season and Powell has 14 days in which to submit any appeal.
What's the point? :conf: :conf:
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
markill

Post by markill »

Rugby league isn't awash with money Josie. Whilst he'll be earning more than your average fan, I'm sure this is still a deterrent. The good thing is he's being punished and not let off. Maybe he wants to learn the laws of the game then he won't get fined for criticising an official that applied them correctly.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

markill wrote:Rugby league isn't awash with money Josie. Whilst he'll be earning more than your average fan, I'm sure this is still a deterrent. The good thing is he's being punished and not let off. Maybe he wants to learn the laws of the game then he won't get fined for criticising an official that applied them correctly.
Fair enough Mark, I was just annoyed that he spoke the way he did after what I thought was an excellent game & when I watched it back when I got home, I didn't feel Thaler did anything wrong or was his attitude was towards both sets of players IMO
SJ

Post by SJ »

This is a risk coaches take by accepting to be interviewed At the end of a game when perhaps they are full of emotion. Best to leave post match interview when the interviewee is more in control of his feelings and hence more circumspect It's cheaper :)
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

josie andrews wrote:
markill wrote:Rugby league isn't awash with money Josie. Whilst he'll be earning more than your average fan, I'm sure this is still a deterrent. The good thing is he's being punished and not let off. Maybe he wants to learn the laws of the game then he won't get fined for criticising an official that applied them correctly.
Fair enough Mark, I was just annoyed that he spoke the way he did after what I thought was an excellent game & when I watched it back when I got home, I didn't feel Thaler did anything wrong or was his attitude was towards both sets of players IMO
yet not a castleford fan will admit it :D, they seem to agree with the coach and use how Thaler talked to Gale then to Smith, not one points out Gales Was screaming in Thalers face and Smith was just talking.

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
markill

Post by markill »

Has anyone seen about the fans just giving fund to pay the fine!?

Fair play to Powell that he's saying the money will be donated to the family of young Ronan Costello who tragically passed away.

Still no acknowledgment though that the decisions he was criticising and was fined for were correct. Or that he actually did anything wrong at all with his comments. In fact, he's praising the fans for the togetherness shown when the club has had something go against them. Incredible.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote:
Thought Thaler had a good game when i watched it back,but at the ground i have to say from where im sat some of his decsions did look odd but as i say correct when i saw them later on.

Powell was crass when he attacked Thaler if his players had a bit less lip they would get a little more leeway from him,that said i thought Thaler made a bad call with Joel and the throw against hull kr for me he should have been sin binned it looked awful.