THE NEW MATTY SMITH

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
old hooker

Re: THE NEW MATTY SMITH

Post by old hooker »

Would Smith have NZ Warriors chasing him if he left Wigan as they did Tommy?,Or any other NRL side for that matter,Would Matty Smith have played for NZ 34 times had he been eligible, there is no comparison between the two.Tommy is quicker, stronger and far better defensively.

moto748

Post by moto748 »

Maybe the idea is to start bringing Shorrocks through next season?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Shorrocks will probably be brought through next year.
Why then do we need Tommy L?

As for half backs we have Williams, Smith, Hampshire and Powell then Shorrocks. There's also Sam Tomkins.
So why do we need another?

If TL was to go full time coaching then ok. A playing contract though?
As for TL replacing Smith, that not just mad but absolutely barking mad!
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

The Castleford game.... Smith played his usual game and did nothing spectacular in the first half... Yet again it was a case of moving the ball out wide were on this occasion we broke the opposition down in the first half..... Smith should be creating thing in the middle as well as distributing out wide something he did not do throughout the game. The second half was more like the Wigan of old... Poor organisation that led to silly penalties. Cas were the better team in the second half and I'm very glad to say the damage was already done. Smith is a poor player and that's no mistake but so long as he just passes the ball to players without creating something and that player breaks the line then we will be OK.

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wigan Watcher wrote:The Castleford game.... Smith played his usual game and did nothing spectacular in the first half... Yet again it was a case of moving the ball out wide were on this occasion we broke the opposition down in the first half..... Smith should be creating thing in the middle as well as distributing out wide something he did not do throughout the game. The second half was more like the Wigan of old... Poor organisation that led to silly penalties. Cas were the better team in the second half and I'm very glad to say the damage was already done. Smith is a poor player and that's no mistake but so long as he just passes the ball to players without creating something and that player breaks the line then we will be OK.

So you have completely dismissed the fantastic, dominant first 40 and focused on the 2nd 40 when it was job done and Cas had nothing to lose........ok then!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wigan Watcher wrote:The Castleford game.... Smith played his usual game and did nothing spectacular in the first half... Yet again it was a case of moving the ball out wide were on this occasion we broke the opposition down in the first half..... Smith should be creating thing in the middle as well as distributing out wide something he did not do throughout the game. The second half was more like the Wigan of old... Poor organisation that led to silly penalties. Cas were the better team in the second half and I'm very glad to say the damage was already done. Smith is a poor player and that's no mistake but so long as he just passes the ball to players without creating something and that player breaks the line then we will be OK.

So you have completely dismissed the fantastic, dominant first 40 and focused on the 2nd 40 when it was job done and Cas had nothing to lose........ok then!!
That sort of logic boggles the mind doesnt it?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

He is not Wigan standard but is now doing ok. A good number 7 and we would have won the GF in 2014 and 2015. Our forwards gave him enough field position and space to win two Harry Sunderland awards but he didn't have the skill, speed or nouse to do so. To be a top team you need a top half back.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I think it's fair to say that even though Cas were well beaten, Gale still looked more of a threat than Smith.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

moto748 wrote:I think it's fair to say that even though Cas were well beaten, Gale still looked more of a threat than Smith.
Exactly... Smiths game is average even when our forwards get on top.. your comments have simply nailed it.

All that said and even the few on here with little knowledge can read I'm not a fan even though as I have said before the guy is a really nice guy off the field... Well I guess he is a nice guy on the field also.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Very strange.

One supporter saying Smith is good when the forwards are on top and another saying he is average when the forwards are on top.

Poor lad can never win!